Escape Artists
August 22, 2018, 12:08:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which movie do you like best?  (Voting closed: January 30, 2008, 01:40:43 AM)
The Empire Strikes Back - 8 (40%)
Life of Brian - 3 (15%)
Citizen Kane - 6 (30%)
Spiderman 2 - 1 (5%)
The Road Warrior (Mad Max 2) - 2 (10%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Film Poll XVI: Beyond Thunderdome  (Read 8826 times)
wakela
Hipparch

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 09:54:02 PM »

Wow.  I can't bring myself to vote.

I would like to point out that the question is "Which movie do you like the most?" Not "Which movie do you think is the best?"
CK is of course a great movie, but not enjoyable the same way the others are. 

Now the Magnificent Ambersons with the lost footage on the other hand...
Ocicat
Castle Watchcat

Anything for a Weird Life

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 01:14:01 AM »

Now the Magnificent Ambersons with the lost footage on the other hand...

*laughs*

Now there's a thought!  A poll of your favorite movies from the Impossible Dreams universe...

*laughs more*
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 01:32:44 AM »

Now there's a thought!  A poll of your favorite movies from the Impossible Dreams universe...

Mine just might be the Battlefield Earth trilogy, or Heavy Metal: The Incal (hell, come to that, I'd also like to see Alejandro Jodorowsky's Dune.)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
gelee
Lochage

It's a missile, boy.

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 08:54:13 AM »

(the 20th Century Fox lead-in still gives me goosebumps)
I went the longest time thinking that the 20th Century Fox music WAS the beginning of the Start Wars music. 

I think our love for Star Wars is a generational thing.  We were young and impressionable when it came out, and we had all the toys.  I had a completely ambivalent attitude to the new Transformers movie and couldn't believe they made a movie about toys so long out of fashion.  But a younger friend of mine couldn't believe how little I cared.  Not that I am comparing Star Wars to Transformers, I know Star Wars revolutionized everything, I just think we are biased simply because we were young when the first one came out. 
I'm guessing I'm only about 4 years younger than TAD, based on his recolection of 1977.  Jedi was the only one I saw in movie theatres.  I loved those ewoks.  Heh, how many people remember the Ewoks sequal?  I think it was made for TV.  Yeah, I loved that too.  Maybe seeing them out of order ruined it, but I had a few action figures, as well as a speeder that exploded when I smacked it into something.
The first movie I can actually remember clearly seeing in a theatre was E.T..  My mom took me for a matine, then promptly dragged the whole family (including my very reluctant dad) out to see it again that night.
As for the transformers, yeah, I have some great childhood memories of that show, but I've heard so many bad things about the movie that I haven't bothered to see it yet.
Chodon
Lochage

Molon Labe

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 11:27:11 AM »

As for the transformers, yeah, I have some great childhood memories of that show, but I've heard so many bad things about the movie that I haven't bothered to see it yet.
Strangely enough I watched Transformers this morning, so the whole thing is fresh in my mind.  It was good.  Not Star Wars good, but still good.  The visuals were impressive.  Who doesn't like to see giant robots beating the hell out of each other?  I think the CG was a little overdone.  I would have liked the transformers a little less detailed, in fact.  There are so many little nooks and crannies on the things that it was distracting.  Just too much to look at.  The story was good, and the acting was good too.  I give it the Chodon seal of approval.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: