Author Topic: The Golden Compass (spoilers hidden)  (Read 17706 times)

DarkKnightJRK

• Peltast
Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 05:34:28 AM
I thought it was a good movie--not as good as the book, but hey, what movie is ever as good as the book?

My only problem was the ending. I mean, it works as an ending, but it's not the greatest place to end it. It would be like ending Back to the Future with Marty getting into bed after getting back to his time--sure it works, but the Delorian flying towards the camera is SUCH a better, dynamic ending.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 01:42:30 PM
I thought it was a good movie--not as good as the book, but hey, what movie is ever as good as the book?

My only problem was the ending. I mean, it works as an ending, but it's not the greatest place to end it. It would be like ending Back to the Future with Marty getting into bed after getting back to his time--sure it works, but the Delorian flying towards the camera is SUCH a better, dynamic ending.

Well, the book ended after another crisis point, with Lyra going into the parallel world.  But Hollywood loves an ending after a big battle, and IIRC, there was no real additional fighting.  The ending really pissed me off in that regard.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

scottjanssens

• Palmer
Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 03:55:32 PM
I just saw this film a week ago.  I haven't read the book so perhaps I can offer a different perspective.

The biggest issue I have is the worldbuilding didn't hold together.  To me, it just seemed like a bunch of interesting visuals thrown on the screen without any thought put into how these things would affect each other as well as the people in this world.  In other words the setting lacked verisimilitude. 

DarkKnightJRK

• Peltast
Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 03:11:05 AM

Well, the book ended after another crisis point, with Lyra going into the parallel world.  But Hollywood loves an ending after a big battle, and IIRC, there was no real additional fighting.  The ending really pissed me off in that regard.

That's true, but there's betrayal, a lot more drama, and Lyra going into the parallel world.

Better example: Ending The Golden Compass the way it did is like ending The Fellowship of the Ring after they get out of the cave thing.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 03:20:22 AM
Better example: Ending The Golden Compass the way it did is like ending The Fellowship of the Ring after they get out of the cave thing.

More like ending it after they leave Lothlorien (but before the orc attack, the death of Boromir, and the departure of Frodo and Sam.)

[edit]
No, now that I think of it, you're right.  Lothlorien in LotR:FotR is like Lord Asriel's castle in The Golden Compass.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 03:25:01 AM by stePH »

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising