Author Topic: EP144: Friction  (Read 55197 times)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #75 on: March 01, 2008, 04:27:50 AM
Great story overall. My wife and I really enjoyed it and found it very heart-warming. I deal day in and day out with teaching stubborn people that remind me of Gruen. Concentrating on a single task without ever wondering if there is a beter way or a more meaningful way. >:( Today I had to teach a 30 year old man to use the internet!

My deepest sympathies... I'm not a great teacher, but have been finding myself having to get some very new folks "up to speed" lately.  I tell them what I think of as "the basics", and then they ask me something like, "What's an IP address?"  Then I sigh, and dial it back a notch...

The worst was way back when I was still in the service and had to train my new supervisor (awkward enough situation) to use a SUN desktop.  For some reason I couldn't fathom, she wouldn't minimize windows on her screen.  To get to the desktop, she would move them off the screen... and the software we were using would then be stuck off where we couldn't reach it with the mouse, so we would have to reboot the machine to get the windows to reset where we could reach them (I know... I didn't design it).  I found out later from someone else that after I left for the day (telling her once again "you need to make those into icons so you can find them again, instead of moving them offscreen") she confided that she didn't think I was a very good teacher because of all my "religious jokes".

Turns out she was a devout Catholic, and thought I was making some kind of crack about THOSE icons... once we told her to make them "little pictures" she got it.   But part of me died of frustration that day....

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

gfplux

• Extern
Reply #76 on: March 01, 2008, 03:14:40 PM
great great story

KMITA

• Extern
Reply #77 on: March 02, 2008, 01:21:48 AM
Thanks, Tango Alpha Delta.
I too was in the service and had to deal with a similar circumstance. A Major kept changing the font the same color as the background in Excel. After 2 years of this and on my last day in the service I changed his spell check to replace common words with very colorful expletives! ;D Sometimes revenge can be very sweet indeed.
Now I live in southern Mississippi and I am amazed at the level of technological ignorance. :'(

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #78 on: March 07, 2008, 01:23:34 PM
I'm a little late to the party.  I'm working on getting caught up with my EP listening.

As far as the pooping goes, the law of conservation of mass says that the mass eaten has to go somewhere.  In humans there are three options: carbon dixoide (respiration); liquid excrement through sweat, moisture in breath, or urine; and solid excrement through poop.  I suppose it's not unreasonable at all that their metaboilsm is different from ours and they could shed the mass in different ratios (even not pooping).

As far as the wear/friction goes, I pictured their bodies as being a sort of exoskeleton.  Sort of the same material as horn.  Horn still has some circulation and nerves in it.  Maybe they evolved from insects?  He made reference to his fleshy insides being eaten at the end of the story, so they aren't all hard outer shell.

I had to question how a slime trail would stick around in a desert of blowing sand.  I would think the slime would either be covered up by fresh sand or blown away by the winds.  Sort of strange to me.

Also, why don't they protect their most vulnerable areas with some sort of lubricated padding?  I realize it would be tough to keep sand from getting in an oiled joint protecting their feet,  but come on.  If their life depended on it you would think they would find a way.

I also have the same question about their race being so dense about the red sand being pieces of themselves.  It's not a huge leap.  The only explanation I could come up with is that this is not a terribly advanced culture.  I'm thinking maybe the days of the Roman republic.  They're starting to ask some deep questions, but don't really have any answers yet.

Overall I thought the story was great.  The questions are minor hiccups in an otherwise great story.  I had a lot of empathy for both of the main characters.  I felt a real emotional connection and it was well executed.  One of my favorites.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Roocats

• Extern
Reply #79 on: March 23, 2008, 02:59:26 AM
I walked around hollow for a couple days after listening and couldn't put my finger on it.  It struck a chord.  Got me thinking about life and death.  It is a perfect example of a designed life, a person with set goals that is focused.  Every action Guren took or better yet did not take had to do with his sole goal.  That three fingered dude was committed.  The timing of the story condenses what life is and will be like for each of us.  We live, we die and for most we will get a chance to contemplate our life and look back at it before we die if even for a split second.  Will we be proud of what we look back on or will say "boy did I waste my time and energy on some real unimportant stuff".  Guren was able to say at the end that he met his goal.  And he seemed to be at peace with himself throughout.  To say what is important about life is up to each of us as I have yet to see the answer sheet posted anywhere.  If you can be committed and just before you tip over, you get the answer - that's pretty good as more than a few I suspect feel they did not live a full life and go out with questions.

