Author Topic: EP143: Flaming Marshmallow and Other Deaths  (Read 73118 times)

darth_schmoo

• Extern
    • Banned Sorcery
Reply #100 on: February 23, 2008, 01:45:49 AM
This one didn't leave me with much to think about beyond, "How would the dad have reacted if the paper had said 'Entropic collapse caused by the heat death of the Universe?'"

That might have turned it into Chapter 1 of a far more interesting story.  As it was, it was light and fluffy and I mostly liked it.

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
Reply #101 on: February 24, 2008, 06:02:20 PM
You know, if you think about it, the people with "Old Age" and other ho-hum deaths are going to have the most exciting lives.

Imagine all the wonderful things you could do, knowing they won't kill you?  As usual, the high school kids aren't seeing past the surface.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #102 on: February 25, 2008, 02:19:58 AM
You know, if you think about it, the people with "Old Age" and other ho-hum deaths are going to have the most exciting lives.

Imagine all the wonderful things you could do, knowing they won't kill you?  As usual, the high school kids aren't seeing past the surface.
"Old age" can get you if you're a quadrapalegic or have a brain turned to oatmeal by chemical or other experimentation...

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Nobilis

• Peltast
Reply #103 on: February 25, 2008, 11:33:36 AM
And thus life is not without its risks...

jalan

• Extern
Reply #104 on: March 07, 2008, 06:32:04 AM
This was a fantastic story- I joined these forums just to say so.  Well done Escapepod!

Atara

• Extern
Reply #105 on: March 08, 2008, 05:33:22 PM
Great story. I really liked this one.

I heard "millenium space entropy" as well. I thought exactly the same thing the main character did - where was she going to sit? That really brought out how I felt all through high school. I was friends with all the "smart kids" in the advanced placement classes (and was with them for English class), but for science, math and history I was stuck in the "college prep" classes, which was one step down.

And, I wonder if it would be possible to lie about what's on your slip, or just mispresent it somehow. Would other people know? Was there a central database you could check?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 05:44:21 PM by Atara »

Nobilis

• Peltast
Reply #106 on: March 11, 2008, 12:16:48 AM
Wow, exactly...

"No, I can't show you... my mom started crying and tore it up and flushed it down the toilet... She wants to forget it ever happened.  Don't tell her I told you, but I got a look before she tore it up.  It said 'Knifed by a cyborg terrorist in a botched hostage rescue.'   No, I don't know whether I'm one of the cyborg terrorists or not... heck, could be a hostage... never know.  But I'm definitely one of the sharpies."

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #107 on: March 12, 2008, 04:24:09 PM
Huh... that makes me wonder.
We heard about the kid who dies by flaming marshmellow but trumps it up as a burner. What about deaths that go the other way, like suffocation, as in suffocated under 30 tons of rock having just saved a school bus full of children, nuns, and the next Buddha with your super speed.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #108 on: March 12, 2008, 04:34:06 PM
This story sort of reminded me of an episode of The Man Show where you could hire people to come kill you in creative ways instead of dying in your sleep or slowly wasting away.  The only two I can remember are "Mob Hit" and "Assassination by Ninja".  That could make one of the old age kids become someone who was murdered.  Instant popularity boost!

This is on a similar topic, but slightly different.  I told my wife that after I die I want her to feed my body into a woodchipper pointed at the doctor's house that couldn't save me.  She said she wouldn't do it.  Bummer.   :-[

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #109 on: March 12, 2008, 07:17:10 PM

This is on a similar topic, but slightly different.  I told my wife that after I die I want her to feed my body into a woodchipper pointed at the doctor's house that couldn't save me.  She said she wouldn't do it.  Bummer.   :-[

You must have a good friend that can pull this off for you. That would be cool.  The side of the doc's house would be coated with blood and tissue matter.  His/her dogs would be out there lapping up whatever they could.  An interesting thread would be: how is your body going to be disposed after your death?  Are most people still going to be put in a cement vault and buried in a casket? 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #110 on: March 12, 2008, 07:27:41 PM
His/her dogs would be out there lapping up whatever they could. 

I was thinking about him having to pick my teeth out of his front door too.  Heh.  That would be a funny/gruesome sight.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #111 on: March 13, 2008, 02:27:38 AM

I was thinking about him having to pick my teeth out of his front door too.  Heh.  That would be a funny/gruesome sight.

Hey, write it down, combined with your zombie thread, and you've got a Pseudopod tale in the hopper!

"I'm bit," said Dave, horrified.  We knew what that meant - 30 minutes and he'd be one the them, trying to get at our brains.  He looked at us, looked at the woodchipper, and then sighed.  "Guess I know what we gotta do."

[exposition....blah blah blah...]

...and the zombie onslaught began to disintigrate under a steady spray of Dave.

(You can contribute my share of the story sale back to Escape Artists.  ;)  )

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #112 on: March 13, 2008, 10:30:35 AM

Hey, write it down, combined with your zombie thread, and you've got a Pseudopod tale in the hopper!

