Author Topic: PseudoPod 677: When a Beast Looks Up at the Stars  (Read 1266 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: December 02, 2019, 03:56:34 PM
PseudoPod 677: When a Beast Looks Up at the Stars

Author: Orrin Grey 
Narrator: Jon Padgett
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Chelsea Davis

“When a Beast Looks Up at the Stars” was first published in Orrin’s third collection Guignol and Other Sardonic Tales

Show Notes
Werewolf Ambulance Podcast:
http://werewolfambulance.libsyn.com/

Pure Cinema Podcast:
http://www.nowplayingnetwork.net/purecinema

“What’s the earliest memory you have of your father?” my therapist is asking. Such a tired line, something that a therapist would ask in a movie. I don’t tell him the truth, of course. I cast around for an easy lie, the same one that I would give to Kenzie if she asked, though she never does. Tell him something about my dad wrapping Christmas presents in old shoe boxes, packing them in socks, a twenty-dollar bill stuck between two bricks, wrapped in faded paper. Something that could be cute but always felt mean-spirited.

My laptop case is lying on the floor of the office. In it is a letter on stationery from the Seldon Civics Committee or somesuch, a clipping from the Seldon Herald, complete with a grainy newsprint photo of the old Gorka Theatre, with its marquee like an art deco wave. I’m driving there from here, in a rented black Accord, but I thought it would be a good idea to get one last therapy session in before I go.

No, let me stop. That’s a lie, and I know it. Kenzie thought it would be a good idea, and she’s right, but I knew it would be a waste of time, and it is. I talk about Seldon, about my childhood, about my dad, but I skim over the surface, like I’ve taught myself to do. A rock skipping across a deep, black pond, never touching the water long enough to attract the attention of the beasts that circle below.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 09:47:40 PM
The only way things could have ended worse for the main character is if the last film of the triple feature had been "Manos: the Hands of Fate" and the final revelation was that his dad was the dude who played Torgo.

As a movie fan I appreciated the numerous references. A humorous meta version of this story with a jaded critic similar to the main character in Tobias Wolff's "Bullet in the Brain" making acerbic comments about the derivative horror elements would be interesting.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 12:59:45 AM by Marlboro »