Author Topic: Film Poll VII: The Search for Plot  (Read 5878 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: November 21, 2007, 06:18:59 PM
Blade Runner was a very clear winner last week.  I'm not sure if the random batch of films this week can really challenge it, but there are some great movies in here...

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 06:56:00 PM
Not exactly a tough choice because I'll still go with Blade Runner over the others in terms of influence it's had on me.  That said, I love love love Last Crusade and Big Trouble in Little China (actually, the latter is every bit as much fun to me as say Army of Darkness). 

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 07:12:24 PM
Once again it's a no-brainer.  Blade Runner by a huge margin.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 07:47:36 PM
I've got to go with "Big Trouble...".  It's one of my all time favorites, and if they were both on cable at the same time, I'd have to watch Jack Burton, no hesitation.  That said, Blade Runner is the superior film.

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 08:22:30 PM
Is it worth retiring Blade Runner for some later Grand Final round?  Unless Star Wars or The Princess Bride is in next week's batch, I can see this getting repetitive...

Russell Nash

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 08:35:49 PM
Is it worth retiring Blade Runner for some later Grand Final round?  Unless Star Wars or The Princess Bride is in next week's batch, I can see this getting repetitive...

That's kind of the problem with these MTV style polls.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 08:48:36 PM
I'm not sure if it will be next week, but Star Wars and Princess Bride will be coming up at some point.  Actually, all three of the original Star Wars movies, plus other things like Brazil or Aliens that might have a chance to knock it out.  So we'll see...

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 02:59:01 AM
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?  This isn't the suckiest movies voting list is it?  That was a hackneyed plotless vehicle, and they ruined so many cool things about Indiana Jones - the dog's name was Indy?  The Dad actually thinks the hot chick is hitting on him?  Sheesh!

Perhaps the polls need a common theme to make the voting more interesting.  Maybe all sci-fi related or all "good" movies starring Harrison Ford or movies with a similar plot (Alien Invasions, Robot vs Man, Superhero, etc.).

Dr. No is a fantatsic movie but it has little in common with Blade Runner - it's like comparing Seinfeld to West Wing - sure they are both TV shows...