Author Topic: PseudoPod 629: Slipping Petals from Their Skins  (Read 1634 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: February 06, 2019, 11:35:27 PM
PseudoPod 629: Slipping Petals from Their Skins

Author: Kristi Demeester
Narrator: Nika Harper
Host: Setsu Uzume

“Slipping Petals from Their Skins” was originally published in Gamut Magazine.

Show Notes
This story was inspired by my childhood obsession with Cicely Mary Barker’s Flower Fairies books and imagining that if I ate flowers, I could become one of those fairies.

Carolina smells of viburnum when we bury her. My sister and I stand over the closed casket and pretend the fetid, cloying scent is the death lilies wreathed about the church, but of course we know better. Know if we opened up the box we’d put her in and pried open her mouth, those tiny white flowers would peek out from her throat like lace against her teeth.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 03:48:36 AM
I loved this episode, it was uncomfortable yet at the same time reassuringly familiar. I found myself thinking of the line from Alan Garner's "The Owl Service",  'She wants to be flowers, but you make her owls. You must not complain, then, if she goes hunting.' This story evoked similar feelings in me as that book did 40 years ago, not quite scared, but really happy the lights were on.

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 12:52:03 AM
Listening to this one again it struck me how much this resonated with Salem's Lot, except this is way prettier.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”