"I'm bit," said Dave, horrified.  We knew what that meant - 30 minutes and he'd be one the them, trying to get at our brains.  He looked at us, looked at the woodchipper, and then sighed.  "Guess I know what we gotta do."

[exposition....blah blah blah...]

...and the zombie onslaught began to disintigrate under a steady spray of Dave.

(You can contribute my share of the story sale back to Escape Artists.  ;)  )

:D Damn, if only I could put together an intelligible sentence!  Anyone who would like to use my wood chipper idea - feel free.  Just don't use it on my house.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #113 on: March 13, 2008, 12:53:53 PM

:D You said "in the hopper"  :D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Vitesse

Reply #114 on: March 22, 2008, 06:55:50 PM
I really like this story.  Being 18, I can certainly relate to a lot of it.  Most high schools will have some sort of status symbol, whether is be the car you drive,the sports you play, the clothes you wear, or in this case your cause of death.  The narration was great, albeit very annoying, and it  sounded like a lot of the people in my school.  My only gripes would be the lack of the word "like."  and the use of effing. "Like" has to be by far the most frequently used word by teenagers, even more then "I." As for "effing" I don't know anyone who consistently uses that word; Teenagers just say fuck. 

On a side note, I think she's a burner.  If Mr. Popular can call his death by flaming marshmallow a "burner"
then the protagonist can certainly  call her self a burner. 

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #115 on: March 22, 2008, 07:04:52 PM
I really like this story.  Being 18, I can certainly relate to a lot of it.  Most high schools will have some sort of status symbol, whether is be the car you drive,the sports you play, the clothes you wear, or in this case your cause of death.  The narration was great, albeit very annoying, and it  sounded like a lot of the people in my school.  My only gripes would be the lack of the word "like."  and the use of effing. "Like" has to be by far the most frequently used word by teenagers, even more then "I." As for "effing" I don't know anyone who consistently uses that word; Teenagers just say fuck. 

On a side note, I think she's a burner.  If Mr. Popular can call his death by flaming marshmallow a "burner"
then the protagonist can certainly  call her self a burner. 

That's like, y'know, so totally effing dead-on!  (About calling herself a burner, that is.)

I'm kind of glad they didn't overdo the "like", though.  I hear enough of that when I'm around my daughter's friends.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #116 on: March 26, 2008, 02:22:51 PM
An interesting thread would be: how is your body going to be disposed after your death?  Are most people still going to be put in a cement vault and buried in a casket?

I plan to be eaten by my friends and relatives. Not necessarily all of me, but a symbolic amount, say a sandwich each. Maybe a cup of stew.

Anything left over should be given over to medical research, or if they don't want it, stuffed in a bin-bag and dumped in a landfill somewhere.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #117 on: March 27, 2008, 02:07:57 AM
An interesting thread would be: how is your body going to be disposed after your death?  Are most people still going to be put in a cement vault and buried in a casket?

I plan to be eaten by my friends and relatives. Not necessarily all of me, but a symbolic amount, say a sandwich each. Maybe a cup of stew.

Anything left over should be given over to medical research, or if they don't want it, stuffed in a bin-bag and dumped in a landfill somewhere.

"Sorry, I only consume organic dead friends & family members..."

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #118 on: March 27, 2008, 04:18:40 PM
You are Valentine Michael Smith and I claim my ten bucks  ;D

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #119 on: March 27, 2008, 04:32:22 PM

I actually planned on this before reading Stranger in a Strange Land*. Mythologically, it's not such a new idea.

*Though I do love that book. The only bad thing about it is that it lead me reading The Cat Who Walked Through Walls.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #120 on: March 27, 2008, 05:31:23 PM

I actually planned on this before reading Stranger in a Strange Land*. Mythologically, it's not such a new idea.

*Though I do love that book. The only bad thing about it is that it lead me reading The Cat Who Walked Through Walls.
THANK you! That was the other Heinlen book I read... i couldn't think of it... now if I could only find that post where I was trying to remember it.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #121 on: March 31, 2008, 03:02:16 PM

Cat was probably the beginning of the end for Heinlein.  Or maybe it was the last section of The Number of the Beast.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #122 on: April 01, 2008, 12:30:57 AM

Cat was probably the beginning of the end for Heinlein.  Or maybe it was the last section of The Number of the Beast.

While I agree Number was an irredeemable clunker, he did manage to recover and produce Friday and Job after that.  I didn't think much of Cat and never did read To Sail Beyond Sunset.  I take it that it wasn't good....

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #123 on: April 25, 2008, 07:45:51 PM
So, I was going through the archives of Dinosaur Comics, when I came across this little gem from December '05:

Guess we know where the idea for the death machines came from, now. A Canadian talking T-rex.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #124 on: May 01, 2008, 07:34:24 PM
I've never heard of this comic... it's pretty hilarious!