Author Topic: Where is everyone located?  (Read 33177 times)

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
on: February 26, 2008, 01:36:41 AM
Silly question just out of curiosity:  In what countries are you, our beloved listeners, presiding other than USA, Canada, UK, and Australia?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 02:25:34 AM

Because what's the point of a serious question if we can't be seriously cheeky about answering it?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 02:42:37 PM
Dornstadt, Germany.

Yeah, I moved 3 times in the last 2.5 years. Sue me.

Russell Nash

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 06:48:35 PM
I can't let Heradel be a wiseass without throwing something of my own out there.

I am an American living in Berlin Germany and this is one of the reasons:

I'm going to catch so much s**t for that one.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 07:51:27 PM
yer gonna have to catch the American chick's s**t for that one

i'm residing in Florida so i'm not a real addition to this thread i guess... :(

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

FamilyGuy

• Matross
Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:49:52 AM
From his POV, I'd say he was in the perfect position to catch some s**t.  ;)

I'm from Minnesota, BTW.

When will all the rhetorical questions end?

AarrowOM

• Palmer
  • "We are fleeting creatures, we humans!" - S Baxter
    • Aaron Morris's Website
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 06:58:59 AM
Chicagoland (home) and Cincinnati, previously Schenectady, NY (school).

Most that are profound would choose to narrate tales of living men with nouns like sorrow, verbs like lose, and action scenes, and love – but then there are now some, and brave they be, that speak of Lunar cities raised and silver spheres and purple seas, leaving us who listen dazed. -- Irena Foygel

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 01:02:36 PM
We're in Baltimore (Maryland), but I'm from the Phoenix, AZ area, originally.  My son was born in the UK, though (so that's my claim to "fitting" the actual topic). 

And my oldest was born on California, which everyone knows is another planet.

:)

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 11:03:53 PM
I live in Colac. Physically it's located in Victoria, Australia, so on that score it doesn't count for the poll. Everyone in Australia knows, though, that if you don't live in Sydney or Melbourne (or, failing that, within 5km of the beach) you don't count for anything.

UK readers might be interested to know that the Timmins family (that family of loveable larrikins on Neighbours) come from Colac.

I said might be.

goatkeeper

Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 11:58:41 PM
We're in Baltimore (Maryland), but I'm from the Phoenix, AZ area, originally.  My son was born in the UK, though (so that's my claim to "fitting" the actual topic). 

And my oldest was born on California, which everyone knows is another planet.

:)

Hey, I'm from Bmore too!  And so now I'm piggybacking to your claim of legitimacy for posting in this thread.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 05:28:43 PM
/points at palm of open right hand
Right here...oh, sorry...it's a Michigan thing. 

Again, not really in line with the thread since it's in the USA.
I used to live in Flint, who has the claim to fame of being the topic of Michael Moore's documentary "Roger and Me".  He claims it's his hometown, but he's actually from Flushing, a nice suburb of Flint.  I lived in downtown flint.  It was a hole.  The best thing they could do to that town is burn it down and start over.  But I digress....the point: I'm from Michigan.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 05:38:31 PM
OK, I used to live abroad: Okinawa, Japan.
I also used to live near Baltimore (Clarksville, MD).
So there.  Double-dubiousness.
Is dubiousness increased or decreased through multiplication?  Is it like multiplying fractions?  More dubious claims only serve to make me more sketch, rather than less?

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 07:04:35 PM
I guess I should add that I'm originally from DC.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 01:40:02 AM
Alright, then... do we need a separate thread so the response from the Greater Bal-Wash area doesn't drown out the people from more distant lands?  :D

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 01:58:29 AM
Alright, then... do we need a separate thread so the response from the Greater Bal-Wash area doesn't drown out the people from more distant lands?  :D

Ahem. Wash-Bal.

Edit: Also — wouldn't this work better in Gallimaufry/Meta? It's been a while since we've done a census.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 02:06:00 AM by Heradel »

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 01:34:28 AM
Edit: Also — wouldn't this work better in Gallimaufry/Meta? It's been a while since we've done a census.

Probably.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 01:40:39 AM

Ahem. Wash-Bal.