I didn't get caught up on the details of the aliens or the world or where the poop went.  They don't in other stories or movies so who cares.  I assumed it was a metaphor for us anyway.  Somebody mentioned that Guren took time out to help the other alien.  No way.  He did that for his own benefit which happened to benefit the other alien.  That's free market.  That's what makes the world go round.  Now where did my slippers go?  I'm not moving off of this cushioned chair without them...

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #80 on: March 31, 2008, 12:21:14 AM
I took this story as a critique of the difficulties of being an academic.
As I understand it, it's hard to justify to friends, relations, and strangers why you "still haven't graduated?"
The material sacrifices on has to make (signified by freedom of movement) in order to dedicate oneself to higher learning can be quite restrictive, and the higher you go the closer your focus must be to the task at hand. In the end the new Master finds that his dedication to higher learning has, in fact, yielded an amazing perspective on the world, though not directly from his studies.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

cuddlebug

• Peltast
Reply #81 on: April 28, 2008, 08:37:35 PM
I know I am REALLY late to add my praises, but I wanted to mention that this was the very first EP episode I listened to and I was hooked at once… a good start to an addiction I won’t have to go into rehab for, right?

It is one of those rare gems that left me with tears in my eyes but a smile on my face at the same time. One could almost say it felt as if the story held up a mirror showing you all that has gone wrong in your life, making you reassess your priorities and it certainly made me realize that I have to rethink my ‘work-life-balance’, that I have neglected personal relationships, etc. etc. …

And yes, an academic life means one has to make sacrifices, but (Dr) Faust(us) (- one of my  favourite fantasy characters of all time -) did get all the wisdom he desired (and more) by selling his soul to Mephistopheles, but it did not really do him any good in the end. (depending on the version you choose ro read/watch). So sacrificing certain things to fulfil a purpose/ambition in life can be justified and result in a very satisfying life (see Gruen), but …

A great story, very sad and emotional and strangely uplifting at the same time.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #82 on: April 29, 2008, 02:39:35 AM
I know I am REALLY late to add my praises, but I wanted to mention that this was the very first EP episode I listened to and I was hooked at once… a good start to an addiction I won’t have to go into rehab for, right?

Ha, ha!  Don't rule out the rehab just yet... when you realize there are 143 episodes BEFORE that one, the addiction *really* sets in... and the dog starts to get used to walks that are timed to end with the Daikaiju outro.  ;)

cuddlebug

• Peltast
Reply #83 on: April 29, 2008, 01:03:37 PM

Ha, ha!  Don't rule out the rehab just yet... when you realize there are 143 episodes BEFORE that one, the addiction *really* sets in... and the dog starts to get used to walks that are timed to end with the Daikaiju outro.  ;)

Oh, don't I know it. I find myself walking faster or end up strolling depending on the length of the story and how it fits in with the time I need to get from one place to the other. Sad huh? So by that logic I get a better workout if the story is short and I don't want it to end before I get to work/home/x javascript:void(0);

So maybe we do need a self-help group "Escape Artists Addicts Anonymous" - EAAA?

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #84 on: May 01, 2008, 11:46:58 AM

Oh, don't I know it. I find myself walking faster or end up strolling depending on the length of the story and how it fits in with the time I need to get from one place to the other. Sad huh? So by that logic I get a better workout if the story is short and I don't want it to end before I get to work/home/x javascript:void(0);

So maybe we do need a self-help group "Escape Artists Addicts Anonymous" - EAAA?

Maybe... after I lose a few more pounds... and get caught up on about 60 more episodes... then I'll gladly join Escape Artists' Addicts Aren't Actually Anonymous As An Avatar Ain't Actually Anonymizing Anyway (EAAAAAAAAAAAA)

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #85 on: May 01, 2008, 12:32:23 PM
Maybe... after I lose a few more pounds... and get caught up on about 60 more episodes... then I'll gladly join Escape Artists' Addicts Aren't Actually Anonymous As An Avatar Ain't Actually Anonymizing Anyway (EAAAAAAAAAAAA)

Maybe "Pseudonymous Escape Artist Rehab" (PEAR) might be better?

Science means that not all dreams can come true

cuddlebug

• Peltast
Reply #86 on: May 01, 2008, 02:28:39 PM
That just made me think of some kind of resort type group vacation.  :D

Oh, how cool would that be, we would have discussion groups on various subjects, strategic planning for all kinds of emergency situations (an invasion of alien robotic life forms, spontaneous mutations in crustaceans, etc.)

Or we could have a workshop on creating geek costumes and one on designing perfect avatars or we could build robots, oh I am getting all excited here.

