Author Topic: EP 664: The Day Girl  (Read 2094 times)

divs

on: February 08, 2019, 10:18:48 PM
Escape Pod 664: The Day Girl

AUTHOR : Rivqa Rafael
NARRATOR : Pamela Quevillon
HOST: Tina Connolly

---

Mother never wanted me to take the meteorology job. “Those high fences and secret regulations,” she said. “There’s something shady about Rubens’ Medicines” —dear Mother’s tone was sarcastic when she wished it— “mark my words, Genevieve. Dull work, too, and why don’t they use automatons?” But it was that or go in as a governess or lady’s maid, and that would have been a bitter pill to swallow indeed.

I smile wryly at my little medicinal joke as I smooth down the page of the logbook. In any case, testimonials prove the worth of Rubens’ medicinal tonic above our competitors across Britain (to say nothing of the endorsement of Queen Victoria’s Surgeon): Worth every penny to save Da from consumption… Jarvis’ Elixir did nothing but Rubens’ saved her… The only cure, everyone knows it…

The hours are long, true, but the nursery is a pleasant place to work, with its high glass ceilings. I like seeing the tidy berry crops from my laboratory bench. Besides, it’s warm in winter, if a little stifling in summer.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 08:12:45 PM
I enjoyed this story. I am not sure that the character's development was believable  - it just seemed to happen too abruptly. But, I did enjoy the telling of the story, regardless. Very fun.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 08:15:14 PM
Forgot to mention that I really enjoyed Pamela Gay's narration. Beautiful voice, smoothly read! Well done.