Author Topic: Skyscrapers?  (Read 12335 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: February 14, 2008, 07:44:09 AM
I wandered over the the Podcastle LJ, and noticed a post saying that the flash fic story Skyscrapers has been removed from the lineup.  Apparently because it was written by Rachel, who's now editing the whole thing, and she wanted to remove any appearance of impropriety. 

While I applaud the sentiment, I wonder if it's really necessary.  Steve has run some of his own stuff on Escape Pod, and that didn't seem to be a problem.  Personally, I like to hear the kind of thing the person (and personality) in charge of the podcast actually writes.  And this is just flash fiction - just a taste.

Has someone actually made drama about this, or did the decision to pull the story come about to head off drama before it happens?  In any case, I'd encourage the story to be run - unless there are factors I just don't know about.

Thanks for all the work making this podcast idea into a (soon to be) reality!

eytanz

Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 09:25:44 AM
I would certainly want to hear the story run; if there was some drama already, or if Rachel is really uncomfortable with running it, we should petition Steve to run it on EP.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 09:38:44 AM
I wandered over the the Podcastle LJ, and noticed a post saying that the flash fic story Skyscrapers has been removed from the lineup.  Apparently because it was written by Rachel, who's now editing the whole thing, and she wanted to remove any appearance of impropriety. 

While I applaud the sentiment, I wonder if it's really necessary.  Steve has run some of his own stuff on Escape Pod, and that didn't seem to be a problem.  Personally, I like to hear the kind of thing the person (and personality) in charge of the podcast actually writes.  And this is just flash fiction - just a taste.

Has someone actually made drama about this, or did the decision to pull the story come about to head off drama before it happens?  In any case, I'd encourage the story to be run - unless there are factors I just don't know about.

Thanks for all the work making this podcast idea into a (soon to be) reality!

Likewise.  That's a fantastic piece and I'd love to hear it.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 01:00:58 PM
Add me to the list of those disappointed.
..and to the "petition Steve to it on Escapepod" list.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 03:20:28 PM
Yes.  Well said, Ocicat.  Add me to that list of people who really want to see this piece of flash produced and not just because I liked it.  While I can understand Rachel's position and sympathize with it, and I admire her willingness to set aside something she worked on to preserve the reputation of the podcast,  the fact is the best thing about the flash contest winners is that they were chosen by the listeners.  If it is not to be run either on EP or PC (hah, I hadn't noticed that podcastle's initials were PC!)  it's kind of like telling all the listeners, "Hey, we're glad you voted and have an opinion, but it doesn't actually count." 

Which is sad. Observe my sad face  :(

Though I likely would have made the same choice as Rachel, were I in her shoes.

Still.  Sad face :(

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 04:36:12 PM
Skyscrapers must be heard!  The story was a winner in the flash contest before PodCastle even existed.  In my mind, not airing Skyscrapers is an insult to us who participated in the flash contest.  I understand the sentiment behind wanting to pull it, but that is just not good enough.  We loved it.  We voted for it.  We must hear it!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 05:19:36 PM
If the rumor is true, than I too am disappointed.
I was very active in the flash contest and was quite pleased Skyscrapers won, regardless of the author.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 06:24:37 PM
Yeah, I was very disappointed when I read that on LJ.  I would love to hear it either here or on Escape Pod. 

Kurt Faler

• Palmer
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 06:41:47 PM
I would like to hear it too. I posted a comment in reply to the message on the blog saying as much, and it was edited out of the thread  ???

hautdesert

• Editor
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 04:32:09 AM
I would like to hear it too. I posted a comment in reply to the message on the blog saying as much, and it was edited out of the thread  ???

If you made a comment and it didn't appear, or appeared and then disappeared, then something funky happened.  I can solemnly swear that neither I nor Rachel would have deleted your comment. (We both have access to the Podcastle LJ account.)  Please feel free to post it again.

In any event.  I totally concur with opinions on the awesomeness of "Skyscrapers" but also completely understand Rachel's decision.

