Escape Artists
September 28, 2016, 12:07:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EP023: The Dream Factory  (Read 4400 times)
Russell Nash
« on: February 27, 2008, 04:43:11 AM »

EP023: The Dream Factory

By Jenn Reese.
Read by Scott Fletcher (of Podcheck Review).

You need some younger Ast-tlakians for a new fantasy feature the company is doing. It’s Lord of the Rings meets Kindergarten Cop. Vin Diesel to star, Woo to direct. So you need a bunch of realistic fantasy creatures, and Stan Winston figured out long ago that it was easier to hire off-world than build all these bizarre creatures from scratch. It’s a big industry secret, and you need to keep it that way. You have a tendency to brag and name-drop when you’re drunk, so you’re only mostly sure that you haven’t told anyone.

Rated R. Contains sexual situations and a sleazy industry.

Referenced Sites:
The Bear’s Grove
Podcheck Review
Thither.biz

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!
eytanz

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:54:41 AM »

Overall, this was an ok lighter piece - entertaining, but not really substantial. It's not one of the better stories, nor one of the worst ones.

The reason I requested it was to comment on the fact that it was told in second person. As everyone here knows, that's a rarely used device, and there's a good reason for that - it very rarely works. But here it worked very well. Not because I got on board and really thought I was the protagonist - far from it - but because it felt to me like the story itself was a pitch, trying to sell me a new and exciting life concept. It made me feel like I was the person sitting across the table from a holywood screenwriter being offered a mediocre fantasy as if it was the most important thing in the world. So, while I was not brought into the world the story was presented on the level of the narrative, I *was* brought into the very same world on a meta-level. And that, for all that the storyline itself was a piece of fluff, was a masterstroke.
Planish
Hipparch

Fun will now commence.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 01:35:59 AM »

I enjoyed it especially for the reader's voice - so slick and smooth, in a pitchman sort of way.
It seemed like perfect casting.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 12:47:17 PM »

I enjoyed it especially for the reader's voice - so slick and smooth, in a pitchman sort of way.
It seemed like perfect casting.

I agree.  I can't imagine this story in print -- but the reader really nailed this.  And the 2nd person POV worked really well, too. 

Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 11:05:26 AM »

Recently re-listened, love it!  This was incredibly entertaining and funny, and the reading was perfect.  I third the notion that i cannot imagine this in print.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:45:55 PM »

This one was fun.  I barely noticed the 2nd person usage, which is high praise since I've yet to hear a story where a story was better for using 2nd person.  The narrator was a phenomonal choice!  At first, I was skeptical--it sounded like a guy on an informercial or something, but as the story unfolded, that was very very fitting.  Without the narrator the story just wouldn't have been as good.  Good choice!
Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
EA Staff

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 01:59:57 PM »

Overall, this was an ok lighter piece - entertaining, but not really substantial. It's not one of the better stories, nor one of the worst ones.

The reason I requested it was to comment on the fact that it was told in second person. As everyone here knows, that's a rarely used device, and there's a good reason for that - it very rarely works. But here it worked very well. Not because I got on board and really thought I was the protagonist - far from it - but because it felt to me like the story itself was a pitch, trying to sell me a new and exciting life concept. It made me feel like I was the person sitting across the table from a holywood screenwriter being offered a mediocre fantasy as if it was the most important thing in the world. So, while I was not brought into the world the story was presented on the level of the narrative, I *was* brought into the very same world on a meta-level. And that, for all that the storyline itself was a piece of fluff, was a masterstroke.

With the concept of this as a movie pitch, I dislike the second person less. However, I think this story could have been just as effective in first person. I didn't really hear the value added portion.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: