Author Topic: Short Story Podcasts  (Read 35253 times)

Kurt Faler

• Palmer
Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 06:10:23 AM
Does anyone listen to Well Told Tales or Decoder Ring Theater?  I've been meaning to give them a try but haven't yet. 

Decoder Ring Theater is great.  It's a loving poke at pulp radio dramas.

I have to plug it too. Its in my top 5 easily.

Russell Nash

Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 07:56:52 PM
Does anyone listen to Well Told Tales or Decoder Ring Theater?  I've been meaning to give them a try but haven't yet. 
Decoder Ring Theater is great.  It's a loving poke at pulp radio dramas.
I have to plug it too. Its in my top 5 easily.

I downloaded the whole backlog and really didn't like the old Red Panda, but then Heradel and others kept talking about.  The Red Panda from after they started podcasting are much better and Black Jack Justice is just great.

goatkeeper

Reply #27 on: March 05, 2008, 12:31:23 AM
I need an RSS feed that offers mp3 files before I can subscribe to Drabblecast.  I don't have a device that'll play their file format.

yah, workin on that.  I mistakenly thought mp4 and m4a was standard, or becoming more standard, on most players a year ago and used iWeb to publish the cast (which only publishes those formats).  Tryin to figure something out but can't see anyway around it other than republishing everything with different software or starting a seperate mp3 feed

sayeth

• Palmer
    • Free Listens
Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 12:40:12 AM
I'm wanting to try out a few of these. Any favorite episodes?

Free Listens Audio Reviews: www.freelistens.blogspot.com

goatkeeper

Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 03:50:09 AM
Which podcasts?  Check out Variant Frequencies "No World for Warriors" by Matt Wallace- one of my fav stories on the list.

AarrowOM

• Palmer
  • "We are fleeting creatures, we humans!" - S Baxter
    • Aaron Morris's Website
Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 05:23:06 AM
I'm wanting to try out a few of these. Any favorite episodes?

I liked "Absolution Insured" and "The Rut" on Variant Frequencies.

At Darker Projects, I'd suggest "Black List" (Night Terrors), The Byron Chronicles (don't forget "Byron's Tale in the Night Terrors feed), and Gothik.  On a related note, anyone else listening to Darker Projects?

More of my reviews of some of the sites in the poll are at http://www.vu.union.edu/~morrisa/Podcasts_Index.htm.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 05:27:57 AM by AarrowOM »

Most that are profound would choose to narrate tales of living men with nouns like sorrow, verbs like lose, and action scenes, and love – but then there are now some, and brave they be, that speak of Lunar cities raised and silver spheres and purple seas, leaving us who listen dazed. -- Irena Foygel

jalan

• Extern
Reply #31 on: March 07, 2008, 05:56:29 AM
I haven't really been able to get into Darker Projects.  Escapepod is by far the best fiction podcast in general, in my opinion. My favorites so far, Friction and Barnaby in Exile.  Psuedopod and Drabblecast are my second favorite podcasts- Psuedopod's Bagman, That Old Black Magic by John Platt and Akroplis by Matt Wallace and Drabblecasts "Pumpinseeds" by Kevin Anderson, "Jelly Park" by Aliya Whitely and "Sing" by Kathleen Kathryn Rusch the best of those.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 04:14:08 AM
Clonepod. Good production, decent stories, edited by kids and adults. New.

Fans of the Union Dues stories, so that's always good.

Look for "Union Dues: The Ballad of Kitty Momoiro" to appear there soon.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 12:19:50 AM
The hard part about answering the poll is, the only ones I don't recommend are the ones I haven't heard, and every time I start to fill it out, I think, "I'd better check out ___ next," and then there's another one that I would vote for... and I'm quickly approaching 11 ;)

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 12:23:30 AM
Look for "Union Dues: The Ballad of Kitty Momoiro" to appear there soon.

I think you just got them EP's entire listenership with that ;)

goatkeeper

Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 01:02:11 AM
Hey- nice Drabbles bolddeciever- you should think about chuckin some of those at drabblecast!

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 11:08:16 AM
Classic Tales only gets a moderate recommendation from me. Some of the stories are dated, but most of them hold up pretty well and the production values are nice.

I highly recommend the Classic Tales podcast.  I think some of the stories being dated is partly the point.  I find it to be a wealth of classic literature.  As with EP, I don't like every story, but on the whole, I am well pleased.  I also find the production to be very good and consistant.

My other choices were Drabblecat and EP.  For some reason, I've stopped listening to to Psuedopod.  I guess it is because I enjoy the lighter horror stories and the plain spooky ones, but the macabre or bloody ones turn me off.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 11:53:24 AM
I highly recommend the Classic Tales podcast.  I think some of the stories being dated is partly the point.  I find it to be a wealth of classic literature.  As with EP, I don't like every story, but on the whole, I am well pleased.  I also find the production to be very good and consistant.

My other choices were Drabblecat and EP.  For some reason, I've stopped listening to to Psuedopod.  I guess it is because I enjoy the lighter horror stories and the plain spooky ones, but the macabre or bloody ones turn me off.

