Author Topic: Attack of the Film Poll XVIII  (Read 16361 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: February 06, 2008, 10:12:21 PM
Well, Empire Strikes Back got past all comers last week quite handily, for it's forth victory in a row!  ESB is now the first film to go undefeated into the winner's circle, where eventually it will face off against all the other films that have won in this poll for a final showdown.  Eventually.  There are still quite a few films left in the hat - and this week we've picked out five totally new ones. 

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 11:01:13 PM
GASP!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 11:42:25 PM
Easy choice for me.  Aliens.   

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 12:44:12 AM
Tough call for me... I really liked Psycho, and American Beauty.  But I fear that, for them, it is...

"GAME OVER, MAN!  GAME OVER!

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 12:48:57 AM
I do wonder how many folks would have voted for ESB if it had still been on the list.  Aliens seems like good competition for it...

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 02:18:32 AM
I'm guessing this is the original Psycho?

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 05:26:47 AM
I'm guessing this is the original Psycho?

Goes without saying.

eytanz

Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 06:53:22 AM
Tough one for me, because (shameful secret) I have never seen "aliens". I ended up choosing "dark crystal" over "american beauty", but I think that might have been influenced by the fact that I have a big soft spot for Jim Henson movies.

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 08:09:51 AM
I had to go with American Beauty.  I'm a wannabe photographer and every shot in that movie is just art.  The story is good too.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 08:12:58 AM
Aliens aliens aliens

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 02:49:12 PM
Aliens again, fantastic movie.

Although given the movie's lousy reputation, I do feel obligated to say I thought Transformers was great:) 

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 12:48:53 PM
Aliens for me, narrowly over American Beauty.  AB was a truly great film about life in the American 'burbs, and what it's like to realize you're getting "old," but Aliens was, and still is, just amazing.  It was the first film I ever watched in surround sound.  Totaly blew me away, and it wasn't even the first time I'd seen it.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 02:28:38 AM
I recently watched "Transformers" and it was all about the nostalgia.  I had to vote for it even though I knew it was going to lose to Aliens, which was a close second.  I really don't think Transformers has the staying power of Aliens, but I really enjoyed it.  It made me want to go play with all my old toys, including the fully Voltron set I have in my basement.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 04:54:47 AM
I'm with Nash on this one ... American Beauty.  I've already stated my POV about Aliens in the last thread, haven't seen The Dark Crystal since I was a wee sprog, and haven't seen the other two at all.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 07:52:36 AM
Wow, I voted for a movie that looks like it might win! My vote wasn't wasted!

Now I know how voters in the US must feel after their team gets up.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 02:21:19 PM
Wow, I voted for a movie that looks like it might win! My vote wasn't wasted!

Now I know how voters in the US must feel after their team gets up.

Well, Eff that... I've backed the underdog in every other vote... and I'm feeling just surly and grouchy enough to change my vote.   >:(

Ron Paul... er, I mean American Beauty it is!

EDIT: Dammit... I can't change my vote.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 02:23:07 PM by Tango Alpha Delta »

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 11:46:51 PM
Transformers was a fun movie with awesome effects, but I was too old when the toys and cartoon came out, so I missed the whole nostalgia thing. 

American Beauty annoys the crap out of me. 

Never saw Dark Crystal.  I can't get a grasp on whether or not this is a cult classic.  I think I remember it not doing well, even among fans, when it came out.  I think I have seen zero pop culture references to it, unlike all the other movies on this list.  (then again, i never saw it)

I love Psycho very much.  I had the rare treat of seeing a screening in a real theater with my wife who knew absolutely nothing about it.  Didn't even know The Twist.  (She's Japanese, not hopelessly ignorant). 

But I had to admit that if I had one DVD in each hand, I would go for Aliens.  Even the alienless first half is great.  Even the spunky, precocious kid is great. 

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 12:56:53 AM
Dark Crystal is well loved by many.  In fact, when I ran this poll for my friends, it won handily.

Of course, my friends are a bunch of muppet loving dorks.  But so it goes. 

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 06:43:01 PM
You know, I'm thinking the next "Muppets" themed movie should be Muppets vs. Aliens.  Miss Piggy, of course, would be Ripley.  Kermit could be Hicks.  Gonzo or Fozzie could be Hudson, but Animal might've been born to play that role.  Yeah, that would be so awesome. 

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 09:15:43 PM
Dark Crystal. Haven't seen Aliens, Transformers, or Psycho. American Beauty was excellent and I love the actors in it, but the Dark Crystal is just too awesome. My girlfriend introduced me to it and frequently impersonates Fizzgigg—and after we showed it to my roommate, we have two Fizzgiggs in the family.

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 09:55:52 PM
Dark Crystal. Haven't seen Aliens, Transformers, or Psycho. American Beauty was excellent and I love the actors in it, but the Dark Crystal is just too awesome. My girlfriend introduced me to it and frequently impersonates Fizzgigg—and after we showed it to my roommate, we have two Fizzgiggs in the family.

Okay, I don't say this kind of thing often, but you simply *must* see both Aliens and Psycho (the original Hitchcock - can't speak for the remake).  Of course, to see AlienS you must first see Alien.  Alien and Psycho are two films that managed to scare the bejeebers out of me... and Aliens is that rarest of very rare things: a really good sequel.

Though, to be honest, I don't think I ever saw Dark Crystal.  Time to surf over to NetFlix...

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 10:58:40 PM
Though, to be honest, I don't think I ever saw Dark Crystal.  Time to surf over to NetFlix...

Gah!  Don't waste your time.  Honestly.

I remembered it as a warm, insightful children's fantasy, maybe a bit cheesy, but put aside the adult skepticism, disengage the cliche detectors, fire up the soppiness shields and you could enjoy it like The Iron Giant or The Princess Bride or The Neverending Story.

It's not like that at all.  It's just rubbish.

Does anybody in the UK want a DVD of The Dark Crystal?  I'll pay postage.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 11:48:10 PM
The Princess Bride was funny.

would The Dark Crystal be worth it to download illegally then delete after watching? :D

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 04:26:38 AM

I remembered it as a warm, insightful children's fantasy, maybe a bit cheesy, but put aside the adult skepticism, disengage the cliche detectors, fire up the soppiness shields and you could enjoy it like The Iron Giant or The Princess Bride or The Neverending Story.

I'm probably one of the few that has to agree with you on the Dark Crystal.  Its the only movie I don't like on that list.   My wife loves it so its on here once in a while.  The whole muppet deal does nothing for me.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 11:13:14 AM

I'm probably one of the few that has to agree with you on the Dark Crystal.  Its the only movie I don't like on that list.   My wife loves it so its on here once in a while.  The whole muppet deal does nothing for me.

Hmmm... caution noted.  I did really like Iron Giant, though (I'm a sucker for the theme of "personal choice vs. predetermined nature" and I loved the way they handled that); and Princess Bride is a big favorite in our house.  I remember Neverending Story fondly, but I was maybe 8 when I saw it, so I doubt it would have the same effect now.  My wife has forbidden that one on the ground that the Rock Biter scared the piss out of her when she was little, and she doesn't want to deal with our little ones' nightmares.

As far as muppets go... well, maybe we need a separate thread just for them.