Escape Artists
November 23, 2014, 06:57:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EP001: Imperial  (Read 4619 times)
Russell Nash
« on: January 14, 2008, 03:19:32 AM »

EP001: Imperial

By Jonathan Sullivan
Read by Stephen Eley.

Our debut Issue!

Dennis blinked through his dripping eyelashes at the irresistible abomination seated on the blue-green grass two meters in front of him. The Pig smiled her bio-engineered leopard-smile at him and kept her right hand prominently in contact with the stun-gun at her hip.

He stared, too choked with shock, desire and tepid river water to speak.

Rated R. Contains profanity, sexual content, politics, and sarcasm.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 03:25:59 AM by Russell Nash » Logged
eytanz

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 03:13:41 PM »

Ok, finally got around to having some time to re-listen to this story.

I have to say, listening to the very first EP intro was cool. As someone who joined after the creation of Pseudopod - i.e., when the podcast was already large enough to expand - It was pretty interesting to see how it all began. And overall, I got a feeling that EP stuck to its original mission pretty well, though the emphasis on "fun" stories seems to have shifted a bit to an emphasis on "good" stories.

As for the story itself - it's a really good one. I really liked how the tables were turned on both the somewhat insufferable protagonist, and on his rival. The "sexy cat-woman" stuff felt a bit gratuitous, but in a fun way; it felt more like an homage to pulp story writing than anything else. It really helped that for all her sexuality, the woman was more competant than the man, whose own sexuality led him to lose the race to the planet. Turned out not to matter, but still.

And I liked the tree cats. Cool alien race.
Russell Nash
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 10:15:35 AM »

I couldn't resist writing feedback on the first episode, so I relistened to it.  You can really appreciate the way Steve has polished his presentation over the years.  How he has either grown his "announcers voice" or how he tweaks the bass when he records his lines.

The story itself was a keeper for me.  I keep less than 10% of the shows.  Pretty impressive that right out of the gate he has a winner. 

How likely is this battle?  We have the fight between industrialization and conservancy now, but does it really have the chance to spread to the stars?
eytanz

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 01:01:55 PM »

How likely is this battle?  We have the fight between industrialization and conservancy now, but does it really have the chance to spread to the stars?

My guess is that the battle is exactly as likely as the chance of us finding a significant amount of other planets with biospheres of the same complexity as Earth. If they are very rare, then they will either become very precious resources to be exploited, or they will be very rigidly conserved - i.e. one position will win out completely (at least for any point in time - there could be a shift back and forth between positions, but not an active conflict). If Earth like planets are a dime a dozen, then neither position will matter much, at least not to the majority of the population (which, I should say, may be the case in this story, we don't see enough of the overall society to know). If Earth-like planets are rare enough to be precious but not too rare to be very special, then we can be facing a long-lasting philosophical conflict.
Russell Nash
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 10:16:11 AM »

From a realistic point of view I don't think many planets (realistic?) would be destroyed for natural resources, at least not minerals.  It will probably be far more efficient to capture astroroids near where the resources are needed. 

I think this story was more like the equivalent of Coke going into South America.  Just trying to find more customers.  Getting the people to decide between having cool future stuff or just keeping their own junk.  I don't see how they can expect anyplace to say, "no take your land speeders. I'll just walk."
Tango Alpha Delta
Hipparch

Drawn to the forum...

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »

I finally got around to it, too; and wow! 

I wonder how accidental it was that the first story was about the back-handed colonization of "civilization" by an unlikely bunch of dreamers?  After all, from where I sit, that's exactly what Escape Pod has become!

Seriously, though, it was a fun, sassy story, and made me take an extra turn around the block with my confused dog ("But, the house is THAT way!") so I could finish it.  And except for  "Vicki", all the elements were in place, already; Steve ( of course), "Story time", and "Have Fun" at the end.

Gee, I really hope it stays this much fun over the next 100 or so episodes.  Wink

Now on  FaceBook, and Twitter. Not as productive as I used to be!
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »

And thus was the mothership launched!  Smiley

Good choice for the opening story, good conflict and well portrayed as the world was shown to me bit by bit, and good to see Sullydog involved so early on.  I've liked his stories so far--more please!

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
Max e^{i pi}
Hipparch

Have towel, will travel.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 12:01:53 PM »

Finally got around to listening to this, and I have one thing to say to you, Mr. Eley.
"Ooking" was invented by Terry Pratchet. It's the sound of the Librarian communicating with others, or with himself. Used in a sentence:
The Librarian knuckled off, softly ooking to himself

Also, wow. It was really cool to listen to the first EP episode from 8 years ago coming to me via time warp.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: