Author Topic: PseudoPod 684: The Most Dangerous Game  (Read 1260 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: January 11, 2020, 11:39:10 PM
PseudoPod 684: The Most Dangerous Game

Author: Richard Connell
Narrator: Dave Robison
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Chelsea Davis

‘The Most Dangerous Game” was originally published in the January 19, 1924 issue of Collier’s

“Off there to the right—somewhere—is a large island,” said Whitney. “It’s rather a mystery—”

“What island is it?” Rainsford asked.

“The old charts call it ‘Ship-Trap Island,’ ” Whitney replied. “A suggestive name, isn’t it? Sailors have a curious dread of the place. I don’t know why. Some superstition—”

“Can’t see it,” remarked Rainsford, trying to peer through the dank tropical night that was palpable as it pressed its thick warm blackness in upon the yacht.

“You’ve good eyes,” said Whitney, with a laugh, “and I’ve seen you pick off a moose moving in the brown fall bush at four hundred yards, but even you can’t see four miles or so through a moonless Caribbean night.”

“Nor four yards,” admitted Rainsford. “Ugh! It’s like moist velvet.”

“It will be light enough in Rio,” promised Whitney. “We should make it in a few days. I hope the jaguar guns have come from Purdey’s. We should have some good hunting up the Amazon. Great sport, hunting.”

“The best sport in the world,” agreed Rainsford.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 01:17:17 PM
A classic. Often immitated, never duplicated. Nice reading by Dave Robison, as always.

The host mentioned that this was adapted many times for radio back in the day and highlighted an episode of Suspense featuring Orson Welles. Now I'll be the first one to admit that Welles was a genius (maybe even more so on radio than on film) but I think his Most Dangerous Game was a bit of a misfire. My favorite version is from Suspense's sister show Escape. They did a very nice version featuring Paul Frees and Hans Conreid in 1947. You can find it at the Internet Archive or on Youtube for free.

The 1932 film version is also highly recommended.

The Zodiac killer was a fan.

P.S.  For some good Orson Welles radio horror check out the Mercury Theatre's version of "Dracula" and "The War of the Worlds." 

"The Hitchhiker" from Suspense is an all-time classic, and their version of "Donovan's Brain" is also very good.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 01:27:55 PM by Marlboro »

Languorous Lass

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 06:14:29 AM
Marlboro, I am constantly amazed by the depth of your knowledge of audio fiction.