Author Topic: PseudoPod 702: At the Farmhouse  (Read 1096 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: May 08, 2020, 02:32:55 PM
PseudoPod 702: At the Farmhouse

Author: E.F. Benson
Narrator: Matt Dovey
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Chelsea Davis

“At the Farmhouse” first appeared in Hutchinson’s Magazine, March 1923

The dusk of a November day was falling fast when John Aylsford came out of his lodging in the cobbled street and started to walk briskly along the road which led eastwards by the shore of the bay. He had been at work while the daylight served him, and now, when the gathering darkness weaned him from his easel, he was accustomed to go out for air and exercise and cover half a dozen miles before he returned to his solitary supper.

To-night there were but few folk abroad, and those scudded along before the strong south-westerly gale which had roared and raged all day, or, leaning forward, beat their way against it. No fishing-boats had put forth on that maddened sea, but had lain moored behind the quay-wall, tossing uneasily with the backwash of the great breakers that swept by the pier-head. The tide was low now, and they rested on the sandy beach, black blots against the smooth wet surface which sombrely reflected the last flames in the west. The sun had gone down in a wrack of broken and flying clouds, angry and menacing with promise of a wild night to come.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Languorous Lass

Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 02:58:20 AM
“Knowing the truth and getting justice” aren’t “the same thing.”

Yes, I know it was a quotation from Broadchurch, but Broadchurch got the grammar wrong. 

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 07:22:03 PM
How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've read Saducismus Triumphatus?

Not bad. I like the ambiguity, but I wish the author had explored that a little more. Sprinkle in a few more cryptic bits about the story's main characters, and give the wife some dialogue.

Gray

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 07:52:24 AM
I like this type of Crime & Punishment horror story: someone want someone dead, creates and executes masterplan, twist occurs.

... But these stories always seem to start with the protagonist justifying their future actions. It would be interesting to hear the story fresh without knowing the artists inner thoughts.