Author Topic: CoW Ep. 354: Artemis Rising 5 – Wordslinger, Wordwreaker (And Ep. 397!)  (Read 2517 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Cast of Wonders 354: Artemis Rising 5 – Wordslinger, Wordwreaker

Also, Episode 397! A Staff Pick for 2019! Hosted by Assistant Editor KB Sluss!

• Author: Amanda Helms
• Narrator: Stephanie Malia Morris
• Artemis Rising 5 Artist: Yuumei
• Host, Episode 354: Mary Fan
• Host, Episode 397: KB Sluss
• Audio Producer: Jeremy Carter

"Wordslinger, Wordwreaker" is a Cast of Wonders original.

Click here to listen to Episode 354
Click here to listen to Episode 397

The wordslinger first came into Lasthope on the back of a scarab the size of a large pony, during the worst flaying-wind storm in a generation.

Mind, we didn’t know then that she was a wordslinger, or even that she was a she. I didn’t witness it direct, but later one of our regulars told me of her, all bundled up in hat and gloves and too-big cloak, on account of them winds, you see. She climbed off her scarab with the stiffness of someone too long in the saddle. But like any rider worth her salt, she saw to her mount afore she came into the saloon, which is where I first saw her myself.

Tags:  Amanda Helms, Artemis Rising 5, beetles, Cast of Wonders, Jeremy Carter, KB Sluss, magic, Mary Fan, revenge, rhymes, scarab, showdown, Staff Picks, Stephanie Malia Morris, Weird Western, western, Young Adult fiction, Yuumei

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 03:01:35 PM by Languorous Lass »

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 07:40:37 PM
This one was a lot of fun. I liked how it combined wild west tropes with the rap battle.

Something I'd love to see as this world develops is whether wordslingers would grow to have a lot of alliteration and meter during their normal conversation. This brought to mind Tom Bombadil, and that most (all?) of his dialogue can be reassigned into poetic line, even though it is not presented in that fashion on the page.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”