Author Topic: Film Poll XI: The Further Adventures  (Read 6406 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: December 19, 2007, 06:53:30 PM
While the worst film poll wraps up, this poll just continues on and on, finding the movies you like best.  Last week, that was the Matrix.  This week it goes up against: Mel Gibson saving Scotland for freedom; Jamie Lee Curtis and half of Monty Python in the world's funniest heist movie; the classic of classic science fiction starring Leslie Nielsen and Robbie the Robot - plotted by William Shakespeare (it's a re-visioning of The Tempest); and we also have an quirky film starring Karen Allen and John Rhys-Davies about an archaeologist and something to do with the 10 commandments - doesn't sound that exciting.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 08:14:05 PM by Ocicat »

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 08:01:19 PM
I can't hear Raiders of the Lost Ark without hearing the theme and smiling.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:36:25 PM

I can't stop thinking about that irritating kid Short Round in Temple of Doom.  Aarrghh!  Raiders was awesome but I'm going with Mr. Anderson and the Matrix. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Russell Nash

Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 09:43:45 PM

I can't stop thinking about that irritating kid Short Round in Temple of Doom.  Aarrghh!  Raiders was awesome but I'm going with Mr. Anderson and the Matrix. 

You're blaming Raiders for a lame sequel and then you're going with the Matrix? ???

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 09:45:51 PM

Yet you can get past Morpheus leading a rave and hours of tension-less action due to Mr. Anderson not really being dead but unkillable (just like Neo), not to mention the other saviour of Zion...The Kid?  (Don't get me started on Zee, Link, and the lack of Tank)  If we're going to judge a film by it's sequels, Raiders of the Lost Ark everytime  ;)

Which makes this a very tough choice for me...

Edit: Crap, Russell beat me to it...

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 09:49:04 PM

You're blaming Raiders for a lame sequel and then you're going with the Matrix? ???

I didn't word that well.  I'm blaming Speilberg for the lame sequel. When I hear that music I think of Short Round.  I liked both Matrix and Raiders, Matrix a little more. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 09:51:39 PM

Yet you can get past Morpheus leading a rave and hours of tension-less action due to Mr. Anderson not really being dead but unkillable (just like Neo), not to mention the other saviour of Zion...The Kid?  (Don't get me started on Zee, Link, and the lack of Tank)  If we're going to judge a film by it's sequels, Raiders of the Lost Ark everytime  ;)

Yeah, the last two were junk.  I just remember how blown away I was when I saw Matrix on the big screen for the first time.  It was unlike anything I had seen before.   I'm not judging Raiders by its sequel, I liked that as well, just not as much as Matrix. 

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 09:57:02 PM
Yeah, I hear that.  This is a VERY difficult round for me because I had exactly same feeling after seeing the Matrix.  However, Raiders of the Lost Ark was one of my favorite films as a kid.  Decisions decisions...

eytanz

Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 10:02:17 PM
It was an easy choice for me. Matrix is a great movie, no doubt about it, but Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the crowning achievements of 20th century civilization.

Russell Nash

Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 10:18:28 PM

HA HA ::pointing finger at DKT::

I saw Raiders as a kid (11?) I was just blown away.  It also might explain my hat collection, heavy on Fedoras and Fedora-like hats and devoid of baseball caps.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 10:23:53 PM
I was going to post the pictures, but flash sites suck, so here's a link and you need to go to the recently posted bit and click on the pictures one.

Edit, nevermind, found one from DHD.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 10:32:05 PM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.