Escape Artists

News:

• Voting has started for the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest. Anyone who has made at least one post should be able to see the stories down in the Arcade.

New groups are posted every two days through the end of April.

News

Voting has started for the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest. Anyone who has made at least one post should be able to see the stories down in the Arcade.

New groups are posted every two days through the end of April.

Author Topic: Looking for a story  (Read 1820 times)

camicami

• Extern
on: May 23, 2020, 02:10:30 PM
Today during lunch I was hit by a wave of memory of a story I listened to, possibly last year's summer (but no guarantees it was published then, since I often accumulate a backlog). To be honest I'm not even sure it was an EA story. I remember listening to it, and I don't think it was long enough to be an audiobook. EA podcasts are pretty much the only fiction podcasts I listen to, so there's a chance. By the style of the story, I'm imagining either PseudoPod or PodCastle.

This was a story taking place in a strange house (possibly a boarding house, there were people who came and went and disappeared). It was a bit "new weird", a bit fantasy, a bit horror. The story talked about several of the people who lived in the house: one of these people was a woman who lived with her husband, but her husband worked night shifts and she was around in the morning. The narrator suspected the woman was a victim of domestic abuse because of the sounds she heard from her apartment, but it's revealed this woman actually supernaturally turned into a man at night  and she herself was the "husband" who went out to work each day.
I'm thinking the house was a bit of a supernatural entity in itself that required sacrifices. Maybe the narrator was next in line to take over the position as the housekeeper?

Thank you for any help!