Author Topic: CoW Ep. 353: Artemis Rising 5 – With Cardamom I’ll Bind Their Lips  (Read 3254 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Cast of Wonders 353: Artemis Rising 5 – With Cardamom I’ll Bind Their Lips

• Author: Beth Cato
• Narrator: Nika Harper
• Artemis Rising 5 Artist: Yuumei
• Host: Amy Brennan
• Audio Producer: Jeremy Carter
Cast of Wonders 353: With Cardamom I’ll Bind Their Lips was originally published in Uncanny Magazine in April 2017.
Click here to listen to Episode 353

In the spring after the war’s end, the soldiers’ spirits began to wander home, and Lady Magdalena bound their lips with cardamom so that they could not speak.

“These souls walked for months, their only thought to return home. You must remember, little of their personality remains at this point. They are solid enough to nudge furniture and not sink through the floor, but they’re not fully here.”

I watched as she mixed a pinch of fragrant cardamom with pale butter and a dribble of honey. Ground cardamom spice, strong as it was, could bridge the lands of the living and dead; butter acted as a binding agent; and honey recalled the sweetness of life.

Tags: Amy Brennan, animals, Artemis Rising 5, Beth Cato, Cast of Wonders, communication, death, ghosts, investigation, Jeremy Carter, KB Sluss, learning, Marguerite Kenner, mentor, Modern Fantasy, Nika Harper, respect, sealing, secret, spirits, Young Adult fiction

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Enjoyable story, and the cat was perfect! Nika killed with this narration, too!

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”