Author Topic: Pseudopod 77: Merlin’s Bane  (Read 15726 times)

Russell Nash

Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 11:32:38 AM
I hate to agree with these two misfits, but this time I do.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 07:31:44 PM
I liked this one reasonably well, but found a couple points hard to swallow:
1.  Her leaving the mirror makeup within arms reach.  I mean, it's pretty much the "invincibility shield" the annoying kid on the playground would always put up so it was no fun to play with him.  If this were possible in this world EVERYONE would be doing it.
2.  I can forgive him forgetting his anti-glamour glyph once, but then he returns to her house without drawing one?  How stupid is this guy?

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 06:27:42 AM
So I decided to follow the links and went looking for more of these stories. Seems there's a published book including most of the collection, but it's out of print. There also seems to be a Kindle edition available, but no kindle here. I like paper. There's something ironic about the book collector series only being available right now in electronic format. Anyone have a copy of this book I could buy or borrow?

Also, has PP considered licensing more of these stories? I think both this an Goon Job were winners. They're a good mix of noir and horror. And I think Ben does a good job reading noir.

I have also downloaded his story on Drabblecast to check out more of his work.

Thanks PseudoPod for sticking a tentacle in my ear.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 11:14:42 PM
I have to credit this one for achieving an effective plot and a directness of telling that made it both easy to follow and enjoyable to listen to.  I would like to hear more stories like this.

However, as much as I enjoyed its unabashed "pulpiness" I am not a fan of the "hardboiled" or "punchy" "Paranormal Private Eye" stories.  They all seem to have sprung up around the same time Laurel K. Hamilton's nonsense took off and I just don't find them that interesting.  The protagonist is always the same (hard-bitten, down on his/her luck, no-nonsense - a bad noir pastiche basically).  The situation is always the same: stop monster, but carry it out like you were investigating a serial killer.

So, it may be personal bias speaking here, but while I liked the way the story was told - the actual language and subject matter I found a little dull and uninspired.  Also, I agree with a lot of people here: for a supposedly competent protagonist and antagonist, they both make a lot of dumb mistakes.  I might be able to buy that in Conan, but not here.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:34:20 PM by Millenium_King »

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 02:06:29 PM
Ooh, Millenium_King, you have an avatar pic now!  I like.  :)

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 12:13:23 AM
Thanks.  It's Azathoth by John Coulthart.

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.