Escape Artists
July 16, 2019, 07:57:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The final group of the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest is live! Voting lasts through July 13th.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PseudoPod 650: The Detweiler Boy  (Read 390 times)
Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« on: June 04, 2019, 09:15:31 PM »

PseudoPod 650: The Detweiler Boy

Author: Tom Reamy
Narrator: Andrew Leman
Host: Alex Hofelich

“The Detweiler Boy” was first published in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, April 1977. Thank you to Vaughne Hansen of the Virginia Kidd Agency for helping us secure the rights to this story.

Show Notes
This episode is dedicated to horror hosts in general, and Sinister Seymour in particular.

The room had been cleaned with pine oil disinfectant and smelled like a public toilet. Harry Spinner was on the floor behind the bed, scrunched down between it and the wall. The almost colorless chenille bedspread had been pulled askew exposing part of the clean, but dingy, sheet. All I could see of Harry was one leg poking over the edge of the bed . He wasn’t wearing a shoe, only a faded brown and tan argyle sock with a hole in it. The sock, long bereft of any elasticity , was crumpled around his thin rusty ankle.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 05:16:44 PM by Bdoomed » Logged

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
Metalsludge
Palmer

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 09:02:14 AM »

This was a refreshing change of pace to a gumshoe story. Though I wasn't surprised by the ending (Read this one before, and I suspect it was a bit of a trope most of us saw coming anyway.) it was enjoyable to follow along with the detective work. Seems like the vampiric character had all the downsides of the condition without any of the fabled benefits. Funny he was a pulp writer. Wonder if the author related to the character a bit.
Sylvie
Extern

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 12:07:26 PM »

Best part of this story was how familiar each new setting felt. I could picture each place and think, “yeah, I’ve been there before and I’m glad to be out of it.”
Scuba Man
Matross

Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 08:24:48 AM »

Good. Ug. Me. Like.  Cool

"What can do that to a man?  Lightning... napalm? No, some people just explode [sic]. Natural causes".  Source: Repo Man.
Lisa3737
Palmer

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 12:47:28 PM »

I enjoyed listening to a longer story.  Narration was perfect.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: