Author Topic: EP705-707: Rule of Three  (Read 1400 times)

divs

on: November 26, 2019, 09:50:04 PM
Escape Pod 705: Rule of Three (Part 1 of 3)

Escape Pod 706: Rule of Three (Part 2 of 3)

Escape Pod 707: Rule of Three (Part 3 of 3)

Author: Lawrence M. Schoen
Narrator: Christopher Tang
Host: S.B. Divya
Audio Producer: Adam Pracht

Rule of Three was first published in Future SF, no. 1, in 2018.

---

Content Warning: Includes swearing and descriptions of human reproduction and sexuality.

Popular culture failed to prepare me for first contact. Countless starships bristling with canon and rail gun turrets did not fill the skies. The aliens didn’t flood our television and radio bands with messages of conquest or world peace or miracle cures. They didn’t present themselves to the United Nations or to any government leaders. None of that. I was sitting in my condo in a suburb of Washington, D.C. when my mother phoned me from California. It was a Sunday afternoon. I’d just ordered a pizza and I’d planned to watch the big game on my new television. But my mother was on the phone. She’d just had a call from her own mother in her tiny mountain village back in China.

An alien had landed.

Listen to Part 1.
Listen to Part 2.
Listen to Part 3.

Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 07:50:45 PM
I really enjoyed this story and can't believe no one has commented on it yet. I loved the alienness of the alien. I loved the interesting constraints on how the alien perceived (or didn't) our world and it's inhabitants. And I loved the way the MC dealt with the threat in the end.

Also, as much as I love the concept of the Rule of Three, I'm not sure I would want a society that lives by that rule. So much of what defines humanity is built by groups and coalitions, sometimes over generations. I don't think I would want to remove that aspect from our society.