Author Topic: EP691-EP692: Lab B-15 (in 2 Parts)  (Read 2209 times)

divs

on: August 23, 2019, 11:12:28 PM
Escape Pod 691: Lab B-15 (Part 1 of 2)

Escape Pod 691: Lab B-15 (Part 2 of 2)

Author : Nick Wolven
Narrator : Trendane Sparks
Host : Benjamin C. Kinney
Audio Producer : Adam Pracht

Lab B-15 originally appeared in Analog, March/April 2018.

---

The young man was sitting outside the parking garage, and right away Jerry thought that was weird. This was the Arizona desert, middle of summer. People didn’t sit outside. They especially didn’t sit outside ugly parking garages, on strips of hot concrete, with no grass in sight.

The boy was Arvin Taylor, one of the lab techs from the day shift. Not a person Jerry saw often, though technically one of his employees. He ought to be working, not lazing around outdoors.

“Arvin.” Jerry pulled up, rolled down the window. “What are you–?”

But Arvin was already hurrying toward the car.

“Doctor Emery.” All the techs addressed Jerry as “doctor.” It was something he insisted on. None of this Joe-John-Jane stuff, everyone on a first-name basis, like they were Mouseketeers or flight attendants. With the work they were doing, they couldn’t afford to be casual.

Arvin bent down, peering in the window, squinting in the sun. He was dressed professionally, but cheaply: Dockers, button shirt.

The boy must have been sitting outside for hours. His shirt was soaked with sweat. He looked woozy, sunstruck.

“I’m glad I caught you, Doctor Emery.”

“How long have you been out here, Arvin?”

“It’s really important.” The young man’s eyes slid sideways, feverish. Jerry worried he might pass out. “I have to tell you …”

And that was it. Arvin’s mouth hung open, tongue moving vaguely.

Jerry put a hand on the gearshift, a gentle reminder. He had work to do, places to be. “I’m due in the office. If I’m not mistaken, you’re supposed to be there, too. Doesn’t your shift go till six?”

Arvin wasn’t listening. His eyes had assumed a peculiar cast, half daft, half frantic, like a circuit inside him had failed to connect. “It’s about … Lab B-15.”

Listen to Part 1!

Listen to Part 2!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 11:14:54 PM by divs »

acpracht

• EA Staff
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 04:25:56 AM
Tren can read me the phone book - including every number and descriptions of the pictures in the yellow pages - and I'm on board.

Trendane

• Extern
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 11:04:48 PM

zoanon

• Peltast
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 02:45:54 AM
this was great!
nice to see character development after death ;)
I spent a long time contemplating consciousness after listening.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 06:29:18 PM
I really enjoyed the story. But I feel like I have heard it, or something very like it, somewhere before. Anyone have an idea of what I might be thinking of?