Author Topic: Threads for Older EP Episodes  (Read 31783 times)

Praxis

on: January 10, 2008, 05:44:20 PM
I've just been listening to the first 30 or so episodes again, and I noticed there is no thread the first 80 or so.

(Since there is no 'new topic' button for that forum and us mortals can't do it ourselves,) could someone nice in Admin please add in some more topics?

Cheers

eytanz

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 05:58:08 PM
Yeah, I would appreciate that too now that I'm catching up on the back issues.

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 06:08:32 PM
Put in requests in this thread for episodes that you have something you want to post about.  Not ones where you just want to say"I liked/didn't like this one".  These are a bit of a pain to put together, so I won't just do all of them.

eytanz

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 06:40:15 PM
I just listened to episodes 1-7, and I have something of substance (though how much substance, I can't be the judge of) to say about all of them.

If you prefer, I could start a big thread for my comments on all past episodes as I got through, and you can split off any discussions that arise into proper episode threads. Don't know if that will satisfy Praxis, though.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 07:26:45 PM
Well, I've voted in the other thread, but I'm up for starting discussion on any previous Escape Pods (I'd say the same thing about Pseudopod, too).  It'd definitely get me to listen to the older episodes again.

Russell Nash

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 08:04:30 PM
I just don't want to start a thread for one guy to make a valueless comment.  If there is demand, I'll start a few and if they get a good number of posts, I'll do more.  I start basically anything if people will post in it.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 10:16:44 PM
I just don't want to start a thread for one guy to make a valueless comment.  If there is demand, I'll start a few and if they get a good number of posts, I'll do more.  I start basically anything if people will post in it.
Personally, I have things I'd like to say about past episodes. Some were fantastic, some were just ok, but either way my interest doesn't go much beyond praising some of the previous authors. Perhaps there could be a master subject in Episode Comments with "everything less than 88" or whatever, under which we can post our comments about previous stories? I don't know how many people have noticed, but when you post a reply you can change the subject line.
I don't know what kind of a headache that will be for the mods, or if it will have any value for us listeners, but it's an idea.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Praxis

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 10:20:51 PM
Why not start with EP001 and see what happens from there.
I'm sure people will do their best not to be valueless

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 08:22:08 AM
Why not start with EP001 and see what happens from there.
I'm sure people will do their best not to be valueless

I think I'll pick a couple from the poll and then see what we get.  If a couple good discussions come up, I'll post some more and put up polls for the other stories. 

Then there's the idea of posting stuff as it comes up on EP Classic.

eytanz

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 08:24:20 AM

That's sort of silly, because A - EP Classic only plays a small subset of the back episodes, and B - It's not clear if there is a need for that, while there has been a request for early episodes by people listening to back issues in order.

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 08:44:59 AM

That's sort of silly, because A - EP Classic only plays a small subset of the back episodes, and B - It's not clear if there is a need for that, while there has been a request for early episodes by people listening to back issues in order.

There are a number of people listening to EP Classic who come to the forums.  By choosing EP Classic I would be starting a thread for an episode more people have recently heard.  If it got a good amount of responses, I'd do more.  So far we have four people asking for older episode threads.  It's not like we have a massive demand.

Praxis

Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 09:13:43 PM
.....................Don't know if that will satisfy Praxis, though.

I don't mind really, as long as there was somewhere on the board to leave comments for an episode.
Or there could be one (really very big, I suspect it would be) thread to cover anything before EP80.
I think that wouldn't be helpful for later readers/users to search through.

eytanz

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 11:18:21 PM

There are a number of people listening to EP Classic who come to the forums.  By choosing EP Classic I would be starting a thread for an episode more people have recently heard.  If it got a good amount of responses, I'd do more.  So far we have four people asking for older episode threads.  It's not like we have a massive demand.

True, but you're being inconsistent - you said you want episodes people have something interesting to say about. The EP classic people have not (yet) told you that they are have much to say about the episodes they are listening to. The "start from the beginning" people have. But you seem really, really reluctant to actually supply us with a place to hold that discussion.

