Author Topic: I'm Really Going To Do It This Year  (Read 13633 times)

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
on: January 10, 2008, 06:13:25 PM
AI Story - Finally out of the plotting phase, but I don't know where it's going.  Still no title.  I'm hoping I'll figure out how to tie it all up somewhere between here and there.  Maybe 300 words, but lots and lots of notes, plus a couple of characterizations.

An Oppurtunity - Short story that's been bouncing around in my head for a couple of years.  I've finally got it pinned down, and I like what's coming out.  I'm really excited about this one.  About 1200 words so far.

Dream Story - No title.  This one has sort of died.  I still like the premise, but I don't like the way it's coming out.  About 2000 words and holding.

Swept Off Her Feet - Done.  Submitted, in fact.  Just a fun little short-short.  We'll see if I get any nibbles.  There may be no market for humorous necrophilia stories. 

edit-corrected spelling of humorous
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:58:13 PM by gelee »

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 03:59:58 PM
Bon courage, Gelee. I'm working at it this year as well. A quick glance at my own writing folder shows a total of eight (!) works-in-progress, but that doesn't include the idea that popped into my head while I was riding the train the other day. In addition, I'm helping a friend edit the manuscript of her third novel. It's fun working with a real-like published author.

I am going to try to get something finished and actually published this year. I'm even sending something off to Steve here at Escape Pod. Wish me luck!

The Word of Nash is the word of Nash and it is Nash's word.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 07:55:09 PM
Heh, good luck to us BOTH.  I had "Finish An Oppurtunity" on my chores list for last weekend, along with "prune trees."  My trees look great.

Swept Off Her Feet may get sent to Psuedopod in a few months, if it get's accepted where it is now.  It's flash piece that really doesn't stand on it's own well.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 01:22:02 PM
AI Story - meh.  No real progress.

An Oppurtunity - Stalled.  I need to finish it, and ignore my inner editor, which is telling me to re-structure the whole damn thing right now.

Dream Story - I don't know if I can salvage this or not.  The idea started out great, but now it looks kind of lame.

Swept Off Her Feet - Squee!  Accepted.

The True Companion - Just an idea, but it's a winner if I can write it well.  We'll see.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 04:30:43 PM
Hey, CONGRATS, gelee!!!!  That's great.  Where did it get accepted to?

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 04:42:37 PM
The Drabblecast, actually:)
It's a proper Drabble, 100 words.  I had this teeny tiny story that was utterly unmarketable, but then I heard The Drabblecast.  I didn't have to cut it down much to hit the 100 word mark.
I don't have a pub date yet, and I suppose Norm could still change his mind and chuck the thing, but it's nice to get something accepted, especially by a program that I enjoy so much.  If/when details become firm and available, I'll post them.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 04:46:25 PM
Sweet.  I'm loving the Drabblecast, too.  Let us know when it's up.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 05:50:52 PM
I have written zilch in the last week, too busy with the day job.
On a positive note, by 100 word "drabble" will run on this week's Drabblecast.
Yay me, and thanks to Norm Sherman for humoring me.
Apologies in advance for "Swept Off Her Feet."  Any shortcomings are entirely mine.  The piece can only be improved by Norm's delivery.
In spite of carrying my drabble, I would encourage everyone to give The Drabblecast a listen.  Good, fun stories from the "weird" category.  Norm also does a great show on the intro and outro, half the reason I listen.
I've added the URL below.  I'll advise again when it's posted, but in the mean time, why not listen to some of the earlier shows?
Mr. Tweedy already has a drabble up.

www.drabblecast.org

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 04:53:40 PM by gelee »

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 04:57:23 PM
My drabble is up, for your listening pleasure.  This time, I'm actually going to get the URL right:
www.drabblecast.org
Day job and family comittments are really eating me up right now.  Celebrated my daughter's birthday this weekend.  Add on the usual end-of-month crush at the office (and the superbowl), and you get Gary not writing. 

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 09:37:42 PM
Congrats, Gelee, and nice job. I enjoyed the story and loved Norm Sherman's comment after he finished reading it.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 06:21:58 PM
Well played, gelee (and now I get why you go by that name, I think).  It was a creepy and fun little story!

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 07:20:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback!
As always, Norm did a great job.  I'm pretty pleased with the final product, though I could pick nits endlessly.  Does anyone else have that problem?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 07:53:54 PM
As always, Norm did a great job.  I'm pretty pleased with the final product, though I could pick nits endlessly.  Does anyone else have that problem?

All the time :)

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 10:22:57 PM

Everyone does. I sent one off to Norm (still haven't heard back) and thought of about four ideas for a rewrite almost immediately.

Flash fiction is especially tricky. With so few words it almost feels to me like writing poetry. I could agonize over every single word if I let myself.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 03:24:41 PM
OK, so Listener's and DKT's most excellent work ethic have shamed me into posting a note about my non-progress.
To be fair, my day job is absolutely swamping me.  I'm in the office 60-70 hours a week, and still trying to be a good husband/father, so that's no mean trick.
That said, I've written doodly poo for about a month.  I'll have to be more disciplined.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 05:37:46 PM
Dude, don't sweat it!  When can you write doing 60-70 hours and the family thing?  That is a hell of a workload.  You're working (at least) twice as many hours as I am.

What are you hoping to work on next?

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 09:33:51 PM
Well, "An Oppurtunity" is almost finished.  I'll put it away for a while before I being the re-writes.  Next up is "The True Companion".  Of course, plenty of other ideas bopping around in there <points at head>.  We'll see what falls out next.
Funny thing is, I do most of my writing at the office, after I'm done with the "real" work.  I don't write well at home, too many distractions.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 05:17:42 PM
Sticking it to the man, as John Scalzi would say.  Yeah, that's a good time for me, too :)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 09:04:05 PM
OK, so Listener's and DKT's most excellent work ethic have shamed me into posting a note about my non-progress.

Everyone is different.  And I only work 41.25 hours a week, plus freelancing 2 days a month.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 12:40:10 PM
Oh, I know I've got good excuses, but you guys are both puting up great production.