Author Topic: PseudoPod 698: Of Marrow and Abomination  (Read 1525 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: April 13, 2020, 04:25:18 PM
PseudoPod 698: Of Marrow and Abomination

Author: Morgan Sylvia
Narrator: Justine Eyre
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Marty Perrett

PseudoPod 698: Of Marrow and Abomination is a PseudoPod original.

Show Notes

I am very young when I first dream of the ruined barn.

The barn is nothing more than a burnt-out husk in the northern woods. It stands alone in an overgrown meadow, a blackened shell of rotted shingles and charred, cracked timbers, its weathered grey boards standing in stark contrast to the golden hayfields around it. The northeast is peppered with such ruins. Built by hand, not machine, the old barns are silent, forgotten monuments of a lost age, one where horses, not cars, carried men through the thick, tangled woods, and where woodstoves rather than furnaces kept away the biting winter cold.

It was initially repurposed as a numbers station, a clandestine radio station that broadcasts coded messages to spies via short-wave radio transmissions. Later, it became something else. A black site, of sorts. By then, the Cold War had ended, and we had clawed our way greedily into the information age.

I wonder now if they understood what they were doing, those Cold War doctors with their shiny shoes and thick glasses and slicked-back hair. They chose this spot, no doubt, because it was both isolated and unremarkable. They wanted the space and freedom to explore their madnesses, their alchemy, far away from prying eyes, in a place where only beasts and forgotten ghosts could see. I wonder if it ever occurred to them that the abominations created here would never be contained. They saw themselves, no doubt, as pioneers, inventors. In truth, they were sorcerers as much as scientists, heirs to Crowley and Agathodaemon as much as to Newton and Einstein and Hawking.

They are dead now. The darklings gnaw on their skeletons.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions and the corpses of men like them.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Listen to this week's PseudoPod (Narration Only).
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

irishlazz

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 04:40:00 PM
Wow.
I listened to both the plain narration and the "mood-music" version and I must say the soundtrack adds IMMENSELY to the creepy factor.  Its already good on its own, but soundtrack is a huge part of the "feels" in any movie, so naturally it would be the same with audio stories.   
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Side note to ALL of EA productions & persons (so please pass this around) - lots of love and appreciation to you for all you do.  I wish I had more time to sit and write a bit in the forums about every episode I listen to, as they all deserve some fine comments.  You have long kept me company on my long commute as I trek to and from work that can't be done from home.  Now you also take my mind off the horrors of the daily news and the worries caused by some of the idiots currently running the world governments.  May each of you be safe and healthy, successfully avoiding this virus wreaking so much havoc around us.  And again, thank you.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." A.Einstein

adrianh

• Hipparch
    • quietstars
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 05:32:34 PM
That was hella good. Bravo all.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 09:01:40 PM
Thanks for the words on the soundbed, glad you both liked the story

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 12:28:43 AM
This episode (with the background sound theme) could have been picked out of a SANDMAN or HELLBLAZER comic book episode (of the Darkhorse variety). Well done!

...and yes, Call of Duty - Black Ops (the main campaign).  :o
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 12:33:54 AM by Scuba Man »

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.