Author Topic: EP Review: Beowulf, Grendel, and Beowulf  (Read 23092 times)

Yossarian's grandson

• Palmer
  • Wisdom is knowing when to jump
Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 10:40:08 AM
True, true. It's just that English language originals are sometimes hard to come by where I live (The Netherlands). And I'm not a great fan of ordering online, because I don't have a credit card (don't want one either).

Back to topic though:
' Sucked mightely' is a bit of an understatement, I feel. I couldn't even sit through the whole thing....

Sullydog

• Extern
Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 02:37:08 PM
True, true. It's just that English language originals are sometimes hard to come by where I live (The Netherlands). And I'm not a great fan of ordering online, because I don't have a credit card (don't want one either).

If you send me your address, and promise to read it, I'll see to it that you get a copy.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 01:37:32 AM
I disagree with Sullydog about the Beowulf & Grendel (2005) movie. I found it quite enjoyable and well worth the rental. I haven't seen the one with Christopher Lambert, but it doesn't surprise me that it sucked. I haven't liked anything I've seen with Christopher Lambert in it.

In all versions of Beowulf (text and film) though, I keep seeing the plot hole. Why not have a couple of the guys stay awake all night in Heorot? I mean, hello - if you are at risk of being torn to pieces in the middle of the night, how could you sleep anyway?

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

WriterWolf

• Extern
Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 04:39:43 AM
In all versions of Beowulf (text and film) though, I keep seeing the plot hole. Why not have a couple of the guys stay awake all night in Heorot? I mean, hello - if you are at risk of being torn to pieces in the middle of the night, how could you sleep anyway?

You're missing the point of this, and heoric literature in general, to see that as a plot hole.  The problem was never that Hrothgar's thanes were being caught asleep or otherwise unaware.  The problem was that even an entire army of mortal men could never have defeated Grendel.  The reason Beowulf triumphs is that he is MORE than a mere mortal.   This Anglo-Saxon poem lacks the "child of thus and such god" lineage embrodiery that the Graeco-Roman texts would have included (Much to the benefit of the Beowulf-story IMO), but Beowulf should definitely be understood as a man beyond men.  HE can defeat Grendel etc. because he's playing on the same level that they are.

Eric

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 01:38:13 PM
And I'm not a great fan of ordering online, because I don't have a credit card (don't want one either).

*Veering off topic - sorry*

Get a debit card.  Funds come directly out of your checking account.  No interest - no horrific consumer debt.  I buy tons of books and music with it.  I never use my credit card. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #30 on: December 16, 2007, 10:56:24 PM
And I'm not a great fan of ordering online, because I don't have a credit card (don't want one either).

*Veering off topic - sorry*

Get a debit card.  Funds come directly out of your checking account.  No interest - no horrific consumer debt.  I buy tons of books and music with it.  I never use my credit card. 

There is also PayPal.  They are practically an online back now, from what I gather.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #31 on: December 16, 2007, 11:00:46 PM
What is this?  No one remembers the 1999 Christopher Lambert version? <snip>
Gah... I need to go brush my teeth now.

Dude, I remember. I mentioned it in my review. "Sucked mightily" were the words I used, if memory serves. You were warned. :)

Sullydog

See kids, just goes to show that paying attention for a few seconds can save many minutes of agony.

Quote from: Planish
I haven't liked anything I've seen with Christopher Lambert in it.

It's kind of like that tendency people have to sample the dairy products in the fridge even though they know they're past their expiration date.  "Gee, I liked Highlander... maybe this won't be so bad.... Oh, God, IT IS!!!"  [much violent over-reacting]

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #32 on: January 03, 2008, 05:48:47 AM
The reason Beowulf triumphs is that he is MORE than a mere mortal.  ...  HE can defeat Grendel etc. because he's playing on the same level that they are.
Hmmm. He's certainly not the "reluctant hero" that is more common in stories.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

WriterWolf

• Extern
Reply #33 on: January 03, 2008, 01:13:29 PM
Indeed, "Reluctant Hero" is a pretty rcent motif, off hand I can't think of anything older than medieval literature that features anything close, and even then it's a pretty rare archetype.

It probably has something to do with the fact that in the modern western world survival, real actual survival, not just comfort, is really not very challenging.  In the ancient world strength of body and overriding self-confidence were definitely admirable, and indeed neccesary traits.

Eric 

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #34 on: January 04, 2008, 04:35:45 AM
Yes, I think the words we have in our culture for the Beowulf kind of "non-reluctant" hero include "jerk", "thrill-seeking" and "arrogant"... though not necessarily in that order.

WriterWolf

• Extern
Reply #35 on: January 04, 2008, 04:48:35 AM
No doubt about it!  That's one of the things that most fascinate me about warrior-culture.  The same sort of fellows who once would have been made kings and worshiped as living gods would today generally be mocked and denegrated.   At best they might play professional sports ;)  And even that certainly isn't neccesarily a recipie for rspect.

Yet, in their context, these ancient hero-types are still pretty wonderful to behold.

D/L

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #36 on: April 02, 2008, 04:20:29 PM
I finally checked this out the other night and really enjoyed it.  It had all the makings of a tragedy and I was surprised by how involved I was with the humanity the actors brought to their roles, specifically Malkovich, Hopkins, and Gleeson, but Winstone's Beowulf was awesome.  He was a cocky, arrogant hero who I ended up loving.  The scene with the "sea monsters" fascinated me -- it could've been straight out of the pages of the Sandman.  I'd really recommend this one.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 07:00:12 PM
I haven't seen the newest adaptation, and I haven't really had the desire to.  Computer graphics is great and all, but if it's not going to look real, then I'd prefer that it not look ALMOST real.  CG in movies like Shrek are great.  Real life action is also great.  But why have an Angelina Jolie that looks like a plastic doll of Angelina Jolie when you could just have her actually act in person and do CG effects around her (like 300 or other of the type).  Also, it's been a while since I've read the original, but I thought Grendel's mom was pretty monstrous, definitely not a Lara Croft body type.

I do generally like the original work, action packed, full of good adventure.  And I find it fascinating how boasting was almost it's own language and a badge of courage rather than just being annoying to all.  Modesty was definitely not a virtue!