Author Topic: Curse of the Film Poll XIV  (Read 8752 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: January 09, 2008, 02:32:54 AM
Posting this slightly early because I'm undergoing knee surgery tomorrow - I hurt it while skiing.  In any case, Return of the Jedi couldn't quite make it past Raiders last week.  But the luck of the draw gives us another Star Wars film to try again this time.  We also have a classic monster movie, a comedy ghost movie, and a modern zombie flick.

Can any of them beat Indy?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:32:56 PM
I'd vote for 28 Days Later and Raiders in most cases, but ESB trumps them all.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 10:15:08 PM
I'd vote for 28 Days Later and Raiders in most cases, but ESB trumps them all.

See, I was very tempted by Indy and ESB but...

It's all about Ghostbusters this time.  I love ESB to pieces ('I love you' 'I know' is flat out one of the finest pieces of dialogue ever written and acted) but...

Venkman.

Good Lord I wanted to be Venkman SO badly.

Still do.

Throw in the StayPuft Marshmallow Man ('I couldn't help it!') and I'm sold.

Russell Nash

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 10:18:50 PM
Indy and GB called to me, but this time it's ESB.  I think it's the best of the Star Wars films.  I didn't like it much when I was ten.  I shouldn't say that.  I loved it.  I hated the ending.  It has aged better than the others.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 10:27:06 PM
I've got to go with Indy.  Which of those will people still be watching 50 years from now?
Worth noting that there are two Harrison Ford movies in the same poll.  Why did he ever get away from doing good stuff?  Stupid Air Force One!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 10:51:19 PM
I love ESB to pieces ('I love you' 'I know' is flat out one of the finest pieces of dialogue ever written and acted) but...

Venkman.

If I remember my trivia correctly, I don't believe that dialogue was actually written.  Ford improvised it because he didn't think Han Solo would say "I love you, too" or something. 

And point to you on Ghostbusters (although it still comes in 4th in my book).

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 11:35:58 PM
Yeah, ESB was the best of the Star Wars franchise.   I never got in to Ghostbusters at all, it didn't do much for me.  My family loves it so when ever it is on cable someone is watching it.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 03:02:39 AM
Wow... Alasdair, I thought I'd have the only vote for "Ghostbusters" (tough call with 2 Harrison Ford movies in the mix), and now our candidate is making a strong showing.... might even beat Mitt Romney!

I believe the new official Webster's word is:  w00t!

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 01:49:26 PM
I've got to go with Indy.  Which of those will people still be watching 50 years from now?
Worth noting that there are two Harrison Ford movies in the same poll.  Why did he ever get away from doing good stuff?  Stupid Air Force One!
AF1 had Gary Oldman, so it wasn't all bad  :)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Russell Nash

Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 05:21:01 PM

It wasn't bad.  It just wasn't good.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 05:57:49 PM

Sure, I liked it fine.  It just doesn't measure up to the big franchises he worked in earlier.  To be fair, I thought Patriot Games was great.

Russell Nash

Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 06:18:01 PM

Sure, I liked it fine.  It just doesn't measure up to the big franchises he worked in earlier.  To be fair, I thought Patriot Games was great.

I hated Patriot Games.

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 08:07:34 PM
The Empire Strikes Back is my number one favorite movie of all time in any genre. "I am your father" gets my vote for the number one cinematic moment in the history of film.

I'm going to try to hold off on voting while ESB is in the running, because I would skew the numbers by voting for ESB week after week. It really doesn't matter what movie you put it up against, I'll vote for it.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 12:28:40 AM
Okay!  I'm back from surgery, and doing fine.  Well, in a lot of pain, but things went well.

Anyway, I'm quite amused that Ghostbusters is beating Raiders.  Never would have predicted that.  But glad that ESB is winning.  I also wasn't much of a fan of it as a kid, because A. I couldn't really accept that Darth was Luke's father, and B. it wasn't really a whole story.  I hated waiting three years on that cliffhanger with Han frozen and no real victory by the good guys.  In retrospect, with the whole trilogy in front of me, it was a great flick.

Personally, I think if someone has a favorite movie ever, they should be voting for it every week.  Until it looses, or wins four times and is retired, anyway.  That hasn't happened yet... though it will if Raiders comes up from  behind to win this one.