Author Topic: What have you changed you mind about?  (Read 21882 times)

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 01:49:32 PM
I have a question for the Libertarians.  How deeply to you follow the party platform?  When I looked into it a little it scared the crap out of me. 
Some of the stuff is ridiculous, no doubt.  There is a fine line between Libertarianism and chaos.  In a perfect world we wouldn't need a government.  Everyone would respect everyone else's rights and would take care of each other.  We don't live in this world, so we need a system to protect our rights.  One of the big problems with the LP is it is formed of fiercely independent thinkers who don't like the status quo.  Now try to get them to agree on something.  Yeah, right...

I personally believe there are some things we need a government for.  Roads could be funded by a fuel tax (those who drive more pay more).  Schools could be funded by food tax (those with more kids who eat more pay more).  Police, military, roads and parks are funded by everyone (everyone benefits from protection).  The things I don't like are welfare programs (corporate and personal) and federally managed health care/retirement, and all the other pointless spending our government does.  If I want to contribute to something, I'll contribute.  This would be easier if 35% of my income didn't go to taxes.  A perfect example is savings bonds.  I just cashed some in, getting back money I lent to the government with interest.  Now the government wants some of that interest back!  How is that fair?

A friend of mine came up with a great analogy for the taxation process in the US.  Imagine there was a huge snowstorm and a guy comes by and shovels your driveway.  He doesn't do it the way you would, and he doesn't do it well or efficiently, but he gets it done.  Wow, what nice guy!  Then he comes to your door and asks for $50.  Woah, you didn't ask this guy to do this.  Maybe you didn't need your driveway shoveled.  Maybe you could have done it yourself.  Maybe you own a snowblower.  You tell him to shove off.  Then he pulls a gun on you and tells you it's now $100.  You have to pay, right?  That's how I see some of the things the government does.  Let me pay for what I need, and not pay for what I don't.

I guess it comes down to this: I know how to best spend my money.  If I weren't taxed so heavily I would certainly donate to charities a lot more.  Charities I am concerned with.  Look at how well the government managed Katrina relief.  Look at how well they manage social security.  Look at medicare.  These things are all broken.  The government doesn't do well at things like this.  The government needs to get out of the charity business.  The government should focus on what they are good at: defense and huge, nationwide projects that benefit everyone (roads, parks, etc.).

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 01:55:27 PM
Also, I forgot to add my main concern with our current system: corporate influence (aka "campaign contributions").  I think our governmental system should have the same separation of corporation and state as we have of church and state.  The influence of the rich business owners by giving billions to their representatives in exchange for favorable laws is sickening.  Politicians don't care about the little guy, they care about getting re-elected.  That means campaign funds, which in turn means keeping their big sponsors happy so they can dupe the public with lots and lots of flashy commercials.  It's fundamentally wrong.  If this problem is somehow fixed I think a lot of problems with our current government would go away.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 02:03:43 PM
Also, I forgot to add my main concern with our current system: corporate influence (aka "campaign contributions").  I think our governmental system should have the same separation of corporation and state as we have of church and state.  The influence of the rich business owners by giving billions to their representatives in exchange for favorable laws is sickening.  Politicians don't care about the little guy, they care about getting re-elected.  That means campaign funds, which in turn means keeping their big sponsors happy so they can dupe the public with lots and lots of flashy commercials.  It's fundamentally wrong.  If this problem is somehow fixed I think a lot of problems with our current government would go away.

This sums up beautifully why I no longer believe that my vote matters. 

Last year I read Al Gore's The Assault on Reason which in large part talks about this very problem.  Gore seems to think that the Internet is the solution, in that it will provide a two-way medium for citizens to communicate with and about the government (like the press used to before it was marginalized) as opposed to the one-way medium of television.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 03:39:14 PM

Last year I read Al Gore's The Assault on Reason which in large part talks about this very problem.  Gore seems to think that the Internet is the solution, in that it will provide a two-way medium for citizens to communicate with and about the government (like the press used to before it was marginalized) as opposed to the one-way medium of television.

