Author Topic: Terry Pratchett News  (Read 26646 times)

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #25 on: May 10, 2008, 03:14:15 PM
Start at The Light Fantastic. That's where I did anyways. Snag the next one too so you can find out what happens. You wont want to be kept waiting. I haven't read them, I listened to the Audiobooks, in case it matters. I reccomend them, but if I had the time, I'd love to just read them, too.

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.

Troo

• Palmer
    • Hello Spacegirl
Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 04:12:34 PM
I started with Sourcery, then went back to The Colour of Magic and read them chronologically ever since.

Trudi Topham,
Editor, Pantechnicon.
Editor, Hub.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 05:18:29 PM
I wrote this story to raise awareness for Alzheimer's research and to support JOGLE (link in my post of story) which is also raising funds for research. It is also a nod to Mr. Pratchett in the fact it is a story about a wizard. Read it here. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 06:25:55 PM
Start at The Light Fantastic. That's where I did anyways. Snag the next one too so you can find out what happens. You wont want to be kept waiting.

ITYM start with The Colour of Magic, as The Light Fantastic is its immediate sequel.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

lieffeil

• Palmer
    • spring forward, fall back
Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 07:14:19 PM
Alzheimer's has got to be the most tragic disease for intellectuals and authors, I would think.
Does anyone remember the movie Iris, based on Iris Murdoch? I saw it once when I was younger, and I can't recall the specifics, only the overwhelming feeling of tragedy that hung over me for days afterwards.
I only recently discovered Pratchett, starting with Soul Music. I thought he was wonderful. And that's one of the great things about literature, I suppose. No matter what happens or how many books he writes, they'll always be there, and his influence will continue long after he's stopped writing.
Terrible news.

...you've got three metric seconds.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 08:54:25 PM
Start at The Light Fantastic. That's where I did anyways. Snag the next one too so you can find out what happens. You wont want to be kept waiting.

ITYM start with The Colour of Magic, as The Light Fantastic is its immediate sequel.

Oops, my bad. Sorry about that.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 09:04:23 PM
Oops, my bad. Sorry about that.

Hey, these things just happen sometimes.  :)

Russell Nash

Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 09:51:38 PM

I agree, start right at the beginning.  The first few books aren't as good as the others, but they're easy reads.  Whenever I start a Stephen King, I have to decide if I'm in the mood to  slog through 700 pages until it gets to the good parts.  With Pratchett 700 pages has you on at least the third book. 

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #33 on: July 19, 2008, 04:40:16 AM
Good gosh that stinks to the high heavens. I seriously hope for the best in this case. I've loved Pratchett for years now.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 05:03:25 AM
I can't remember if I posted this here before, but here it is: A story to raise awareness, and maybe money, for Alzheimer's Research.

tazo

• Extern
    • Musings with a Flashlight under the covers
Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 03:38:30 PM
I will say though that while you should start at The Colour of Magic like everyone suggests, one of the really amazing things about Discworld is that you can pick up the series just about anywhere and not really be overly confused.  Lord knows I read the books way out of order and never really felt particularly lost. 

The orders was known as "Whatever our library happened to have.  And then the order they came in."

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 04:27:45 PM
I will say though that while you should start at The Colour of Magic like everyone suggests, one of the really amazing things about Discworld is that you can pick up the series just about anywhere and not really be overly confused.  Lord knows I read the books way out of order and never really felt particularly lost. 

The orders was known as "Whatever our library happened to have.  And then the order they came in."

I think one should at least make the effort to start at the beginning of a particular subseries.  So if one is interested in the City Watch, pick up Guards! Guards!, and if one wants the lowdown on Death, start with Mort, for example.

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #37 on: August 02, 2008, 01:30:41 AM
I think one should at least make the effort to start at the beginning of a particular subseries.  So if one is interested in the City Watch, pick up Guards! Guards!, and if one wants the lowdown on Death, start with Mort, for example.

That's not a bad idea.  My first Pratchett was Jingo!, which is about as random a Pratchett novel as one can find (it's in the middle of the City Watch subseries).  I didn't have any trouble following the plot, but it felt like Pratchett just assumed I knew about the background of a couple of specific characters.  Still, it was nothing a few quick Wikipedia searches couldn't cure.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

eytanz

Reply #38 on: August 02, 2008, 07:49:27 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted here before:

The Discworld reading order guide

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #39 on: August 02, 2008, 04:30:25 PM

That looks pretty good, except that I'm inclined to dispute that Pyramids and Small Gods are of a series.  To be fair though, I haven't read/listened to Pyramids but I thought both were completely stand-alones.  One can certainly pick up Small Gods as a first Discworld novel.

Russell Nash

Reply #40 on: August 02, 2008, 07:21:02 PM

Been posting a couple of times before.  Most recently here.

eytanz

Reply #41 on: August 02, 2008, 07:58:21 PM

That looks pretty good, except that I'm inclined to dispute that Pyramids and Small Gods are of a series.  To be fair though, I haven't read/listened to Pyramids but I thought both were completely stand-alones.  One can certainly pick up Small Gods as a first Discworld novel.

Well, note that the line between them is dotted unlike the straight line connecting proper series.

That said, I agree with you. Small Gods is a perfectly good place to start.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 08:00:04 PM by eytanz »

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #42 on: August 02, 2008, 09:24:27 PM

Well, note that the line between them is dotted unlike the straight line connecting proper series.

I saw that, but the shading also indicates Pyramids as a "starting" volume.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #43 on: August 03, 2008, 12:54:29 AM
just noticed it's discworld's 25th anniversary.

thanks Terry! you've made the years lighter and i think i speak for everyone when i say one book every eight months isn't nearly enough. =)