Author Topic: Threads for Older EP Episodes  (Read 31657 times)

Praxis

on: January 10, 2008, 05:44:20 PM
I've just been listening to the first 30 or so episodes again, and I noticed there is no thread the first 80 or so.

(Since there is no 'new topic' button for that forum and us mortals can't do it ourselves,) could someone nice in Admin please add in some more topics?

Cheers

eytanz

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 05:58:08 PM
Yeah, I would appreciate that too now that I'm catching up on the back issues.

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 06:08:32 PM
Put in requests in this thread for episodes that you have something you want to post about.  Not ones where you just want to say"I liked/didn't like this one".  These are a bit of a pain to put together, so I won't just do all of them.

eytanz

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 06:40:15 PM
I just listened to episodes 1-7, and I have something of substance (though how much substance, I can't be the judge of) to say about all of them.

If you prefer, I could start a big thread for my comments on all past episodes as I got through, and you can split off any discussions that arise into proper episode threads. Don't know if that will satisfy Praxis, though.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 07:26:45 PM
Well, I've voted in the other thread, but I'm up for starting discussion on any previous Escape Pods (I'd say the same thing about Pseudopod, too).  It'd definitely get me to listen to the older episodes again.

Russell Nash

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 08:04:30 PM
I just don't want to start a thread for one guy to make a valueless comment.  If there is demand, I'll start a few and if they get a good number of posts, I'll do more.  I start basically anything if people will post in it.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 10:16:44 PM
I just don't want to start a thread for one guy to make a valueless comment.  If there is demand, I'll start a few and if they get a good number of posts, I'll do more.  I start basically anything if people will post in it.
Personally, I have things I'd like to say about past episodes. Some were fantastic, some were just ok, but either way my interest doesn't go much beyond praising some of the previous authors. Perhaps there could be a master subject in Episode Comments with "everything less than 88" or whatever, under which we can post our comments about previous stories? I don't know how many people have noticed, but when you post a reply you can change the subject line.
I don't know what kind of a headache that will be for the mods, or if it will have any value for us listeners, but it's an idea.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Praxis

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 10:20:51 PM
Why not start with EP001 and see what happens from there.
I'm sure people will do their best not to be valueless

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 08:22:08 AM
Why not start with EP001 and see what happens from there.
I'm sure people will do their best not to be valueless

I think I'll pick a couple from the poll and then see what we get.  If a couple good discussions come up, I'll post some more and put up polls for the other stories. 

Then there's the idea of posting stuff as it comes up on EP Classic.

eytanz

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 08:24:20 AM

That's sort of silly, because A - EP Classic only plays a small subset of the back episodes, and B - It's not clear if there is a need for that, while there has been a request for early episodes by people listening to back issues in order.

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 08:44:59 AM

That's sort of silly, because A - EP Classic only plays a small subset of the back episodes, and B - It's not clear if there is a need for that, while there has been a request for early episodes by people listening to back issues in order.

There are a number of people listening to EP Classic who come to the forums.  By choosing EP Classic I would be starting a thread for an episode more people have recently heard.  If it got a good amount of responses, I'd do more.  So far we have four people asking for older episode threads.  It's not like we have a massive demand.

Praxis

Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 09:13:43 PM
.....................Don't know if that will satisfy Praxis, though.

I don't mind really, as long as there was somewhere on the board to leave comments for an episode.
Or there could be one (really very big, I suspect it would be) thread to cover anything before EP80.
I think that wouldn't be helpful for later readers/users to search through.

eytanz

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 11:18:21 PM

There are a number of people listening to EP Classic who come to the forums.  By choosing EP Classic I would be starting a thread for an episode more people have recently heard.  If it got a good amount of responses, I'd do more.  So far we have four people asking for older episode threads.  It's not like we have a massive demand.

True, but you're being inconsistent - you said you want episodes people have something interesting to say about. The EP classic people have not (yet) told you that they are have much to say about the episodes they are listening to. The "start from the beginning" people have. But you seem really, really reluctant to actually supply us with a place to hold that discussion.

