Author Topic: Pseudopod 76: Tales of the White Street Society  (Read 19693 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: February 08, 2008, 10:43:45 PM
Pseudopod 76: Tales of the White Street Society

By Grady Hendrix

Read by Alasdair Stuart

A creak of the flooring caught my attention and I turned sharply, expecting to find my guide creeping up behind me with a jackblack in her hand and murder in her Irish eyes. Instead, I beheld a waif with a waxen pallor, protruding bones and papery skin, crouching just inside the doorway. Her furtive creeping was arrested when she saw me. Rising up to her full height she fixed her watery eyes on me and said:

“Harry don’t like you.”

Just as I was about to strike her for her insolence, her face slackened and she swooned. I stepped forward to catch her, then noticed spittle running from her mouth, and stepped back so as to avoid soiling my clothes.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

goatkeeper

Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 01:52:53 AM
Meh, story didn't do much for me.  It's just not possible to pull off a scary leprechaun story, sorry.  I'm more interested to see if anyone else thought this story was excessively racist.

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 06:53:32 AM
Meh, story didn't do much for me.  It's just not possible to pull off a scary leprechaun story, sorry.  I'm more interested to see if anyone else thought this story was excessively racist.

I got the opposite -- I felt like it did a great job of lampooning a highly racist unreliable narrator.

goatkeeper

Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 02:43:54 PM
See, I couldn't tell if the story was taking itself serious or not.  If it wasn't, then I see your point.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 09:12:21 PM
I wasn't sure if it was tongue-in-cheek until he addressed the 'hag' as "Oh, Hag?".  Cracked me up.  I think this story takes a great poke at the victorian horror style (which I happen to enjoy very much).

goatkeeper

Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 02:36:05 AM
I thought he said "old hag"- I listened again, maybe it was the reading, I still can't tell if its lampooning or not.

bolddeceiver

• Matross
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 07:34:22 AM
Come on, the offhanded comments about "So I shot him again" and all?  I really can't imagine this being anything but satire.

Bump In The @

• Extern
  • That Which Abides
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 09:12:55 AM
This story was brilliant. That's really all I can say about it. Reminded me of playing Call of Cthulhu with some of my more... colorful friends.

What I took away from this story was, well, how much nicer it would have been to live in the 1800's. I mean, who hasn't wanted to shoot someone and then throw money at them to make it better while mumbling racist epithets?

Take your cautionary tales, and take your incremental gains, and all your sycophantic games... And throw 'em all away.
Burn your TV in your yard. Gather 'round it with your friends. Warm your hands upon the fire and start again.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 12:58:55 PM
You're right, it's "Old Hag".  This was really hilarious.
I have a collection of short stories somewhere called "The Lovecraft Diaries."  I can't even remember who wrote it, but the (very) short book is split between "Lovecraftian" adventures, starring Lovecraft himself, and stories written in the Wodehouse style.  In particular, I remember "Scream for Jeeves," which totally panned the incompenant foppery of the "Victorian Gentleman as Metaphysical Adventurer" angle.  Great read, if you can find it.

eytanz

Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 01:26:08 PM
See, I couldn't tell if the story was taking itself serious or not.  If it wasn't, then I see your point.

I don't think there's any way this story could be taking itself seriously. There were too many parts that looked right out of a Monty Python sketch - the nonchalant shootings and people's reactions to them, the part in the beginning where he lists the lucky charms the doctor was missing, adding a new one whenever an objection was raised, and so forth.

I'm not entirely sure the story was fully successful at what it was trying to do, but I am sure it had its tongue firmly in cheek the entire time.

Jonas

• Extern
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 06:43:47 AM
A houseful of Irish immigrants beplagued by an invisible perverted bacon grease licking leprechaun with overtures of  a whole race of these creatures taking over the world.

I doubt this was taking itself seriously.

I HAVE however, had Call of Cthulhu games that ran just like this.  ;D

I swear, I thought I was listening to a game journal.  I loved it,  couldn't stop laughing.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 04:09:12 PM
It took me a while to dredge it up from the depths of murky memory, but I think this story was inspired by "The Horror at Red Hook."  If you aren't familiar with it, I would recommend picking up a collection of Lovecraft's short fiction.

goatkeeper

Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 04:40:26 PM
It took me a while to dredge it up from the depths of murky memory, but I think this story was inspired by "The Horror at Red Hook."  If you aren't familiar with it, I would recommend picking up a collection of Lovecraft's short fiction.

Ah yes- hadn't thought of that.  You're totally right.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 01:07:27 AM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed this story to a point and even understood it.

The Irish Thing:  At that time, that's how many people saw the Irish -- as an underclass.  If the story is to be considered historically-understandable and somewhat accurate (see Steve's intro in EP145 for more on this), then the narrator's view of the Irish makes sense.

The Violence Thing:  I was amused by the narrator's deadpan way he saw the violence he committed.  It actually made him out to be a bit more sociopathic than some readers might have seen.  He accepted violence -- shooting people nonfatally, beating Cathy, knocking out the guy the leprechaun was trying to menace to get away from the narrator -- in such a way that it was actually scary.  In fact, it was played that he became MORE dispassionate when committing violence.

I accept that the story was seen as somewhat satirical by some, but I didn't really see it that way.

The constant interruptions from the White Street Society during the narration, I felt, took away from the story.

The names of the people in the society were hard for me to follow as well.  And some of the imagery was pretty disgusting -- needlessly so.  We didn't need the kids dipping their cups into the bucket or the excrement oozing up around the narrator's shoe.  It was disgusting in there.  We get it.  Honestly.

