Author Topic: Film Poll XV: New Blood  (Read 12808 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: January 16, 2008, 10:30:44 PM
Indy Jones won for three weeks, almost invoking the four wins and retirement clause.  But now we have a new champ - the second of the original (and, as far as I'm concerned, only) Star Wars trilogy.  Can this week's movies compare?  Let's see...

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:55:43 PM
I'd love to vote for Fight Club.  But it's ESB again for me.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 10:56:48 PM
Went with Fight Club, weirdly.  I love ESB to tiny, TINY pieces but going back over them, I had a really strong emotional reaction to Fight Club and a weaker one to ESB.  Still love it, but Fight Club's perhaps a tiny amount closer to my heart.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 01:53:25 AM
Can't rightly vote here ... haven't seen all the movies, and apart from Empire the two that I have seen were so long ago that I barely remember them (Young Frankenstein much moreso than Lambs.)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 02:07:46 AM
I was totally going to go for Run Lola Run until I saw Young Frankenstein and now I am torn.

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

Russell Nash

Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 08:08:35 AM
I like Lola Rennt.  I bought the disc.  It suffers from the same problem as The Bourne Ultimatum (was that the second one?).  I live in Berlin and Lola goes running through town for the whole movie.  The thing is she runs from landmark to landmark that are no where near one another.  Instead of running A B C D E, she runs A R D Q Z B.  To someone who doesn't live here it doesn't matter, but it annoys the hell out of me.

The only one on the list I haven't seen is Fight Club, and that's going to be ESB's strongest competitor.  I had to go with ESB.

eytanz

Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:02:28 AM
I like Lola Rennt.  I bought the disc.  It suffers from the same problem as The Bourne Ultimatum (was that the second one?).  I live in Berlin and Lola goes running through town for the whole movie.  The thing is she runs from landmark to landmark that are no where near one another.  Instead of running A B C D E, she runs A R D Q Z B.  To someone who doesn't live here it doesn't matter, but it annoys the hell out of me.

Heh. I know the feeling - remember the rather insipid Steven Spielberg movie "Terminal"? In the end of the movie, Tom Hanks take a taxi from a hotel on Lexington Avenue back to JFK (he is clearly telling the driver where to go). The next shot is of him driving through Times Square. That's a pretty big detour, and was obviously only chosen because Time Square is more iconic than anywhere that is actually on his route.

The only one on the list I haven't seen is Fight Club, and that's going to be ESB's strongest competitor.  I had to go with ESB.

I had to go with Fight Club. ESB wowed me the first time I saw it, and is still very, very enjoyable to this day. Fight Club wowed me the first, second, third and fourth times I saw it, and is also still very, very enjoyable.

Simon

• Peltast
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 11:41:18 AM

[/quote]

I am desperately tempted to vote for Lola... Primarily because it's excellent, well made, and Franka Potente is (in that movie and the first Bourne one) just about the sexiest woman who has ever been immortalised in celluloid...  But it really can't beat Young Frankenstein on any level.

Pity really. (also, while we're at it...  Empire is an excellent first scene, followed by a shit movie with some daft hippy bits, followed by a ridiculous climax that Lucas just pulled out of his arse...  I really don't understand the love of that film).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 11:43:51 AM by Simon »

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 01:06:31 PM
Never seen lola, but I've seen the rest.  Young Frankenstein isn't even Brooks' best film, much less the best of the list.
ESB is a great, fun movie, but Fight Club is a fun movie with the benefit of deeper writing and great cinematography.  I can't say that about any other movie in this list.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 01:39:46 PM
...must bump Fight Club up on the NetFlix queue... and add Run Lola Run... how did I miss THAT one?

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 07:48:05 PM
Run Lola Run was in my list of movies to see for a long time, just got to it this summer.  It was excellent, and I'm glad I did.

Still, I voted for Silence of the Lambs.  That movie just chills me, something which very few movies have ever accomplished.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 11:22:54 PM
Wow, the toughest call yet for me.  Had to go ESB, but liked the rest and loved Lola and Silence.   Interesting tidbit from Russell about Lola, I read a ton of movie reviews and had not heard that before.   

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

eytanz

Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 11:27:29 PM
This thread made me decide to see Run Lola Run again. I remember liking it quite a bit, but it never occured to me there would be people who seriously compare it to ESB or Fight Club. Seems like I should re-evaluate it.