I guess this is why the expression "Your Mileage May Vary" was coined... because it sums up beautifully why I no longer believe that withholding my vote is a constructive use of said vote.  The closest I came to dropping out was 2000... when W won, I thought, "Meh... I don't care for Gore, and how bad could it be giving the conservatives their crack at things?"

We've spent the last 8 years paying for that attitude.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 03:44:54 PM
A flawed analogy just occurred to me:

America is a car, being driven down an icy road.  The electorate is the driver; could be drunk, could just be tired... this is where the flaw in the analogy creeps in.  But whatever the reason, the driver has become aware that the car is in a skid.  Now the "electorate" is in a panic; there is danger, but what to do about it?  There is an urge to turn hard to the right; an urge to turn hard to the left; maybe just holding the wheel in the center is the way to go?  Panic says, "Take the hands off the wheel!"

What is the right answer?   Everybody should know this... turn in the direction of the skid.

But you NEVER take your hands off the wheel.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 05:14:47 PM
Here's the way I see it.  It's all about the math.  There are a certain number of registered voters.  Those who don't vote pass the power of their vote to the people that DO vote.  So if 50% of the populace votes  then each voter has 2X the voting power they would have in the case of 100% turnout.  By not voting one is essentially saying "whatever the rest of you vote for is fine with me."  Because most people are suckered in by all the flashy TV ads and bullshit speeches they have no clue what they're voting for.  The average voter is voting based on smoke and mirrors.  Many, even if they were educated, would still vote contrary to what I believe.  Whether I vote or not I am subject to the laws our government puts into place (tyranny by majority vote potentially).  Because of this I am not okay with passing my vote to the masses and that is why I go to the polls.

If you don't vote you can still bitch about the system, because everyone has a right to free speech.  However, you need to realize you were at least partially responsible for the current system by passing a portion of your vote on to the majority.

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 12:23:50 AM
Me:  What have you changed your mind about?
Everyone else: Here's what I feel strongly about (and why you should change your mind).

Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting thread.  I just think it's funny. 

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 01:56:48 AM
Everyone else: Here's what I feel strongly about (and why you should change your mind).

Wakela, let me tell you why you shouldn't point out how easily distracted and off-topic I get...
wait, there I go again.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 02:11:38 AM
I haven't changed my mind about anything, but this came out of my mouth this weekend at Cub Scout camp:

(Upon seeing children doing something stupid who, when shouted at to stop .... refused to stop):  Well, I guess that's why God invented Darwin.

If you don't see at least three distinct levels of irony there, PM me and I will gladly explain them.  :)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 02:14:07 AM

It all seems to have started when I stated what I've changed my mind about (i.e., believing that my vote matters.)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 02:52:03 AM

It all seems to have started when I stated what I've changed my mind about (i.e., believing that my vote matters.)

Sorry... I got all obsessed with changing it back... did you catch the bit where we all found out that I like to argue?  :)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 04:38:11 AM
Sorry... I got all obsessed with changing it back... did you catch the bit where we all found out that I like to argue?  :)
Yes, I believe the subject came up once or twice  ;)

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 06:48:24 AM
I haven't changed my mind about anything, but this came out of my mouth this weekend at Cub Scout camp:

(Upon seeing children doing something stupid who, when shouted at to stop .... refused to stop):  Well, I guess that's why God invented Darwin.

If you don't see at least three distinct levels of irony there, PM me and I will gladly explain them.  :)
LOL.  Literally.
With your permission, sir, I would like to start using that. 

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 06:57:15 AM
A flawed analogy just occurred to me:

America is a car, being driven down an icy road.  The electorate is the driver; could be drunk, could just be tired... this is where the flaw in the analogy creeps in.  But whatever the reason, the driver has become aware that the car is in a skid.  Now the "electorate" is in a panic; there is danger, but what to do about it?  There is an urge to turn hard to the right; an urge to turn hard to the left; maybe just holding the wheel in the center is the way to go?  Panic says, "Take the hands off the wheel!"