And honestly, it's been taking so long that I already forgot some of what I wanted to say to begin with. Discussing episodes is interesting when they're fresh in mind, not when I have to make an effort to remember what I had to say. So if I have to wait three more days just to maybe get the opportunity to say something I wanted to say yesterday, I'm not sure I care anymore.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 05:05:35 AM

True, but you're being inconsistent - you said you want episodes people have something interesting to say about. The EP classic people have not (yet) told you that they are have much to say about the episodes they are listening to. The "start from the beginning" people have. But you seem really, really reluctant to actually supply us with a place to hold that discussion.

And honestly, it's been taking so long that I already forgot some of what I wanted to say to begin with. Discussing episodes is interesting when they're fresh in mind, not when I have to make an effort to remember what I had to say. So if I have to wait three more days just to maybe get the opportunity to say something I wanted to say yesterday, I'm not sure I care anymore.
That's a very good point.
Imagine how much worse it is for those of use who haven't heard them in over a year. There are a couple stories I wouldn't mind making a comment on, but I'll have to re-listen to them just to make a worthwhile comment.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 08:49:33 AM
The experiment has begun.

I have posted threads for the current forerunners in our poll and for the current story from EP Classics.  If the threads get some action, I'll start posting some more.  We had some favorite EP and best of the year threads.  Maybe I'll use those to help decide what gets posted first.

New Threads:
EP001: Imperial
EP020: The Burning Bush
EP060: Creature For Hire

Referenced Threads:
What is the most influential Escape Pod episode that you have ever heard?
Best Escape Pod of 2006?
Best EP Flash Fiction So Far.  It's a poll, but it's still open.  Feel free to add your votes.
Least Favorite Escape Pod and WHY
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 08:52:47 AM by Russell Nash »

Russell Nash

Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 09:44:30 AM
I'm going to try taking this experiment just a little further.  I'll post threads for the next three stories nominated in this thread by three different people. 

Please only nominate a story you are ready to comment on. 

eytanz

Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 05:37:21 PM
Well, I just listened to EP13, "The once and future dentist", and feel like ranting a bit. So I'd appreciate a thread for it...

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 11:05:44 AM
Well, I just listened to EP13, "The once and future dentist", and feel like ranting a bit. So I'd appreciate a thread for it...

His N_shness has spoken to me and your Prayer has been granted.

He also granted a Prayer for Squonk.

New Threads:
EP013: The Once and Future Dentist
EP070: Squonk the Dragon

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 11:17:59 AM by Russell Nash »

The Word of Nash is the word of Nash and it is Nash's word.

eytanz

Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 01:48:45 PM
I've lost track - has a third story been requested yet? If not (well, also if it has) I'd like a thread for EP22: Don Ysidro, please.

Russell Nash

Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 04:41:02 PM
I've lost track - has a third story been requested yet? If not (well, also if it has) I'd like a thread for EP22: Don Ysidro, please.

New Thread:
EP022: Don Ysidro

The old episode threads are getting enough action to make it worth while.  I'll make a thread for any requests that come in with a couple of caveats:

1)  We don't want to flood the board with new threads, so I'll do a maximum of 2 a week.
2)  Keep it down to one or two requests per person per month.
3)  If we do get a backlog, episodes with a couple of "me too"s behind it will get moved up the line ahead of less requested episodes.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 04:16:37 PM
I am sad... I asked for Squonk, and only BDoomed and I seem to care.  :'(

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

eytanz

Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 11:21:08 PM
Well, I think enough time passed since my last request to make another one, so I'd like to ask for a thread for EP023, The Dream Factory.

Russell Nash

Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 09:45:14 AM
Well, I think enough time passed since my last request to make another one, so I'd like to ask for a thread for EP023, The Dream Factory.

New Thread:
EP023: The Dream Factory

Russell Nash

Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 09:03:00 PM

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 02:15:29 PM
Put in requests in this thread for episodes that you have something you want to post about. 

How about one for EP Review #004: Katamari Damacy?  I just bought the game yesterday and played it for three or four hours, with more to come today.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Russell Nash

Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 11:54:04 AM
Put in requests in this thread for episodes that you have something you want to post about. 

How about one for EP Review #004: Katamari Damacy?  I just bought the game yesterday and played it for three or four hours, with more to come today.

Ok, why not.