If it makes you feel any better, I wear Nats and Diamondbacks t-shirts just to rile up the locals.  (And they have very little to say about it, considering how bad the O's have been, and how evil Peter Angelos is.)  ;)

bad_andy

• Palmer
Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 05:04:25 AM
Omaha, Nebraska.

I can't let Heradel be a wiseass without throwing something of my own out there.

I am an American living in Berlin Germany and this is one of the reasons:

I'm going to catch so much s**t for that one.

Congratulations. I almost sprayed my laptop when I saw that. Thanks. :D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:06:00 AM by bad_andy »

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 05:09:02 AM
In reply:

Odd how they used Blue for Ok, Red for bad.

Anyway, us Northerners don't have that much to worry about, though Wash-Bal falls into the red, but probably just because of the rest of the states they're in.

eytanz

Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 08:09:43 AM
They didn't, they used grey for good, blue for bad, and red for worse. This map is a classic case of how statistics can be deceiving - the "blue" states are in pretty bad shape (more than 20% obesity is still very much an epidemic; imagine these were AIDS or cancer figures), but the mapmakers made a big difference in color between 24% and 25% and a small difference in color between 15% and 20% to make it look like there is a big difference between middle America and the NE/SW. Note that the map also obscures differences within the red states - are all of them around the 25% mark, or is the percentage in some of them quite higher?

I'm guessing the reason is that the current color division made sense for the earlier years, but it's really not a good way to explain the 2006 situation.

Note that there's only one state in the US (Colorado) with a less than 20% obesity level.

(Now, that said, I don't know what the stats are in Europe, but here in England the media at least implies that the situation is not that different, maybe just a few years behind. Obesity is not an exclusively American problem)

Russell Nash

Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 07:45:57 PM
I gotta say how much I hate that they use the BMI to figure out if folks are obese or not.  Arnold Schwarzennegger won the Mr. Universe title 5 times (or 6 I forget) with a BMI of 32.5.  That is considered obese. 

I especially hate it, because I always worked out for muscle mass.  When my movers just bitched at me that some of my book boxes were too heavy, I called them a bunch of girls and carried out the boxes two at a time on my own.  That shut the wimps up.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 08:07:15 PM
I gotta say how much I hate that they use the BMI to figure out if folks are obese or not.  Arnold Schwarzennegger won the Mr. Universe title 5 times (or 6 I forget) with a BMI of 32.5.  That is considered obese. 

I especially hate it, because I always worked out for muscle mass.  When my movers just bitched at me that some of my book boxes were too heavy, I called them a bunch of girls and carried out the boxes two at a time on my own.  That shut the wimps up.

Girly men!  They need to pump up!

Yeah, BMI can be misleading.  I took one of my lads in to the doc for Strep last week and while they were weighing and measuring him I took notice of the BMI chart posted above the scale.   According to that damn thing I'm borderline obese at 5'9" / 200.  I hit the weights at least once a week and am not a big fat guy. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 08:30:27 PM
I gotta say how much I hate that they use the BMI to figure out if folks are obese or not.

Now that this thread is completely derailed I have to second RN's thoughts on BMI.  BMI is a crappy way to calculate obesity.  All it uses is height and weight.  An actual measure of body fat would be a much more accurate indicator of obesity.

I, personally, am right on the edge of normal and overweight at a BMI of 25.1 (5'11", 180lb).  However, I work out twice a week and eat sort of okay (I do like my pie and like fast food, but when I eat at home it's organic and lots of greens). 

I love how Eytanz pointed out the tricky statistics of that map.  Fantastic.  I like to do the same thing with presentations to upper management.  Throw in a couple histograms and you may as well have blinded the entire audience.  They may have no idea what they are looking at, but they sure aren't going to ask because they don't want to look stupid.  Awesome.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

FamilyGuy

• Matross
Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 11:20:05 PM
If you torture statistics long enough, you can get them to say anything you want.   ;D

When will all the rhetorical questions end?

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 03:32:24 AM
If you torture statistics long enough, you can get them to say anything you want.   ;D

You can get the same results if you take them out to dinner and a movie, then slip them a little sump'n-sump'n in the beverage...

Oh, wait... you said statistics?  NM.....