Author Topic: EP143: Flaming Marshmallow and Other Deaths  (Read 73128 times)

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
Reply #50 on: February 06, 2008, 02:30:55 AM
I wonder how many people who didn't like this don't have kids.

Jhite

• Palmer
    • Great Hites
Reply #51 on: February 06, 2008, 02:32:28 AM
I for one am not one of those.  I have 7 so that is not the issue.

Captain James T. Kirk
I'm sorry I can't here you over the sound of how awesome I am
http://GreatHites.blogspot.com

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #52 on: February 06, 2008, 03:47:43 AM

Dang... I usually "wow" the room with my 4!  (And if I never hear the phrase "your hands must be full!" again, it'll be too soon!)

And I'm curious to see what my 11 year old thinks of this story, if she gets around to listening to it.  I'm sure everyone will be waiting for a tween POV. 

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

postazure

• Extern
Reply #53 on: February 06, 2008, 04:04:18 AM
The narrator, and I say narrator not reader, as the narrator was more a part of the story and less simply translating it from text to voice, this made the story for me.

I didn't particularly like this story as the plot was less technologically driven and more driven by society. This story stimulated thoughts of 1980's high school stereotypes and clicks. However the story itself was perfectly built up.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #54 on: February 06, 2008, 04:30:11 AM
I liked the story, have zero kids and intend to keep it that way.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

tpi

• Peltast
Reply #55 on: February 06, 2008, 07:40:53 AM

The only slight gripe I have is with the actual predicted cause of death: what on earth is 'millenium space atrofy' ???? I mean, I get what it meant in the context of the story, but what is it?

I agree with that. in fact, I logged here to ask what really was the cause of death. I listened that part several times, and I thought that I heard 'millenium space atrofy'. I was thinking that I must have misheard or misunderstood, because that CoD doesn't seem to make any sense.

tpi

• Peltast
Reply #56 on: February 06, 2008, 07:47:07 AM

I have to admit, i had my doubts about the whole "Machine of Death" concept when i first heard of the contest a year or so ago and wondered if it would produce any good stories. But after hearing that, i'll definitely be checking it out.

eh??  whatchyoo talkin bout willus?

We have a winner for the "Obscure Reference Award" for this thread.

What really scares me is that that reference is now considered obscure. :-\

Well Diff'rent Strokes was cancelled over 20 years ago

Hello, need some explaining here, would someone help?
As someone not living in US those references don't mean anything to me.
I know Different Strokes is a TV-series, but I have never seen a single episode of it. I think I have heard about it (was it about black or mixed race family or something?), but what "machine of death" concept and what it has to do with an old TV-series?

LPLFC1892

• Extern
Reply #57 on: February 06, 2008, 09:31:00 AM
Kia ora

Question:  "do kids really say "effing" or "what the ef?"  Not too many high schoolers I know do, they usually just say it.  I was okay with it once but when it happened three times, I thought it was funny.  Still, that's a pretty minor complaint "

Answer :  Unfortunately Yes they do !

I thought this was just another story until tonight, came out of the movies walked into the book/mag shop attached to the Mall and there was the latest WIRED magazine, with the headline articla being about individual DNA analysis perhaps being able to identify how we live and how we could die !

Dave A

Russell Nash

Reply #58 on: February 06, 2008, 10:16:21 AM
I have to admit, i had my doubts about the whole "Machine of Death" concept when i first heard of the contest a year or so ago and wondered if it would produce any good stories. But after hearing that, i'll definitely be checking it out.
eh??  whatchyoo talkin bout willus?
We have a winner for the "Obscure Reference Award" for this thread.
What really scares me is that that reference is now considered obscure. :-\
Well Diff'rent Strokes was cancelled over 20 years ago
Hello, need some explaining here, would someone help?
As someone not living in US those references don't mean anything to me.
I know Different Strokes is a TV-series, but I have never seen a single episode of it. I think I have heard about it (was it about black or mixed race family or something?), but what "machine of death" concept and what it has to do with an old TV-series?

Explanation:  Goatkeeper was saying that he didn't know about MoD and was asking for an explanation.  He did this by using a pop reference.

Quote from: Wikipedia
This sitcom starred Gary Coleman as Arnold Jackson and Todd Bridges as his older brother, Willis. They played two African-American children from a poor Harlem neighborhood whose deceased mother previously worked for a rich white widower, Philip Drummond (Conrad Bain), who eventually adopted them.

[snip]

As Arnold, Coleman popularized the catch phrase "Wha'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?" which was popular in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and is still mentioned in pop culture references today. The line was supposed to be "What are you talking about Willis" but on the script was spelled "Wha'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis"

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #59 on: February 06, 2008, 11:03:17 AM

Hello! Don't have kids, don't particularly want kids, only really like kids in small batches.

I don't think it's school stories I have a problem with, but more American school stories. I try to avoid anything set in school now, I stopped with 'Smallville' somewhere near the end of the first season partly because of that and partly because everyone was so stupid, the 'Claire at school' parts of 'Heroes' make me wince.

This story felt like a pretty good flash piece with a lot of filler to try and delay the joke ending as long as possible. Not one of my favourites.

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #60 on: February 06, 2008, 11:41:32 AM
I'm a little surprised that so much of the reaction to this one is so negative. I thought the relationship between the girl and her father was handled pretty well. It was sweet enough, but not such a sudden complete reversal that it rang false. I liked the appearance by a character who's family didn't buy in to the whole death-machine craze. It gave the story a little bit of context and hinted at a broader, more varied reaction to the technology. I didn't feel that it needed to go anywhere in terms of the resolution if it did an important job by adding some deeper texture.

