Author Topic: PseudoPod 695: Muse  (Read 1055 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: March 29, 2020, 01:31:09 AM
PseudoPod 695: Muse

Author: Sarah Gribble
Narrator: S. Kay Nash
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Chelsea Davis

“Muse” first appeared in Tales of Blood and Squalor in 2017

I noticed him on a Saturday morning. He was fingering tomato plants across the square, nodding every so often at whatever the stall operator was saying. His eyes crinkled when he smiled, but too much, like he’d read the cliché about smiles not meeting eyes too many times and decided to reverse the idea—his never quite reached his mouth.

He didn’t buy a tomato plant. I followed him the rest of the morning; he didn’t buy anything.

Whether or not I had been drinking that morning is of no importance. What is important is when I returned to my dilapidated two-bedroom ranch, I wrote more than I had in months.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Languorous Lass

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 04:52:41 AM
This story swung back and forth between horror and humor in a way I’m not sure was completely successful.   But I liked the setup—the 180-degree twist on Stephen King’s Misery, with the writer as perpetrator rather than victim.  And portraying “Calvin” as a less than completely sympathetic victim was a nice touch. 

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 06:44:11 PM
I was surprised by Muse. As in, I had to nope-nope-nope out of this episode.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. Oy.
 :o :o :o
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 05:49:57 PM by Scuba Man »

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.