Author Topic: Pseudopod 200  (Read 9349 times)

Schreiber

• Peltast
Re: Pseudopod 200
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 07:25:25 PM »
An awesome way to celebrate Pseudopod's anniversary!

I wonder, given that the story was published in 1913, if "The Horror of the Heights" can be considered an early equivalent of Steam Punk?

Outstanding selection and readings by Al and Ben. Looking forward to 200 more!

roebeast

• Extern
    • Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 08:47:19 AM »
Excellent Anniversary show.

The Bierce story is still shocking today. Imagine when it was first published.

I think "The Horror of the Heights" would have seen much more frightening in an age when merely flying in a plane was a terrifying idea to most people. And I've been reading Wayne Barlowe's "Expedition" which has some very similar creatures described in it. I'd love to see Barlowe's take on this particular story.

Thanks for making multiple third shifts a bit more bearable.

mscrisis

• Extern
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 03:11:15 AM »
Hi guys,

Brilliant show, I have to say. I'm absolutely delighted to have found you. Delighted and horrified.

Al- in your outro for 200 you mentioned The Horror of the Heights as being the beginning for you - the story that started you on the path. You reminded me what it was that first lured me down the twisted way. Dad and I had broken down on our way home from Great Grandma's funeral (my first). I was 9 and bratty and a little worried. If you've ever been stuck out in the country at night, you know what I mean. It's dark...and there are likely wolves out there.  So to shut me up, my Daddy handed me the two things he knew would give him some peace until someone stopped along the side of the road to help us. A freshly juiced flashlight and his copy of Stephen King's Night Shift. I read The Boogeyman first.

It was The Boogeyman, then Cujo, then American Werewolf in London, and then and then and then...and now Pseudopod brings all my scary friends to me on my morning commute.

You know, to this day, I can't sleep if the closet door is open...especially if it's just a crack...

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 08:58:14 AM »
Brilliant show, I have to say. I'm absolutely delighted to have found you. Delighted and horrified.

Al- in your outro for 200 you mentioned The Horror of the Heights as being the beginning for you - the story that started you on the path. You reminded me what it was that first lured me down the twisted way...

Cool story, thanks for sharing!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »
I named The Horror of the Heights as my #9 favorite Pseudopod episode:
http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2014/08/podcast-spotlight-pseudopod/

Marlboro

• Palmer
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 06:58:58 PM »

I'm surprised that so many of you guys were unfamiliar with Ambrose Bierce. His "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" is a classic that everyone should read. Bierce was an odd dude seemingly fixated on  patricide, but he wrote two or three very good short stories and a lot of handy quotes for the cynics among us.

I enjoyed the reading of "Oil of Dog" but I'd also like to second Sgarre1's recommendation of the phenomenal version done on The Black Mass back in the 60s. It's a fairly obscure show but several episodes can be found at the Internet Archive. Recommended episodes: The Rats in the Walls, The Outsider, Oil of Dog, The Squaw, and The Imp of the Perverse. All read brilliantly by the guy who played Admiral Ackbar in Star Wars.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 06:09:03 PM by Marlboro »

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2019, 04:39:35 PM »
Always happy to bring more "Bitter Bierce" into someone's life!