Author Topic: Grandson of Film Poll: Week 12  (Read 4756 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: December 26, 2007, 06:21:51 PM
The Matrix couldn't make it past Indy Jones - do any of these films have a chance?  I don't know, but we'll see...

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 06:36:16 PM
Tough choice Raiders/Rings....

eytanz

Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 10:15:49 PM
Different tough choice for me - Raiders vs. Lebowski. Both utter favorites, but totally different genres. The other three, all good, but not contenders as far as I am concerned.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 07:05:20 AM
Not a movie here I don't like, and several I love, but it's Raiders all the way for me.

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 08:22:28 AM
I have a problem in that I've only seen three of these movies. I saw Raiders so long ago I don't remember it, apart from the cool Nazi zapping bit at the climax. I've also watched the LOTR cycle and the Harry Potter movies, but I've also read the books. I loved the books. I didn't enjoy the movies nearly as much, for the usual reasons --- Peter Jackson stuffed around with LOTR way too much and the Harry Potter movies missed a lot of the background and subtlety that made the book series so good. That's not intended as criticism --- I just don't think any of the Harry Potter books can be condensed into < 120 minutes.

If I hadn't read the books I would have to vote for The Two Towers. That was awesome.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 08:28:27 AM
Okay, so I didn't vote for it myself, but it's clear that a lot of you folks need to see City of Lost Children.  It's an awesome - and bizarre - film.  It's the sort of thing that would happen if David Lynch and Terry Gilliam got together and decided to make a movie... while on a lot of opium.

Simon

• Peltast
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 10:44:24 AM
Ocicat:

I love CoLC with a deep and abiding passion, and on any other list I would have found myself chucking it a vote...  But I have seen Lebowski something in excess of 30 times (possibly closer to 50), and there is no way I can vote for any other movie on this list with any honesty.  I won't claim that Lebowski is the greatest film ever made, but it has entertained me - personally - more than any other...  Even 'tho I hated it the first time round (and disliked it mildly the second).

Lost Children had competition too stiff to take on this time.