I did like the way the story treated the leprechaun idea -- that they're not little cartoonish dudes who try to steal your cereal.  Toward the end, I felt the influence of "American Gods" -- how the Irish brought the leprechauns to America with them.

Alasdair did an excellent job of doing the narration of the guy who went to Weeping House.  I didn't care for the framing portions quite so much.

Overall, a pretty good PP.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

WireMySoul

• Extern
    • WireMySoul
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 10:49:58 PM
I didn't like the character. I'm sure I wasn't supposed to like him... Yes it was funny-ish, but my disgust at the racism outweighed my enjoyment of the story (even though the violence didn't bother me because that was kind of funny in, as eytanz said, a "Monty Pythonesque" way)... until the leprechaun showed up, cause what's funnier than horny leprechauns? HAHAH!

Alasdair Stuart is awesome though. I love his readings.

Escape Addict.

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 03:49:33 AM
I tried to post earlier that this was the most ridiculous story I've ever heard, but I guess it didn't go through.

I don't really know what else to say. If you take the story at face value, it's absolutely disgusting and frightening. If you can't take it seriously, it's still awful but you can laugh at lines like "So I shot him" and "So I beat her anyway" and "I am a man of science!" and "I will employ him as my coachman for three dollars a day."

When was the story written? It seems unlikely that a modern author would write such an effective evocation of a certain period of (horror) literature and intend for it to be taken seriously. It's like Renaissance Festivals; perhaps 10% is historically accurate, if that, and the rest is fun and frippery.

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

jdw

• Extern
Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 01:50:09 AM
I thought the story was very well written; definitely and deftly applying a satirical spin to the narrative being told by a wholly self-important narrator. A writer is taking a risk when portraying characters for laughs, especially when the character isn't in on the joke -- readers might not be willing to get invested in the story or the character. But I think in this case the risk paid off, and I really enjoyed the story as both horror and comedy.

I think the setting (Victorian era) carves out space for the comedy to play out. I just watched the first season of Life on Mars (a fun BBC cop dramedy), which is set in 1973, and it's amazing how a shift in time can settle the urge to disbelieve; plot devices that would be implausible in a contemporary setting can pass muster in simpler times.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 05:48:56 PM
Yeah, I enjoyed this one, too.  I thought the tone was pretty much perfect (loved the line about how fast he was with dance steps), tongue-in-cheek and at the same time, completely horrifying.  I liked that the protagonist wasn't just played as an idiotic everyman like Bruce Campbell but despite all his laughs, was really quite a bastard (him beating Cathy "just to be certain" was also pretty chilling).  The image of him burning down the house at the end because he cares for these poor Irish immigrants so much was horrible to behold.  And the final, parting scene of the actual narrator praying and buying a pair of pistols to defend himself from the Irish Leprechauns invading seemed rather poignant for all the Monty Python antics. 

Overall, the more I think about this story, the more impressed I am.  Great story from Grady Hendrix and Alasdair did a fantastic delivery of the deadpan narration.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 10:22:20 PM
I am both immensely relieved and a little surprised that people largely dug the reading:)  Thanks guys.

The little things; burning down the house, beating Cathy just to be sure, the casual violence.  That's where the horror lies for me in this, and I think Grady did an amazing job of hiding a knife in a smile, as it were.  I'm just glad I didn't get in the way:)

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 09:11:01 PM
Alasdair's narration was definitely an improvement on that Lodger story, but shouldn't his main voice have been an American one? Wasn't the narrator American?

Sadly I don't really care for these sort of period stories chock full of hilarious 'realistic' racism, sexism, homophobia etc. There really should be some sort of literature police going round stopping people from writing these in first-person.

goatkeeper

Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 10:54:26 PM
There really should be some sort of literature police going round stopping people from writing these in first-person.

"Literature police"  ...subject matter truly appropriate in the horror genre.

DarkKnightJRK

• Peltast
Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 07:15:22 AM
It's like someone put Lovecraft, Monty Python and bits of Leprechan in Da Hood and mixed them into one delish, horrific, hilarious dish. ;D

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 05:21:49 PM
I wonder, did the Dr. kill himself because the leprechaun was after his lucky charms?

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.

bolddeceiver

• Matross
Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 07:46:44 PM

"Literature police"  ...subject matter truly appropriate in the horror genre.

I second that .

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #24 on: April 05, 2008, 07:41:07 PM
Sadly I don't really care for these sort of period stories chock full of hilarious 'realistic' racism, sexism, homophobia etc. There really should be some sort of literature police going round stopping people from writing these in first-person.
[/quote]

The sheer volume of the racist vitriol in this piece concerns me. From the drinking out of the chamber pot to the alcohol to the squalor, I'm not quite sure this type of Jonathan Swift satire hits the mark anymore. In fact, it seems kind of bland. I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't offend me, but it bothers me that it doesn't, since the piece is so full of degenerate images that, if it were directed at enumerable other groups it would offend me.

Perhaps because Swift was centuries ago and the images presented here are now little more than caricatures of once ardent racist beliefs held by a powerful established orthodoxy it doesn't sting.

I grant that most satire would fall flat compared to masters of the style, and maybe only students of Jonathan Swift immediately think of his works when a period piece attempts to pillory the Irish but I think the author went overboard here and that a more subtle approach would have been just as, or even more effective.

My two cents,
JoeFitz