Author Topic: PseudoPod Flash Fiction Contest VI Rules, Schedule, and FAQ  (Read 888 times)

kurniadimartin

• Extern
    • Instagram
Re: PseudoPod Flash Fiction Contest VI Rules, Schedule, and FAQ
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2019, 09:13:53 AM »
I have submitted my story and I do hope can get everyone's input to bettering my craft :)

Deborah L. Davitt

• Matross
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 09:29:38 AM »
I agree, but as most of our contest entries happen in the first two days of the window and the last two days, we can't save a lot of work for the end of the submission period. A month allows for pulling the stories out of Submittable, making sure they conform to the guidelines, anonymizing them, and then setting up all the brackets invisibly behind a curtain which can be pulled back as the contest proceeds. We also like to mix stories submitted at the beginning of the deadline with stories from the end. It's reminiscent to assembling a collage by hand, and the folks like bDoomed that do this put in a heroic amount of effort to make these contest happen.

Yep, as I said, I figured it was the growing hugeness of the contests that required more prep time. Having worked as an tech writer for many years, and having had to reformat stuff from forums into Word on my own a few times, I'm aware of just how much work reformatting can be, especially when there are no automatic tools to strip out metadata, artifacts from word processing programs, etc. So I salute bDoomed and the rest of the volunteers who do this thankless task! :)

FictionPhial

• Lochage
    • The Fiction Phial
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 03:52:14 AM »
What are you looking for in a bio? I think I fail at bio writing.

I don't think it matters too much because I THINK (correct me someone?) that in the event your story is chosen to be narrated, you'll be given a chance to submit a new bio anyway during the contract-signing bit.
"You should promise to do the impossible, because sometimes the impossible was possible, if you could find the right way, and at least you could often extend the limits of the possible.  And if you failed, well, it had been impossible." -- Going Postal

stephenabel

• Extern
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »
Hello all, and good luck.

thinknzombie

• Extern
    • The Various Scribblings of Andrew J. Savage
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2019, 05:42:38 PM »
Cannot wait!

pchand

• Extern
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2019, 11:49:12 PM »
Thanks so much for hosting this, looking forward to some excellent work  :D

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2019, 05:59:51 AM »
I agree, but as most of our contest entries happen in the first two days of the window and the last two days, we can't save a lot of work for the end of the submission period. A month allows for pulling the stories out of Submittable, making sure they conform to the guidelines, anonymizing them, and then setting up all the brackets invisibly behind a curtain which can be pulled back as the contest proceeds. We also like to mix stories submitted at the beginning of the deadline with stories from the end. It's reminiscent to assembling a collage by hand, and the folks like bDoomed that do this put in a heroic amount of effort to make these contest happen.

Yep, as I said, I figured it was the growing hugeness of the contests that required more prep time. Having worked as an tech writer for many years, and having had to reformat stuff from forums into Word on my own a few times, I'm aware of just how much work reformatting can be, especially when there are no automatic tools to strip out metadata, artifacts from word processing programs, etc. So I salute bDoomed and the rest of the volunteers who do this thankless task! :)

All too true. I'm thinking of putting in a rule for next time that all bold and italicized text have to be formatted _like this_ instead of normal formatting. Most of the work is finding italics in the text and transferring those over, and depending on the typeface that's in the document, it can be pretty difficult to spot all of the italics.

Or maybe I'll look into some kind of scripting to automate it hehe.
I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Deborah L. Davitt

• Matross
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2019, 11:15:29 PM »
I know someone who developed a plugin for Word that would do that for you. (And undoes smart quotes to ASCII standard, etc.) I often use that thing for markets that require this kind of formatting. It's not *pretty* by any means and tends to put the lines around _punctuation_, _as it were_, _rather oddly_, but give me automation with minimal cleanup any day over having to find all my italics in a 6k word story . . . let me ping him for you?

tely

• Extern
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2019, 07:19:56 PM »
Could you post special formatting rules which would make your life easier? I suspect most submitters would be happy to comply.

MonsieurMoustache

• Peltast
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2019, 03:47:04 AM »

All too true. I'm thinking of putting in a rule for next time that all bold and italicized text have to be formatted _like this_ instead of normal formatting. Most of the work is finding italics in the text and transferring those over, and depending on the typeface that's in the document, it can be pretty difficult to spot all of the italics.

Or maybe I'll look into some kind of scripting to automate it hehe.

I use a GoogleDocs plug-in that does a marvellous job of converting to HTML. It's just the click of a button. Here's a link to  it https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/docs-to-markdown/igffnbdfnodiaphfmfaiiaegmoljbghf

It's worked well for me, but it's for HTML only. Is there CSS involved for this?

NicoleJLeBoeuf

• Peltast
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2019, 03:32:38 PM »
Data point: I would absolutely support a submission guidelines requirement to denote italics using MMD. It's pretty widespread--various discussion fora and blog comment editors utilize it, and Scrivener's MMD compile options seem popular--and it's easy to describe ("Please denote italics with asterisks, *like this,* ok?")

Whatever makes administering this contest easier on its administrators/facilitators, I can get behind that.

Liam

• Palmer
« Reply #31 on: Today at 10:12:16 AM »
To keep things simple, is there any way to simply "lose" bold and italics? I.e. if someone submits but doesn't follow the "preferred" option, EscapeArtists don't have to do any work, it just comes through without that formatting? I doubt too many stories would suffer overly!