Finally, one quick reply:
I didn't particularly like this story as the plot was less technologically driven and more driven by society.

I liked it for precisely the same reason.

The Word of Nash is the word of Nash and it is Nash's word.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #61 on: February 06, 2008, 06:05:26 PM

Dang... I usually "wow" the room with my 4!  (And if I never hear the phrase "your hands must be full!" again, it'll be too soon!)

And I'm curious to see what my 11 year old thinks of this story, if she gets around to listening to it.  I'm sure everyone will be waiting for a tween POV. 

Yes, but do you have a Kirk icon?  I think that makes the difference between 4 and 7 ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:08:59 PM by DKT »

Jhite

• Palmer
    • Great Hites
Reply #62 on: February 06, 2008, 06:21:08 PM
Just proof that I am insane.  TOS reference alert, there is no such this as a Vulcan death grip.

Captain James T. Kirk
I'm sorry I can't here you over the sound of how awesome I am
http://GreatHites.blogspot.com

Nobilis

• Peltast
Reply #63 on: February 06, 2008, 11:37:44 PM

The only slight gripe I have is with the actual predicted cause of death: what on earth is 'millenium space atrofy' ???? I mean, I get what it meant in the context of the story, but what is it?

I agree with that. in fact, I logged here to ask what really was the cause of death. I listened that part several times, and I thought that I heard 'millenium space atrofy'. I was thinking that I must have misheard or misunderstood, because that CoD doesn't seem to make any sense.

I thought it said "Millennium Space Entropy" which I think was supposed to refer to the heat death of the universe.

eytanz

Reply #64 on: February 06, 2008, 11:47:28 PM
But what does "millenium" have to do with the heat death of the universe? Esp. since the father was happy because "the millenium is a long time away" or something to that effect.

Has the technology involved in the death-predictors somehow drastically shortened the life of the universe to last only until the next millenium?

williamjamesw

• Palmer
Reply #65 on: February 06, 2008, 11:57:57 PM
It could be a limitation of the machine; it may only be able to process deaths in the next thousand years, and she might not have died yet for as far ahead as it can "see".  So even with the paper, she still doesn't know.

Just a thought.

I'll just go back to being silent again now.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #66 on: February 07, 2008, 12:47:54 PM
Wow.  That's an awful lot of comments.  That's what I get for being behind.

I liked the story.  Even though I went to high school last decade, I totally bought into the character, and this was a great character for Cutler to read.

I submitted to this anthology with a story called "BUS CRASH", but did not make it in, so it was interesting to see what the editors thought was more up their alley.

Sitting at the "proper" table at lunch is a big deal in HS, but at my school, you could go almost anywhere in the building.  Still, this story brought back memories of me trying to find the right place to sit.  I tried a lot of places -- the quiet bunch on the 2nd floor, the losers near the DECA room, the angsties behind the stage, even the back corner of the cafeteria with a couple of casual friends.  Never was quite happy in any of those locations.  Eh.  What're you going to do...

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Nobilis

• Peltast
Reply #67 on: February 08, 2008, 11:21:32 AM
But what does "millenium" have to do with the heat death of the universe? Esp. since the father was happy because "the millenium is a long time away" or something to that effect.

Has the technology involved in the death-predictors somehow drastically shortened the life of the universe to last only until the next millenium?

"Millennium" has more meanings than just "a thousand years". 

From the American Heritage Dictionary: "A hoped-for period of joy, serenity, prosperity, and justice."

Not that the machine is necessarily that poetic, but it may be something that the people who invented the machine put in to indicate a concept that modern points of view don't really quite understand.

I understood what it meant, even if I didn't think the particular combination of words was a great choice.

eytanz

Reply #68 on: February 08, 2008, 12:59:30 PM
I know that millenium has other meanings, but how does that fit in with the father's response, which seemed to indicate the millenium is a particular date?

Also, I don't see how any of those other meanings combine with "space atrophy" to make "heat death of the universe".

I agree it's possible this is a new idiom invented by that society, but in that case, I think it was a confusing thing to do, given that the rest of the piece was very contemporary and normal in its language.

Certainly, the point is that the narrator is going to live a very, very long time. As far as that goes, I think the story is perfectly clear. And that is really enough for it to work. But I think the actual phrase was confusing and, if indeed it is one of the more poetic uses of the word, somewhat out of tune with the rest of the story (which is just a nitpick, I should add, and I don't mean this as substantive criticism).

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #69 on: February 08, 2008, 02:06:41 PM
Suppose the machine had given a reading of death by "Millennium Hand and Shrimp"?  ;)

Nobilis

• Peltast
Reply #70 on: February 08, 2008, 05:18:11 PM
Suppose the machine had given a reading of death by "Millennium Hand and Shrimp"?  ;)

That's the internal error code for "Call Tech Support"

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #71 on: February 08, 2008, 08:38:34 PM

I thought those were "Out of Cheese" and "Redo From Start".

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Russell Nash

Reply #72 on: February 08, 2008, 09:40:40 PM

I'm reading that right now.

Quazar

• Extern
Reply #73 on: February 08, 2008, 11:06:05 PM
What if it was "millennium space entropy" and the reader mispronounced it? Either entropy or atrophy, I think we're talking about "she just couldn't be made to function anymore, not in spite of her old age but because there's just no order to be had in the universe anymore".

Clearly she'd sit with the post-humans  :)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #74 on: February 09, 2008, 12:58:23 AM

Divide by cucumber error.