Author Topic: Looking for a long audiobook  (Read 3549 times)

Darryncosta

on: December 27, 2018, 08:48:20 AM
Mod note: this is the original text of the post before it was edited to include spam links.

So I drive truck for a living and am looking for good audiobook. I've just finished all of "Game of Thrones" and need a long break from fantasy. I've read every Vonnegut book besides "the pianist" and really loved PKD's "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch". I know Vonnegut and PKD are kind of like yin and yang, I'm just trying to make it clear that I'm not an idiot truck driver, while also pretentiously bragging about being well read. To sum it up I'm looking for a long-ass book that can be either complex and arduous or light and easy. It just has to be good. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 01:01:40 AM by eytanz »

savanni

• Extern
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 02:46:57 PM
Anathem, by Neil Stephenson, is on the order of 35 hours long. I would imagine that Seven Eves is about as long, but I read that one instead of listening. I loved both books, but not everyone did. Other things by Stephenson are equally long, and a lot of people enjoyed the Baroque Cycle (three novels, each one about the length of Anathem), though I couldn't get into them.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 03:37:16 PM
Alan Moore's JERUSALEM is outstanding and quite long!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 01:47:31 AM
I find that hearing the unabridged World War Z audiobook is superior to reading it. For those of you who have not experienced it, we are presented with a series of journalistic interviews of a number of people who lived through the zombie apocalypse, from patient zero through crash to recovery. Max Brooks went to great lengths to find appropriate narrators for each of the different interviewees, and it’s easy to lose yourself in the story. A personal favorite is Henry Rollins delivering the story of a bodyguard who was employed to protect an ill-conceived reality show from the invaders at the gate during the crash.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 01:50:12 AM
If you're looking for an entertaining series, I'm working through Stross's Laundry Files books. There's ten in the series now, I think, and the audiobooks are quite enjoyable. Good Mythos response with shades of a modern Carnacki, with bouts of solid hard science fiction.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

eytanz

Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 12:59:54 AM
Just a quick note - this thread was started by a spammer who posted an on-topic seeming post which then was edited to include phishing links. I'm keeping the thread up as there were useful responses that may interest other people.