Not sure that would really be valid as a form of rehab, we would probably be locked up for suspicious group activities involving dangerous chemical substances or something.

Or discussions get so heated, that people end up hurting each other. We don't want that now, do we?

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #87 on: May 02, 2008, 02:17:38 AM
That just made me think of some kind of resort type group vacation.  :D

Oh, how cool would that be, we would have discussion groups on various subjects, strategic planning for all kinds of emergency situations (an invasion of alien robotic life forms, spontaneous mutations in crustaceans, etc.)

Or we could have a workshop on creating geek costumes and one on designing perfect avatars or we could build robots, oh I am getting all excited here.

Not sure that would really be valid as a form of rehab, we would probably be locked up for suspicious group activities involving dangerous chemical substances or something.

Or discussions get so heated, that people end up hurting each other. We don't want that now, do we?

Hurting each other?  We don't even get wound up enough for a good ol' fashioned flame war very often, let alone actual violence!   (That's not a complaint; as one of the annoying people with all the stupid puns, I'm grateful to be in a such a tolerant, intelligent, and well-mannered group of people.  ;D )

Original Digga

• Extern
Reply #88 on: May 03, 2008, 12:41:30 AM
I thought that this story was quite prolific.  I've always been interested in life-spans, and it seems to me that generally they're tied to reproduction rates. Specifically, the rate of reproduction is inversely proportional to the lifespan.

In this case we have a race that seems to live forever, or at least until their bodies wear out... and thus they are so careful to limit the "friction".  But obviously they did reproduce.  Given the link with their native soil (or sand), maybe they are Phoenix.

Quite a deep and spiritual story, one of my favorite so far.

Salutations

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #89 on: May 03, 2008, 03:03:21 AM
O.D. makes an interesting observation... and since we covered all the other bodily functions, I'm surprised no one else mentioned the friction necessary to reproduction.  (Not really trying to be naughty, but it begs the inevitable images....)

protopodorg

• Extern
    • protopod.org
Reply #90 on: May 03, 2008, 03:12:44 AM
Awesome story. Just enough of the people are described to allow humans to empathize - and just enough information is withheld to allow my imagination to kick in and fill in the details.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #91 on: May 03, 2008, 01:38:33 PM
O.D. makes an interesting observation... and since we covered all the other bodily functions, I'm surprised no one else mentioned the friction necessary to reproduction.  (Not really trying to be naughty, but it begs the inevitable images....)
KY Jelly no doubt sells very well.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

eytanz

Reply #92 on: May 03, 2008, 02:01:10 PM

I thought the encounter with the "movers", and also the fact that most of the pligrims feeding the scholars seemed content to move around, showed that it's not everyone in the race that is so concerned about friction. I'm assuming the scholars are celibate but, just like celibate priests/monks in our world, their parents were not.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #93 on: May 03, 2008, 10:17:09 PM
KY Jelly no doubt sells very well.

Or WD-40...

spoogle

• Extern
Reply #94 on: May 04, 2008, 06:39:02 PM
I thought this was a beautiful story. The pace of the story was matched by the pace of the writing. I think that is part of its essence.

lieffeil

• Palmer
    • spring forward, fall back
Reply #95 on: June 05, 2008, 02:22:13 AM
Wonderfully deceptively simple. Like a fable, but with a million different layers woven in.
My favorite so far.

...you've got three metric seconds.

scottjanssens

• Palmer
Reply #96 on: June 10, 2008, 04:25:21 PM
A brilliant story, masterfully executed.

R.Z.I

• Extern
  • "The Dude Abides"
Reply #97 on: June 19, 2008, 11:38:37 PM
This was a great story.
I just started listening to Escape Pod and the only reason I came across this story from Febuary so soon is because the author, Will McIntosh, is a friend of my father, and my dad told me to see if he has a story on the site.  Out of the ten or so Esacpe Pod episodes I've listened to so far this is far and away the best.
It has a tangible mystical quality.  It reminds me of a Buhhdist sutra or a Sufi story.
The author's word usage was spot on; nothing akward or extra.
This story would also make a awesome animated short in the right persons hands.
Would love to see some more of Prof. McIntosh's work on Escape Pod.
~Robert

Ersatz Coffee

• Extern
Reply #98 on: June 25, 2008, 01:36:30 PM
I think this is my favourite story so far - and very different to the only other McIntosh story I've read.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #99 on: July 20, 2008, 01:26:37 AM
what is the thing called where they assign a numerical value to the various pros and cons of the situation and if it comes out to be positive or negative etc

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over