Author Topic: PseudoPod 628: A Spider Trapped in Wax  (Read 1711 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: December 29, 2018, 03:55:09 AM
PseudoPod 628: A Spider Trapped in Wax

Author: Matt Dovey
Narrator: Katherine Inskip
Host: Alasdair Stuart

PseudoPod 628: A Spider Trapped in Wax is a PseudoPod original.

Show Notes
This story was first drafted for a Hallowe’en story contest in the Codex writers group, based on two story seeds provided by Merc Rustad and Stewart C. Baker: “A spider with legs dipped in wax sits atop yards of black lace” and “In the centre of the mansion, there is a room with windows”, respectively. The basic idea was pretty easy given such foundations, and the first draft came out suspiciously easily, but as usually happens with these things I didn’t fully realise what I was writing about until two or three drafts in. As my kids grow up into individuals, with their own challenges and celebrations, I’m increasingly aware of the way I come across as a father, and the ways in which we–I–inevitably repeat the mistakes and successes of our own parents–because what other example do we have to learn from? Some of those lessons are sunk in so deep you don’t even realise they’re there. Though I’m fortunate in never having known the sort of physical or emotional cruelty shown in the story, there are other aspects of who I am and how I react that I struggle to keep in check. It’s worth the effort, though; to be honest, I can’t think of any effort more important. How else will the chain ever be broken?

Lindom Hall was a cold place; a lonely place; an empty place of stone and echoes. Margaret had her servants, of course, but they hardly counted. She had grown used to the silence, perhaps, but never truly comfortable with it.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 09:16:16 PM
That was a nasty, nasty piece of work. I LOVED IT. BTW, once episode 630 gets uploaded, I'll transfer my post from the Gallimaufry or MISC sub-forum.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:18:19 PM by Scuba Man »

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 08:41:35 PM
On my most recent listen, I was really struck by the possibility of the curse beginning to transfer during that final interaction between the mother and her son. Or is couold just be humans holding grudges and being cruel. But the subtlety is there.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”