What is the right answer?   Everybody should know this... turn in the direction of the skid.

But you NEVER take your hands off the wheel.
I like the ship analogy.  Democracy is a big, slow ship in need of constant repair.  The captain keeps changing so sometimes the ship goes one way, and sometimes the other.  The disadvantage is that the ship is almost never going the right direction.  But it's usually pretty close, and can be pulled back from going the wrong direction.  So while it seems that disaster is always at hand, it never seems to happen. 

A dictatorship is a speedboat.  It goes one way really fast, which in the short term usually looks like a better idea.  The captain is certain that it is the right way, and sometimes it is (Singapore), but usually it isn't.

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 07:58:34 AM
I have other, more significant things I've changed my mind about that I don't feel like doing backstory for, but I will say that I recently changed my opinion of Keanu Reeves as an actor. I used to think he wasn't that great. "Whoa" and "I know kung fu" have got to be the stupidest lines delivered ever. But then I realized--Neo is an idiot. He's not smart like Trinity or Morpheus--he might be a good hacker, but he's a dumb guy. He's an "everyman" character that gets to be the messiah, of course he's going to sound stupid. Ted is also a dumb character; that's the point. Just because Reeves does "dumb" very well doesn't mean he's a bad actor.

According to IMDb, he's been in 61 movies and TV shows. I've probably seen seven of them, three of which are the Matrix trilogy (Animatrix doesn't count). He was pretty good in Little Buddha and Something's Gotta Give; I hated Sweet November but that wasn't Reeves' fault. So, I withdraw my opinion of him as a bad actor and I'll see some more movies and collect some more data before making another judgment.

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #40 on: January 23, 2008, 12:37:24 PM
I have changed my mind about horror movies (and horror in general).  I used to hate them when I was a kid.  I would get so freaked out that I wasn't having fun.  I have no clue why my parents let me watch that stuff (although not horror, I remember being about six and watching Robocop with my dad.  I had nightmares about the ED-209 blasting a hole in a board member in the middle of a meeting!).  Now that I'm older and I can handle adult themes I really enjoy seeing the living dead shambling around and the occasional serial killer on screen, in novels, and on podcasts.  A little fear is a good thing.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #41 on: January 23, 2008, 01:59:14 PM
I have other, more significant things I've changed my mind about that I don't feel like doing backstory for, but I will say that I recently changed my opinion of Keanu Reeves as an actor. I used to think he wasn't that great. "Whoa" and "I know kung fu" have got to be the stupidest lines delivered ever. But then I realized--Neo is an idiot. He's not smart like Trinity or Morpheus--he might be a good hacker, but he's a dumb guy. He's an "everyman" character that gets to be the messiah, of course he's going to sound stupid. Ted is also a dumb character; that's the point. Just because Reeves does "dumb" very well doesn't mean he's a bad actor.

According to IMDb, he's been in 61 movies and TV shows. I've probably seen seven of them, three of which are the Matrix trilogy (Animatrix doesn't count). He was pretty good in Little Buddha and Something's Gotta Give; I hated Sweet November but that wasn't Reeves' fault. So, I withdraw my opinion of him as a bad actor and I'll see some more movies and collect some more data before making another judgment.
Not to try and tell you you're wrong, but have you seen F.F. Coppola's Dracula;)  Most memorable line: "Ah know wheah the bastud sleeps!"  At least the awful performances of Reeves and Winona Ryder in that film are offset by Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins.

(Reeves is not a particularly good actor, but he gets a lot of work because [as I understand it] he's easy to work with -- he shows up on time, doesn't argue with the director, and otherwise comports himself like a professional.)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #42 on: January 24, 2008, 12:57:21 PM

LOL.  Literally.
With your permission, sir, I would like to start using that. 