I am an avowed Classic Tales Podcast addict. I've even written a swoony letter to B.J. Harrison thanking him for the program. The Man Who Would be King, and Young Goodman Brown are my two favorites currently. But I love every story he's posted so far.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 05:48:24 AM
I used to subscribe to Well-told Tales and quite enjoyed most of them, but then I got a couple of months behind while I listened to a bunch of full-length audiobooks. Must go back and catch up.
Decoder Ring Theater does look interesting. I was listening to most of the hard-boiled old-time radio shows on archive.org until I discovered EP.

Just discovered "Air Out My Shorts". It's a hoot, and does not depend on the quality of their submissions.

Pseudopod ... well, I've determined that I'm not really a fan of Horror as a genre. Unless it's Stephen King, I'm not so interested. I did really like "Flat Dianne", but not many others, so I did not vote for it in this poll.

I do like the PP "... and I promise you it's true" intros.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

StankGunner

• Extern
Reply #39 on: April 01, 2008, 03:11:57 AM
I might recommend "The Moth Podcast".  They are monologues, not short stories, but they are quite entertaining.

goatkeeper

Reply #40 on: April 01, 2008, 05:22:35 AM
I wish I could revote and put in Well Told Tales- people should check it out- it's up there with all the main one's others have voted for.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #41 on: April 01, 2008, 05:47:56 PM
I wish I could revote and put in Well Told Tales- people should check it out- it's up there with all the main one's others have voted for.

I listened to one of those -- the one Rick Stringer narrated, and despite his reading, it just didn't do that much for me.  Maybe I'll try another story. 

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #42 on: April 06, 2008, 02:07:33 PM
I might recommend "The Moth Podcast".  They are monologues, not short stories, but they are quite entertaining.
Hey StankGunner,
First off, welcome to the forums.
Secondly, thanks for the great pod recommendations. I've just subscribed to The Moth Podcast, and Mr. Biggs. They sound... different. And that's a good thing.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

StankGunner

• Extern
Reply #43 on: April 06, 2008, 03:04:17 PM
Hey StankGunner,
First off, welcome to the forums.
Secondly, thanks for the great pod recommendations. I've just subscribed to The Moth Podcast, and Mr. Biggs. They sound... different. And that's a good thing.

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, Mr. Biggs is hard to explain but loads of fun.  and The Moth is apparently a NYC monologue series that puts some things out on podcast.  If you really like them you can get more from their website, both to stream and to purchase.

fuzzygnome

• Palmer
Reply #44 on: April 08, 2008, 05:43:17 AM
I'm new to podcasting, I just listen to Escapepod, Drabblecast, Pseudopod and now Podcastle.  I started Classic Tales and Variant Frequencies and couldn't get into them because of the readings... to me, the reading makes or breaks the story.  Escapepod usually has good readings but almost always has good stories- Drabblecast usually has good stories but always has good readings- I can't find other podcasts with consistancy in these areas, although I just got This American Life and I know that will be good. 
I also tried Darker Projects and haven't been able to get through most of what I started.

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
Reply #45 on: April 12, 2008, 12:33:02 AM
...but I did like the "Dreamland" series for its SFnal qualities.

I plan on getting back into the SF after Balticon--my current serial is a speculative fairy tale.  Also, I've done a few shorts along the way with strong SF elements.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #46 on: April 13, 2008, 01:17:09 AM
Quote from: goatkeeper link=topic=1322.msg23315#msg23315

you can absolutely change your votes.
there should be a remove vote option, hit that and then choose your new set of favourites.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #47 on: April 15, 2008, 03:58:24 AM
...but I did like the "Dreamland" series for its SFnal qualities.

I plan on getting back into the SF after Balticon--my current serial is a speculative fairy tale.  Also, I've done a few shorts along the way with strong SF elements.

I'm interested.  I still have all the files of your show, up through "Magical Clothing Episode 6" though I've only listened as far as show #9 ("Erin Goes Braless").  Is "Magical Clothing" the speculative fairy tale you mention?  I haven't deleted the files yet because something about that title grabbed me.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #48 on: April 23, 2008, 12:58:14 PM
Just popping back here to say that I listened to the first part of "Magical Clothing" last night.  Interesting ... a sort of sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes".  I'll keep listening; I'd like to see where this is going. :)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

AarrowOM

• Palmer
  • "We are fleeting creatures, we humans!" - S Baxter
    • Aaron Morris's Website
Reply #49 on: May 04, 2008, 03:44:43 AM
I haven't really been able to get into Darker Projects.

I also tried Darker Projects and haven't been able to get through most of what I started.

I guess I'm one of the few people here who like Darker Projects.  I'll admit that the differences between single-voice podcasts and multiple-voice podcasts (or audio theatre podcast) are substantial.  One of the problems I'm having with Darker Projects and now Broken Sea (which features a number of voice actors who started (to the best of my knowledge) at DP) is that I've begun to associate certain voices with certain parts.

Most that are profound would choose to narrate tales of living men with nouns like sorrow, verbs like lose, and action scenes, and love – but then there are now some, and brave they be, that speak of Lunar cities raised and silver spheres and purple seas, leaving us who listen dazed. -- Irena Foygel