Escape Artists

News:

News

ATTENTION: NEW FORUM THEME Please see here for details: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=13188.0

Author Topic: EP146: Edward Bear and the Very Long Walk  (Read 45469 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #120 on: August 31, 2010, 04:42:18 PM
I liked almost all of this story, but the oblique Pooh references really bugged me.  They should've either been more direct or more subtle.  If they weren't direct for copyright reasons, as suggested, well then maybe you shouldn't write a story so clearly based on a copyrighted character.  The story would've been the same without the Pooh references.  For me it got especially annoying near the end when he started hallucinating about his 100 Acre Wood friends, which served no purpose for me except to just cram a few extra references in the last bit.  It struck me in the same way that much of X-Men 3 struck me--there are a LOT of characters from the comic in X-Men 3, but most of them are only on-screen long enough to be introduced, and if they're lucky they get one speaking line.  So instead of using them as part of the story, like in the first two movies, it was just a "Let's see how many campy references we can cram into 2 hours, it won't be irritating at all, I promise!"  Yeah, this was like that for me.

I liked the quest, I liked the slow reveal.  I liked Edward's thought process.  I was sad that he died, though by that time I was annoyed enough by the oblique Pooh references that I wasn't as sad as I would've been.

I've been fond of Winnie the Pooh since I was a kid.  I watched the Disney version a lot, and also watched the cartoon on Saturday mornings.  I'm not sure I've ever read the books, but I definitely want to.
A bit of trivia for you:  Did you know that the voice of Eeyore in the cartoon show and movies is also the voice of Optimus Prime in Transformers (both the 80s cartoon series and the Michael Bay film).  Peter Cullen, I believe his name is, and his IMDB list has dozens of 80s cartoon cameos for voice acting.  I'd been big fans of both Eeyore and Optimus for nigh on 20 years before I realized that!  :)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #121 on: August 31, 2010, 05:28:27 PM
Heh. I was all about to say I was surprised anyone would have any kind of negative reaction to the stories - this is solidly in my top three favorite EP episodes of all time - but then I went back and read the old comments and this story was really divisive, either people really liked it and were shocked at the negative comments, or exactly the opposite.

Must be a stylistic thing - something about the format either REALLY works to some people's tastes, or REALLY doesn't.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #122 on: August 31, 2010, 05:39:40 PM
Heh. I was all about to say I was surprised anyone would have any kind of negative reaction to the stories - this is solidly in my top three favorite EP episodes of all time - but then I went back and read the old comments and this story was really divisive, either people really liked it and were shocked at the negative comments, or exactly the opposite.

Must be a stylistic thing - something about the format either REALLY works to some people's tastes, or REALLY doesn't.

I was sort of in the middle actually.  I liked the story, but hated the Pooh references.  Those references could easily have been removed and then I would've loved it without reservations.  You can write a story about a bear of very little brains without it actually BEING Pooh, just reminiscient of Pooh.

eytanz

Reply #123 on: August 31, 2010, 05:44:38 PM

Actually, if you look back to the initial reactions, everyone who commented negatively (and I guess I should include myself there, even though I liked the story) was mostly complaining about thematic issues and the use of the Winnie-the-Pooh character, and there are almost no negative comments about anything stylistic. The complaints about the writing style are relatively late in the thread.

As to whether it was a good idea to use the Edward bear character or whether it would have been better off using a novel bear character, I can only say that at this point, two and a half years after I heard the story, I remembered it mostly as "the story that used Winnie-The-Pooh references for no good reason". I didn't remember anything else about it. I was actually surprised, going back to my early post in the thread, that I seemed to like everything else about the story, given that that has been overshadowed entirely in my mind.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #124 on: August 31, 2010, 06:06:16 PM
I didnt express myself clearly, but I'm having trouble putting it into words, so never mind.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #125 on: August 31, 2010, 08:46:25 PM
I didnt express myself clearly, but I'm having trouble putting it into words, so never mind.

Didn't mean to scare you off, just discussing.   :)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #126 on: June 14, 2016, 04:01:12 AM
Not much to say that hasn't already been said. This was a good'un. Enjoyed it very much.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”