(Now I just need to figure out how to get a copy. Maybe the new iTunes movie rentals has it. Hmm...)

Russell Nash

Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 09:09:58 AM
Wow, the toughest call yet for me.  Had to go ESB, but liked the rest and loved Lola and Silence.   Interesting tidbit from Russell about Lola, I read a ton of movie reviews and had not heard that before.   

At the time the movie was filmed East and West Berlin were still very different.  If you look at the architecture and the upkeep of the buildings, you can see she runs through an East Berlin street and then West and then East and then West.  You do really need to know Berlin a bit to get it.

Open invite: if anyone from the forums here comes to Berlin, I'll give a little tour of the places in the movie.  Normally when someone comes to Berlin and asks me to show them around, I say, "I don't know any of the tourist stuff. I live here."

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 11:28:07 PM
Fight Club FTW
almost close one with Young Frankenstein.  I love the movie.  Unfortunately for Mel Brooks I love Chuck Palahniuk more.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 11:29:52 PM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

williamjamesw

• Palmer
Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 06:14:18 AM
I voted for Lola, because,  of all of the movies listed; it was the only one that I immediately wanted to watch again after I finished it the first time.  The rest were just finished after a single viewing, but this one didn't let go as easily.

I'll just go back to being silent again now.

Russell Nash

Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 07:23:16 PM
I voted for Lola, because,  of all of the movies listed; it was the only one that I immediately wanted to watch again after I finished it the first time.  The rest were just finished after a single viewing, but this one didn't let go as easily.

New meat in the forums.  Greetings William.  Since you started with something in Gallimaufry instead of episode comments, I'm assuming we'll see a lot more of you.

I would have rewatched Lola as soon as I was finished, but I saw it on VHS in German.  My German was official classified as shitty at the time.  It has since moved up to bad.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 09:54:31 PM
I would have rewatched Lola as soon as I was finished, but I saw it on VHS in German.  My German was official classified as shitty at the time.  It has since moved up to bad.

:D I hope to elevate my Japanese from "shitty" to "bad" someday.  Maybe I'll even get it higher than that (a guy can dream, can't he?)

(it wasn't subtitled?)

Russell Nash

Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 09:22:11 AM

:D I hope to elevate my Japanese from "shitty" to "bad" someday.  Maybe I'll even get it higher than that (a guy can dream, can't he?)

(it wasn't subtitled?)

No subtitles.  I watched it in Berlin on one of my first trips to visit my then gf (now wife).  I was just trying to revive some of my very old HS German.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 03:06:25 PM

(it wasn't subtitled?)

No subtitles.  I watched it in Berlin on one of my first trips to visit my then gf (now wife).  I was just trying to revive some of my very old HS German.

I have to ask, do you ever wave a jelly donut around and shout "Ich bin ein Berliner!" just for a laugh? 

Russell Nash

Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 04:17:16 PM

(it wasn't subtitled?)

I have to ask, do you ever wave a jelly donut around and shout "Ich bin ein Berliner!" just for a laugh? 

No German has ever understood that joke the first time around.  That's a purely American joke.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 08:48:29 PM
Fight Club and ESB are currently tied.  I comment on this fact primarily in hopes that bumping the thread will give us a tiebreaker vote.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 11:25:27 PM

(it wasn't subtitled?)

No German has ever understood that joke the first time around.  That's a purely American joke.

Well, if I ever get back to Germany for another visit, I will try to refrain from inflicting that on them.  They are really very nice people, and shouldn't have to suffer the likes of me.  :)

I was in Garmisch-Partenkirchen for 5 weeks of a 6 week language refresher course, and went out for karaoke night with some of my classmates.  We all had a great time until one guy decided - after only one yard of beer - to try doing "Material Girl" with what he called "a Scottish accent".  The Germans in the pub were very polite, but clearly disturbed, as none of it sounded particularly Scottish... and they weren't sure who he was trying to make fun of.  One fellow came up to my embarrassed colleague afterward and said, "You have sounded like Korn tonight." The friend smiled and said thanks, and the German guy said, "We do not like Korn."

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 03:29:17 AM
Revisiting this old thread to comment that I've watched Fight Club last night, and while it was quite a fucked-up mindtrip (and I mean that in the best possible way :)), I would have cast my vote for Empire in this poll. (I didn't vote.)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 03:18:26 PM
mehh

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?