But never fear!  Before she made the decision to pull it from Podcastle, she discussed it with Steve.  "Skyscrapers" will run.  Both she and Steve recognized that it had to run, because really neither of them had chosen it--you all had.  So all is well.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 04:33:55 AM
Hi Kurt,

You weren't edited out of the thread... we've got anonymous comments screened right now because we have a rather vicious troll. We inted to unscreen the ones by people who aren't trolls, but obviously Ann and I somehow didn't get to it. Sorry, I'll do that now. :-\

I would have posted about the "Skyscrapers" thing here sooner, but I was waiting for Steve to answer my request to air "Skyscrapers," and my other contest story "Silence," on Escape Pod. The good news is -- he's agreed!

And we also have what I think is further good news. We're replacing "Skyscrapers" with another contest favorite, "Stone Born" by Loreen Heneghan. I loved that story when I read it in the contest, and I think it will be amazing in the line-up.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 04:35:00 AM
There we go! I've unscreened the two livejournal comments that were left on that thread.

Kurt Faler

• Palmer
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 05:19:10 AM
Hi Kurt,

You weren't edited out of the thread... we've got anonymous comments screened right now because we have a rather vicious troll. We inted to unscreen the ones by people who aren't trolls, but obviously Ann and I somehow didn't get to it. Sorry, I'll do that now. :-\

I would have posted about the "Skyscrapers" thing here sooner, but I was waiting for Steve to answer my request to air "Skyscrapers," and my other contest story "Silence," on Escape Pod. The good news is -- he's agreed!

And we also have what I think is further good news. We're replacing "Skyscrapers" with another contest favorite, "Stone Born" by Loreen Heneghan. I loved that story when I read it in the contest, and I think it will be amazing in the line-up.

No problem  :) I didn't know you had only anon comments screened so when I saw a comment show up after I had posted mine I thought it was cut. I signed it Kurt F. because of the troll that was around, I didn't want to seem like I was hiding behind an anon. some day I will get around to setting up a lj account too. It just seems I'm registered on more sites than I can visit in a day already. Glad to hear EP will get the story (both of them)!

eytanz

Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 07:38:29 AM

Yay! Best of all possible outcomes!

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 01:09:42 PM

Yay! Best of all possible outcomes!

Ditto eytanz' yay!  Yay!  I smile.  I feel joy. 

(Man, this thread is running me through an emotional gamut.)

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 01:14:04 PM
 ;D

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 06:49:19 PM
That's great news all around, Rachel.  I'm glad to hear it :)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 08:03:15 PM
I'm obviously preaching to the choir, but I didn't think palimpsest's removal of any Rachel Swirsky story was necessary, as kmmrlatham said, because TWO of her stories made it to the finals... and placed 3rd & 4th, to boot. 

The highest-rated story ... second-highest rated story ... third-highest rated story ...[and] any others that I, as EP’s editor, think are excellent choices for Escape Pod... will then be produced in audio and will go out on Escape Pod’s feed.

Personally, I'd be pleased as punch to hear any/all of the finalists turn up as flash pieces.  In particular, my own faves from the contest:

Quote from: http://forum.escapeartists.info/index.php?topic=669.0
Winter Stories     - 21 (4.1%)
Silence    - 38 (7.5%)
We Didn't Need Wings to Fly    - 19 (3.7%)
Skyscrapers    - 46 (9.1%)
Stone Born     - 24 (4.7%)

No matter who the editor might be, the customer is always right...um, right?  ::)

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 12:25:46 AM
If it is not to be run either on EP or PC (hah, I hadn't noticed that podcastle's initials were PC!)  it's kind of like telling all the listeners, "Hey, we're glad you voted and have an opinion, but it doesn't actually count." 

Which is sad. Observe my sad face  :(
Hey! Voting and having opinions that dont count is a trademark of the 2004 presidential elections!  I'm going to have to call the Presidential Madness Syndicate (PMS) on you!
Observe my angry face staring at your sad face! >:(

Glad to hear Rachel's stories will run!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:29:29 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 02:18:43 AM
But never fear!  Before she made the decision to pull it from Podcastle, she discussed it with Steve.  "Skyscrapers" will run.  Both she and Steve recognized that it had to run, because really neither of them had chosen it--you all had.  So all is well.
Huzzah!

It's okay guys, stand down. Return to your hovels.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")