And honestly, it's been taking so long that I already forgot some of what I wanted to say to begin with. Discussing episodes is interesting when they're fresh in mind, not when I have to make an effort to remember what I had to say. So if I have to wait three more days just to maybe get the opportunity to say something I wanted to say yesterday, I'm not sure I care anymore.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 05:05:35 AM

True, but you're being inconsistent - you said you want episodes people have something interesting to say about. The EP classic people have not (yet) told you that they are have much to say about the episodes they are listening to. The "start from the beginning" people have. But you seem really, really reluctant to actually supply us with a place to hold that discussion.

And honestly, it's been taking so long that I already forgot some of what I wanted to say to begin with. Discussing episodes is interesting when they're fresh in mind, not when I have to make an effort to remember what I had to say. So if I have to wait three more days just to maybe get the opportunity to say something I wanted to say yesterday, I'm not sure I care anymore.
That's a very good point.
Imagine how much worse it is for those of use who haven't heard them in over a year. There are a couple stories I wouldn't mind making a comment on, but I'll have to re-listen to them just to make a worthwhile comment.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 08:49:33 AM
The experiment has begun.

I have posted threads for the current forerunners in our poll and for the current story from EP Classics.  If the threads get some action, I'll start posting some more.  We had some favorite EP and best of the year threads.  Maybe I'll use those to help decide what gets posted first.

New Threads:
EP001: Imperial
EP020: The Burning Bush
EP060: Creature For Hire

Referenced Threads:
What is the most influential Escape Pod episode that you have ever heard?
Best Escape Pod of 2006?
Best EP Flash Fiction So Far.  It's a poll, but it's still open.  Feel free to add your votes.
Least Favorite Escape Pod and WHY
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 08:52:47 AM by Russell Nash »

Russell Nash

Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 09:44:30 AM
I'm going to try taking this experiment just a little further.  I'll post threads for the next three stories nominated in this thread by three different people. 

Please only nominate a story you are ready to comment on. 

eytanz

Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 05:37:21 PM
Well, I just listened to EP13, "The once and future dentist", and feel like ranting a bit. So I'd appreciate a thread for it...

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 11:05:44 AM
Well, I just listened to EP13, "The once and future dentist", and feel like ranting a bit. So I'd appreciate a thread for it...

His N_shness has spoken to me and your Prayer has been granted.

He also granted a Prayer for Squonk.

New Threads:
EP013: The Once and Future Dentist
EP070: Squonk the Dragon

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 11:17:59 AM by Russell Nash »

The Word of Nash is the word of Nash and it is Nash's word.

eytanz

Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 01:48:45 PM
I've lost track - has a third story been requested yet? If not (well, also if it has) I'd like a thread for EP22: Don Ysidro, please.

Russell Nash

Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 04:41:02 PM
I've lost track - has a third story been requested yet? If not (well, also if it has) I'd like a thread for EP22: Don Ysidro, please.

New Thread:
EP022: Don Ysidro

The old episode threads are getting enough action to make it worth while.  I'll make a thread for any requests that come in with a couple of caveats:

1)  We don't want to flood the board with new threads, so I'll do a maximum of 2 a week.
2)  Keep it down to one or two requests per person per month.
3)  If we do get a backlog, episodes with a couple of "me too"s behind it will get moved up the line ahead of less requested episodes.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 04:16:37 PM
I am sad... I asked for Squonk, and only BDoomed and I seem to care.  :'(

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

eytanz

Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 11:21:08 PM
Well, I think enough time passed since my last request to make another one, so I'd like to ask for a thread for EP023, The Dream Factory.

Russell Nash

Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 09:45:14 AM
Well, I think enough time passed since my last request to make another one, so I'd like to ask for a thread for EP023, The Dream Factory.

New Thread:
EP023: The Dream Factory

Russell Nash

Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 09:03:00 PM

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 02:15:29 PM
Put in requests in this thread for episodes that you have something you want to post about. 

How about one for EP Review #004: Katamari Damacy?  I just bought the game yesterday and played it for three or four hours, with more to come today.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising