Author Topic: PseudoPod 583: After the Party  (Read 3907 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: February 24, 2018, 08:48:21 PM
PseudoPod 583: After the Party

by Brandon Massey
Narrated by Dominick Rabrun
Hosted by Alasdair Stuart

Show Notes

“After the Party” was first published in Brandon’s collection Twisted Tales in 2006.

When Terry was halfway along the twisting, dark country road, he looked in his rearview mirror and saw a frightening sight: the flashing blue lights of a police cruiser.
“Damn, I don’t believe this,” he said. “He better not be coming for me.”
But at two thirty in the morning, his was the only vehicle on the desolate road. It was a pretty fair bet that the cop was coming for him, and him alone.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 06:07:31 PM
all I can say is HOLY FUCK this was badass. The dude's fate is like the opening kill pun of a comedic urban horror crime drama, but I can't help but envision his sword becoming real and him pwning all the vampires like the real Blade.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 09:58:49 PM
I thought it was good, but what I really wanted to see was the fight itself, so I was really disappointed when it ended where it did!

Onikaze

• Extern
Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 07:08:47 PM
I thought it was good, but what I really wanted to see was the fight itself, so I was really disappointed when it ended where it did!

I don't think it ends well for our protagonist...

“You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means.”
-Inigo Montoya

“When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."
-Humpty Dumpty \

JDuckworth

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 03:19:57 PM
Wanted to like this one, I think the setup is really interesting--racist cop pulls over a guy and is also secretly a vampire thrall. The moment of the reveal though was so cliched (how many times has a vampire/vampire thrall said "The Master will be X" in stories, films, and shows? It's the vampire equivalent of aliens saying "Take us to your leader!"). I did like the ending however, leaving the protag's fate unclear and leaving open that he might escape.

Languorous Lass

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 05:36:32 AM
Didn’t really care for the pacing or the language use in this one, but the setup and ending were good.