Author Topic: PC642: In a Field of Bone-Bonnets  (Read 1147 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: September 01, 2020, 10:58:57 PM
PodCastle 642: In a Field of Bone-Bonnets

Author: Aimee Picchi
Narrator: Jen R. Albert
Host: Setsu Uzume
Audio Producer: Peter Behravesh

Originally published by Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores.

---

Show Notes
Rated PG-13.

The hut shuffled to face the sunrise, a habit that pleased its old witch, and kindled the fire in its hearth for her morning tea.

The witch groaned as she wobbled from her bed and picked up a ragged note from the floor. The scrap had been slipped under the hut’s door in the middle of the night while the witch had snored in her feather bed. During the note’s delivery, the hut had remained still because the witch had told it many years ago that her customers were scared enough already and might be frightened off if a giant chicken-footed hut suddenly moved.

The witch and the hut both knew what the note would say. The messages were always the same, even if the words were different.

“Another woman needs my help.” The witch wheezed as she reached for her bag of medicines.

The ever-glowing skulls strung by the hut’s doorway clattered. You need to rest.

“My dearest hut, I must continue with my work until I can no longer. Stoke your fires at dusk. That’s when I will return.”

As she reached for her walking stick, she gave the hut’s central beam a pat.

The hut watched with worry as she limped into the woods in search of the young woman who had written the note and crept to the hut’s door in the middle of the night.

As the sun arced across the sky, the hut rotated on its chicken feet to follow the warmth. It opened its shutters and aired its insides, then closed the shutters when the afternoon air grew hot and humid.

As the sun was setting, the old woman stumped back, her breathing labored. Fatigue lined her face, and she stepped inside unsteadily.

You are too old to keep doing this, the hut clattered.

Listen to this week's PodCastle.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 11:17:04 PM by Ocicat »

TrishEM

• Matross
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 01:50:00 AM
A nice soothing story,  just what I needed today.