Russell Nash

Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 07:50:43 AM
I just finished adding the rest of the Mike Resnick threads.  If an author of a new episode has been on EP before, I'll make sure their old stories have threads.

Added:
EP055: Down Memory Lane 
EP073: Barnaby in Exile
EP082: Travels With My Cats

Russell Nash

Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 08:43:37 AM
I'm on a posting kick right now.  DKT listed his kept EP episodes.  Two didn't have their own threads yet, so I fixed that oversight.

Added:
EP021: Platypus Girl
EP061: I Look Forward To Remembering You

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 05:21:51 PM
I'm on a posting kick right now.  DKT listed his kept EP episodes.  Two didn't have their own threads yet, so I fixed that oversight.

Added:

wOOt. I just might have to join your church afterall!

Russell Nash

Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 05:58:38 PM

Added:

wOOt. I just might have to join your church afterall!

If you want to worship me, that's fine.  If you want a position, I don't know if we have anything that low open.  ;D

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 06:38:43 PM
Not even "sacrificial rabbit"?

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Russell Nash

Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 07:03:07 PM
OK, one more.

Because of this post I have added another episode thread.  I'll give it a rest for a while.

Added:
EP038: L'Alchimista

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 01:16:40 AM
Thanks ummm sir  :D 
I'm faced with a quandary on how to address you - I've never met a Moderator who was also a diety, though I've met some who acted as though they were.  Whenever faced with a being with such awesome powers I tend to default to "sir", though I get the feeling you are more of a "Russ".  I think I'll stick with worshipping No One In Particular, but it's good to know you're out there.  :)

Either way, thanks, it's nice to share a story's affect - even if it's form a while ago.

Russell Nash

Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 06:49:04 PM

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 05:39:05 PM
Woo, thanks!

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Russell Nash

Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 07:08:21 AM
I'm very opposed to bumping just for the sake of bumping, but I was wondering if anyone had an old episode they wanted to comment on.

Edit:  Clarification
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:08:44 PM by Russell Nash »

Zathras

Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 12:42:52 PM
I'm catching up on the old episodes, as I shared Tracies Zobmas present.  Before I started this, Aliens Want Our Women is the oldest story I heard in order.  I went back and grabbed the Union Dues stories and a few others.

I'd like to see a comment thread for episode 34, Free Will.

I've been resisiting the urge to just resurrect all the old threads, but there are a few that I'm going to comment on.

Thanks, N-sh, for pointing this thread out.

::edit::

I have no problems bumping an old thread if I have something of substance to add or think someone else will.  I just read all of this thread.  I'll not bump an old discussion just to say +1.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 12:49:39 PM by Zathras »

Russell Nash

Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 04:03:02 PM

Russell Nash

Reply #38 on: September 01, 2009, 01:43:27 PM
There's been some interest in putting up old PP threads, so I thought it was time to dust this thread off again.  If you have an episode you would like to comment on that doesn't have its own thread yet, put it here.  I'll try to do a couple a week.  Not a huge flood, but a trickle.

Russell Nash

Reply #39 on: September 01, 2009, 01:51:45 PM
Here's a list of the eps without threads:
[liEP066: The King's Tail  [/li]
[li]EP067: Life in Stone  [/li]
[li] EP068: Depth of Field [/li]
[li]EP071: The Capo of Darkness [/li]
[li]EP072: Joe Steele  [/li]
[li]EP074: Paradox & Greenblatt, Attorneys at Law [/li]
[li]EP075: Nano Comes to Clifford Falls[/li]
[li]EP076: The Dinner Game[/li]
[li]EP077: A Single Shadow  [/li]
[li]EP078: The Shoulders of Giants [/li]
[li]EP079: Mountain, Man[/li]
[li]EP081: Margin of Error  [/li]
[li]EP083: Ulla[/li]
[li]EP085: Merry Christmas from the Heartbreakers[/li]
[li]EP086: When We Went to See the End of the World[/li]
[li]EP Flash: Oasis[/li]
[li]EP Flash: Strange Girlfriend[/li]
[li]EP Flash: Airedale[/li]
[li]EP Flash: Ubiquitous[/li]
[li]EP Flash: Slicing[/li]
[li]EP Flash: Paradox[/li]
[li]EP Flash: Virus[/li]
[li]EP Flash: Friday Night Gods[/li]
[li]EP Flash: Pennywhistle[/li]
[li]EP Flash: The God of the Goblins[/li]
[li]EP Flash: Troy Trooper[/li]
[li]EP Flash: Wetting the Bed[/li]
[li]EP Flash: Mount Dragon[/li]
[li]EP Flash: Making Monsters[/li]
[li]EP Flash: Night Off[/li]
[li] EP EP Flash: Hibernation [/li]
[li] EP EP Flash: The Teammate Reference Problem in Final-Stage Demon Confrontation [/li]
[li] EP EP Flash: One Million Years B.F.E. [/li]
[li] EP EP Flash: Fools Seldom Differ [/li]
[li] EP Flash: Paul Bunyan and the Photocopier [/li]
[li] EP Flash: Stuck in an Elevator With Mandy Patinkin [/li]
[li]EP Flash: The Uncanny Valley[/li]
[li] EP Flash: Act of Devil [/li]
[/list]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 05:41:28 AM by Swamp »

