Poll

Which podcasts would you highly recommend to your friends?

Air Out My Shorts
3 (2.2%)
Classic Tales
4 (2.9%)
clonepod
5 (3.6%)
Cthulhu Podcast
0 (0%)
Darker Projects
4 (2.9%)
Decoder Ring Theater
8 (5.8%)
Drabblecast
18 (13.1%)
Escape Pod
28 (20.4%)
New Yorker: Fiction
3 (2.2%)
Nobilis Erotica
1 (0.7%)
PodCastle
22 (16.1%)
PRI Selected Shorts
4 (2.9%)
Pseudopod
12 (8.8%)
This American Life
13 (9.5%)
Variant Frequencies
10 (7.3%)
Well Told Tales
2 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Short Story Podcasts  (Read 25608 times)

goatkeeper

Re: Short Story Podcasts
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2008, 12:22:35 AM »
I wish I could revote and put in Well Told Tales- people should check it out- it's up there with all the main one's others have voted for.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2008, 12:47:56 PM »
I wish I could revote and put in Well Told Tales- people should check it out- it's up there with all the main one's others have voted for.

I listened to one of those -- the one Rick Stringer narrated, and despite his reading, it just didn't do that much for me.  Maybe I'll try another story. 

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2008, 09:07:33 AM »
I might recommend "The Moth Podcast".  They are monologues, not short stories, but they are quite entertaining.
Hey StankGunner,
First off, welcome to the forums.
Secondly, thanks for the great pod recommendations. I've just subscribed to The Moth Podcast, and Mr. Biggs. They sound... different. And that's a good thing.
How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

StankGunner

• Extern
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2008, 10:04:17 AM »
I might recommend "The Moth Podcast".  They are monologues, not short stories, but they are quite entertaining.
Hey StankGunner,
First off, welcome to the forums.
Secondly, thanks for the great pod recommendations. I've just subscribed to The Moth Podcast, and Mr. Biggs. They sound... different. And that's a good thing.

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, Mr. Biggs is hard to explain but loads of fun.  and The Moth is apparently a NYC monologue series that puts some things out on podcast.  If you really like them you can get more from their website, both to stream and to purchase.

fuzzygnome

• Palmer
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2008, 12:43:17 AM »
I'm new to podcasting, I just listen to Escapepod, Drabblecast, Pseudopod and now Podcastle.  I started Classic Tales and Variant Frequencies and couldn't get into them because of the readings... to me, the reading makes or breaks the story.  Escapepod usually has good readings but almost always has good stories- Drabblecast usually has good stories but always has good readings- I can't find other podcasts with consistancy in these areas, although I just got This American Life and I know that will be good. 
I also tried Darker Projects and haven't been able to get through most of what I started.

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2008, 07:33:02 PM »
...but I did like the "Dreamland" series for its SFnal qualities.

I plan on getting back into the SF after Balticon--my current serial is a speculative fairy tale.  Also, I've done a few shorts along the way with strong SF elements.

deflective

• Hipparch
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2008, 08:17:09 PM »
Quote from: goatkeeper link=topic=1322.msg23315#msg23315

you can absolutely change your votes.
there should be a remove vote option, hit that and then choose your new set of favourites.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2008, 10:58:24 PM »
...but I did like the "Dreamland" series for its SFnal qualities.

I plan on getting back into the SF after Balticon--my current serial is a speculative fairy tale.  Also, I've done a few shorts along the way with strong SF elements.

I'm interested.  I still have all the files of your show, up through "Magical Clothing Episode 6" though I've only listened as far as show #9 ("Erin Goes Braless").  Is "Magical Clothing" the speculative fairy tale you mention?  I haven't deleted the files yet because something about that title grabbed me.
"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2008, 07:58:14 AM »
Just popping back here to say that I listened to the first part of "Magical Clothing" last night.  Interesting ... a sort of sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes".  I'll keep listening; I'd like to see where this is going. :)

AarrowOM

• Palmer
  • "We are fleeting creatures, we humans!" - S Baxter
    • Aaron Morris's Website
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2008, 10:44:43 PM »
I haven't really been able to get into Darker Projects.

I also tried Darker Projects and haven't been able to get through most of what I started.

