Author Topic: PseudoPod 713: You Can Stay All Day  (Read 959 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: July 17, 2020, 08:04:25 PM
PseudoPod 713: You Can Stay All Day

Author: Mira Grant
Narrator: Kitty Sarkozy
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Chelsea Davis

“You Can Stay All Day” was originally published in 2017 in Nights of the Living Dead and reprinted in Ellen Datlow’s Best Horror.

The merry-go-round was still merry-going, painted horses prancing up and down while the calliope played in the background, tinkly and bright and designed to attract children all the way from the parking lot.  There was something about the sound of the calliope that seemed to speak to people on a primal level, telling them “the fun is over here,” and “come to remember how much you love this sort of thing.”

Cassandra was pretty sure it wasn’t the music that was attracting the bodies thronging in the zoo’s front plaza.  It was the motion.  The horses were still dancing, and some of them still had riders, people who had become tangled in their safety belts when they fell.  So the dead people on the carousel kept flailing, and the dead people who weren’t on the carousel kept coming, and—

They were dead.  They were all dead, and they wouldn’t stay down, and none of this could be happening.  None of this could be real.

The bite on her arm burned with the deep, slow poison of infection setting in, and nothing was real anymore.  Nothing but the sound of the carousel, playing on and on, forever.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 01:11:14 AM
I removed my post and moved it to a more appropriate thread. I enjoyed this story’s plot.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.