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #40 on: September 01, 2009, 05:41:14 PM
i'd like to request all of them.  if they were released two a week since this thread started it would already be done.

if the legwork is discouraging i'm willing to put together a dozen intros and post them here so you can copy them.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #41 on: September 02, 2009, 12:07:17 AM
What What WHAT?  "Merry Christmas from the Heartbreakers" has no thread?  I love that one; I listen to it every year (can't say the same for Lafferty's other Christmas stories, unfortunately).

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

El Barto

• Peltast
Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 07:19:42 PM
Being one of those "starting from the beginning" people, two of my favorites with no threads are EP048: Soul Food and EP050: The Malcontent, but I don't pretend to have enough insight to make starting a forum worthwhile.

Besides, I was mostly hoping to find dozens of previous comments from other posters that I could read and enjoy! 

Russell Nash

Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 08:50:39 PM
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 06:16:21 PM by Russell Nash »

izzardfan

Reply #45 on: September 16, 2009, 06:50:32 AM
You've sure been busy!   ;D

Russell Nash

Reply #46 on: September 16, 2009, 07:55:38 AM
Now that the blogs are dead, these eps had no where, where folks could comment.  It went from making it easier for a couple of forumites to a necessity.

Jason M

Reply #48 on: September 22, 2009, 08:39:25 PM
To be serious for a moment:

Thank you, Russell for putting the threads up.  I know you basically have a thankless job, but some of us do appreciate the work you do.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #50 on: October 12, 2009, 04:42:06 AM

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #52 on: October 14, 2009, 03:29:57 PM

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #53 on: October 14, 2009, 05:35:06 PM
You make me feel lazy

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #54 on: October 14, 2009, 06:55:50 PM
heh.  I'm just trying to get them all posted so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #55 on: October 14, 2009, 06:58:33 PM
heh.  I'm just trying to get them all posted so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Any chance you could bump the last five or six recent stories back up to the top?

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #56 on: October 14, 2009, 07:11:09 PM
I will try.

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #57 on: October 14, 2009, 07:37:26 PM
I will try.

Thanks! I'd hate to come here looking for reaction to my story and find it was on page two behind 50 0-reply posts (if I found it at all), know what I mean?

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #58 on: October 14, 2009, 07:51:20 PM
you can sort by title too by clicking subject at the top of the list.  do it twice for reverse order and the latest stories will be on the front page (near the bottom).

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #59 on: October 14, 2009, 07:52:20 PM
you can sort by title too by clicking subject at the top of the list.  do it twice for reverse order and the latest stories will be on the front page (near the bottom).

Oh? Totally cool, I had no idea :)

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #60 on: October 14, 2009, 08:30:32 PM
I will try.

Thanks! I'd hate to come here looking for reaction to my story and find it was on page two behind 50 0-reply posts (if I found it at all), know what I mean?

deflective's solution will work, but I will also sticky the most recent 3 eps to the top until I am done adding the past episodes.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 08:38:29 PM by Swamp »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #61 on: October 14, 2009, 10:32:22 PM
Haha, I knew that but never thought of doin it :P

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Swamp

• Hipparch

Swamp

• Hipparch

Swamp

• Hipparch