Consider it under Creative Commons.  :)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #43 on: January 24, 2008, 01:07:33 PM

Not to try and tell you you're wrong, but have you seen F.F. Coppola's Dracula;)  Most memorable line: "Ah know wheah the bastud sleeps!"  At least the awful performances of Reeves and Winona Ryder in that film are offset by Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins.

(Reeves is not a particularly good actor, but he gets a lot of work because [as I understand it] he's easy to work with -- he shows up on time, doesn't argue with the director, and otherwise comports himself like a professional.)

To help you solidify whatever opinion you choose to draw, you should see at least:

1) Much Ado About Nothing - a fantastic, fun Shakespeare production (Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson; Denzel Washington as the Prince)... with Keanu as Denzel's "evil, younger brother".

2) A Walk In the Clouds - Keanu, fresh back in the States after WWII, agrees to pretend to be betrothed to a pregnant girl as part of her plan to keep her family from shunning her when she turns up single and pregnant.  The girl's grandfather is played by Anthony Quinn; he sees through them, and (being a Napa valley winemaker) gets Keanu drunk to try to tease the truth out of him.  Scene is Anthony Quinn, turning in a performance that is 6 parts bonhomie, 4 parts cunning, and 10 parts textured and fascinating... and Keanu being Drunk Ted.

I got used to the let-down of having Keanu turn up in movies that I would otherwise like to see, and hardly notice him now.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #44 on: January 24, 2008, 02:14:32 PM
[Keanu Reeves]
To help you solidify whatever opinion you choose to draw, you should see at least:

1) Much Ado About Nothing - a fantastic, fun Shakespeare production (Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson; Denzel Washington as the Prince)... with Keanu as Denzel's "evil, younger brother".
Seen it; thought Reeves was the one weak link in the cast and railed against his presence. Apart from that ... hey nonny nonny!  :)

2) A Walk In the Clouds - Keanu, fresh back in the States after WWII, agrees to pretend to be betrothed to a pregnant girl as part of her plan to keep her family from shunning her when she turns up single and pregnant.  The girl's grandfather is played by Anthony Quinn; he sees through them, and (being a Napa valley winemaker) gets Keanu drunk to try to tease the truth out of him.  Scene is Anthony Quinn, turning in a performance that is 6 parts bonhomie, 4 parts cunning, and 10 parts textured and fascinating... and Keanu being Drunk Ted.
IOW, the role he was born to play  :D  Maybe I'll see it sometime, but I'll not make any particular effort to.

I got used to the let-down of having Keanu turn up in movies that I would otherwise like to see, and hardly notice him now.
Well, he's not really awful (except in Dracula as noted above); he's just not very good.  He's just ... there.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #45 on: January 24, 2008, 04:03:09 PM
I used to believe that it mattered who I voted for, or if I voted at all.

If you don't vote, you have no right to do anything other than sit there and be quiet.  If you want to stand up and bitch, you have to at the very least cast your ballot.

Balls.  I shouldn't have to vote for somebody I find repugnant just because s/he is the least repugnant of the available choices.  That's unacceptable.  I want a "none of the above" option.  Failing that, I'll sit the whole crooked game out.

As I see it, the only people who have no right to complain are the ones who voted for the politician in office.  For example, if you voted for Bush, you have no bitching rights, because you got what you asked for.

My wife holds the (in the opinion of EVERYONE I know) erroneous opinion that if you voted, even if your guy didn't win, you don't get to complain, but if you didn't vote, you can complain to your heart's content.

She didn't vote.  I did.  My guy didn't win.  (It wasn't Kerry.)

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #46 on: January 25, 2008, 01:13:44 AM
My wife holds the (in the opinion of EVERYONE I know) erroneous opinion that if you voted, even if your guy didn't win, you don't get to complain, but if you didn't vote, you can complain to your heart's content.
Mrs. Listener apparently holds the anarchic view that "voting only encourages them."   :D

(A view that I find myself more inclined toward with each passing year.)