Author Topic: PseudoPod 701: Technicolor  (Read 1775 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: May 03, 2020, 05:07:43 AM
PseudoPod 701: Technicolor

Author: John Langan
Narrator: George Hrab
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Chelsea Davis

“Technicolor” was first published in Poe: 19 New Tales of Suspense, Dark Fantasy and Horror in 2009

Show Notes
The inspiration, “The Masque of the Red Death”, was read on PodCastle and can be found here

The Tor article that Alasdair mentions: https://www.tor.com/2019/11/13/the-things-we-do-for-course-credit-john-langans-technicolor/

Come on, say it out loud with me: “And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.” Look at that sentence. Who says Edgar Allan Poe was a lousy stylist? Thirteen words—good number for a horror story, right? Although it’s not so much a story as a masque. Yes, it’s about a masque, but it is a masque, too. Of course, you all know what a masque is. If you didn’t, you looked it up in your dictionaries, because that’s what you do in a senior seminar. Anyone?

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Languorous Lass

Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 05:38:45 AM
I didn’t see this one coming at all!  Long, but the length works for the story.  Outstanding. 

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 01:33:45 PM
Blah.
Blah.
Blah.
Blah.

Institutional blah.
Blah.
Blah.

Gotcha!
 :o
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Languorous Lass

Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 02:13:08 PM
Scuba Man, did you listen to this one before or after #700? 

Scuba Man

• Lochage
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 08:32:42 PM
Number 700 was Hop Frog, yes?  I watched Technicolor (Technicolour) after 700. That's a curious question. Reason?

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Languorous Lass

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 05:30:40 AM
I wondered because you said you learned a lot about Edgar Allan Poe from the previous story, and this story ties in with the Poe theme as well.  (Maybe I misread your reaction to this story, but you seemed to prefer the Poe to this one.)

Languorous Lass

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 05:33:25 AM
Now that I look back, though, either I hallucinated your positive reaction to the Poe, or your edit to your comment on that story upped the snark level considerably.   ???

JDuckworth

• Palmer
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 05:25:39 PM
Langan has such a rare talent for making horror set in academia.

It's also remarkable how in such a long story that takes so long to get to its final point and meanders quite a bit, it's never boring and I never lost interest.

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 10:19:52 PM
As he reveals the last twelve words, Helmut Finch becomes the world.  And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.

Neat story. Good reading.

Metalsludge

• Palmer
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 03:58:28 AM
This has been my favorite Langan story, so of course I'm happy to see it here.  I always liked how it combines real facts about the story and writer that inspired it with fictionalized stuff until one doesn't know which is which, kind of like Lovecraft's approach in that respect. It also starts out with a truly fine appreciation for Poe's sentence structure that rings true and is genuinely revealing of something about Poe's awareness of his craft and the way the original Masque story worked.

Even when I first read it, one could see the ending coming, but it's still pleasantly creepy in its presentation. All and all, a dream story for a literary horror fan.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 09:46:08 PM
I like an episode that makes me reminisce about those bright college days (sung in the same tune as Tom Lehr's evil little ditty).https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=More_of_Tom_Lehrer&oldid=951324639