I guess I'm one of the few people here who like Darker Projects.  I'll admit that the differences between single-voice podcasts and multiple-voice podcasts (or audio theatre podcast) are substantial.  One of the problems I'm having with Darker Projects and now Broken Sea (which features a number of voice actors who started (to the best of my knowledge) at DP) is that I've begun to associate certain voices with certain parts.
Most that are profound would choose to narrate tales of living men with nouns like sorrow, verbs like lose, and action scenes, and love – but then there are now some, and brave they be, that speak of Lunar cities raised and silver spheres and purple seas, leaving us who listen dazed. -- Irena Foygel

goatkeeper

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2008, 12:34:25 AM »
I actually love the multi-voice thing about Darker Projects.  The reason I gave up on it was the stories.  I checked out 4 or 5 episodes and thought they were duds and then listened to the series "autumn" which was actually great but had, by far, the biggest "you've gotta be kidding me" ending EVER.
I should check them out again though- I think with better story selection and better mixing on their music/effects this podcast could be amazing.

goatkeeper

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2008, 10:03:58 PM »
Mur Lafferty is a robot.
Don't miss this week's Drabblecast.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2008, 10:30:26 PM »
I was looking at the classic tales podcast website and was wondering if anyone knew why only episodes 50 - 53 were available
thanks in advance
Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

clonepod

• Extern
    • clonepod
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2008, 05:33:56 PM »
Don't forget about our podcast www.clonepod.org - science fiction and fantasy stories read bi-weekly for your happiness.  Some upcoming episoded are Union Dues stories and a story by Neil Gaiman and David Brin.
Listen to sff stories at my podcast, clonepod.org

deflective

• Hipparch
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2008, 08:30:47 PM »
it appears that after adding new options to the poll you can no longer 'Remove Vote' to change your choices.

i'll probably wipe the voting in a week or two so that everyone has a chance to choose a new set of favourites. if there's a better way to do this i'd be very interested to hear it.

Windup

• Hipparch
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2008, 09:24:28 PM »

Of course, a lot would depend on the friend.  My wife loves This American Life but because of the way I listen to podcasts -- typically working out, cleaning, or doing house and yard work -- I strongly favor shorter podcasts.  And of course, no point in recommending Escape Pod to a friend who just isn't a fan of the genre.

Maybe a better question is: "Select your personal top 11 podcasts."
"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2008, 12:04:42 AM »
Hey Nobilis, I enjoyed "Magical Clothes" / "Magical Clothing" (you seemed to oscillate between the two titles; I'm not sure which is the correct one).  I liked how the sex was in service to the story, rather than the story being a vehicle for the sex -- some episodes were surprisingly light on the sexual content, which shows you were definitely thinking "story first." 

Kudos, and I look forward to your next SF project.

deflective

• Hipparch
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2008, 05:27:05 PM »
the poll has been wiped in order to add new options. you now have the chance to change your favourites.

unfortunately, due to program restrictions, the limit is still at eleven votes and the option to change your choices seems to have disappeared. hopefully these wont be big problems.

Of course, a lot would depend on the friend.

Maybe a better question is: "Select your personal top 11 podcasts."

the wording was intentional, this is supposed to be a way for people to discover new podcasts outside of escape artists.

just the fact that we're all reading this forum is an indication that we have similar tastes but, at the same time, we all have personal quirks. things we like that few other people do.

by filtering for a generic friend we should get a good recommendation for the average reader.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 05:33:17 PM by deflective »

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2008, 07:34:49 AM »
Thank you, deflective, for this list of wonderful short story podcasts! I never heard of Drabblecast and now I'm hooked! Wonderful strange podcast.
I must be a real strange girl to be loving those strange stories. Yep, I am. Thanks for introducing the podcast to me!

Having said that, I can't vote this poll... I keep telling my friends how I love fiction podcasts and audiobooks and NOBODY reacts! I want my friends to shout: "Yeah! Love it! Tell me more, please!" And then I will give them the whole list.

Come to think of it, I may need some new friends...
It is never too late to be what you might have been.

eytanz

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2008, 04:41:15 PM »
The "recommend to a friend" wording eliminated Air Out My Shorts for me - I listen to it and enjoy it a lot, but between the very irregular updates, the ton of in-jokes, and the rather peculiar sense of humor, I think I would not recommend it to a friend looking fo short stories.