Author Topic: 2020 Cast of Wonders Flash Fiction Contest Rules & Schedule  (Read 7182 times)

Karissa

• Autarch
The Cast of Wonders Flash Fiction Contest 2020 will be starting its voting period on October 5, 2020. We received 159 submissions 157  submissions (Edited on 10/05/2020 to note that two stories were withdrawn after groups were made).

The stories have been split into 16 groups with 10 stories in 15 groups 13 groups and 9 stories in the second, ninth, and last groups. Stories are assigned to the groups randomly; authors will not be informed in advance in which group their story appears.

The top three winners of each group will go on the semi-final round, where there will be 6 groups of 8 stories each.

The top three stories in each semi-final group will go to the final round, where there will be one group of 18 stories. The top three stories in this group will be the overall winners.

In any of the groups, if there is a tie for third place, the tied stories will all ascend to the next round. If there is a tie in the final round, the editorial staff will decide whether to consider all tied stories as winners or whether to hold a tie-breaker round.

In each group, you may pick up to 3 stories.  You may vote for fewer than 3.

VOTING RULES:

1. This contest is being run by me, Karissa Sluss. If needed, other forum moderators may be brought in, and that will be announced. If one of the moderators submitted an entry, they will not use any of their moderator abilities in the contest forums without disqualifying their entry.

2. Stories will be posted anonymously. Authors of the stories that did not advance will be revealed at the end of each stage. All author names will be revealed at the end of the contest. Please do not try to publicly guess at the identities of the authors. Those posts will be deleted and the poster will be warned. As an author, please do not try to garner outside support through blogs, Twitter, Facebook, etc. If we discover that an author has revealed their authorship of a story before it is allowed (in the contest threads or elsewhere), that is grounds for disqualification of the story.

3. As always, constructive discussion is encouraged about all stories posted in this contest. The key word here is constructive. Normal forum rules remain in place. Be civil and respectful. Rude comments and unconstructive negativity will be deleted or edited, and the offending poster will be warned. Repeated poor behavior could result in being banned from the forums and/or your story being removed from the contest.ADDENDUM. We have a number of story submissions from young authors. Please bear that in mind when commenting on stories - I would encourage you all to be encouraging in your constructive criticism.

4. Creating multiple accounts to vote for a story will get you banned from the forums and your story removed from the contest. If you are sharing a computer, living space, or router with someone else who will be voting or creating an account, make sure to message me—many of you already have noted this in your submission cover letters, so thanks for the heads up. If you have not messaged me regarding shared computers/routers, failure to do so may result in various adverse effects such as account deletion and/or banning.

5. It is perfectly fine to vote for your own story. In fact, we encourage all authors to do so because that levels the playing field. Only avoid voting for your own story if you genuinely believe other stories should win over it, not just to be polite, please.

Please read and re-read these rules before asking questions.

VOTING SCHEDULE:

Polls should open and close just after midnight around 6:00 a.m. EDT/EST on the dates below. Each group will be open for voting for a week. A new group will open each day, for example:

Group 1 will open Mon, October 5, 2020 and close Mon, October 12, 2020
Group 2 will open Tuesday, October 6, 2020 and close Tuesday, 13, 2020     

Group 16 will open Tuesday, October 20, 2020 and close Tuesday, October 27, 2020

The semi-final groups will be posted on Mon, November 2, 2020 close Mon, November 9, 2020.

The final group will start on Fri, November 13, 2020 close Fri, November 20, 2020.

Happy reading!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 02:42:21 PM by Karissa »

Karissa

• Autarch
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 07:18:13 PM
The details above have changed slightly since they were originally posted. A story was withdrawn after groups were made. As of 9/29/2020 10/05/2020 there are now a total of 157 stories. There will now be 13 groups with 10 stories each. The second group, ninth group, and last group will have 9 stories each.

**Edited on 10/01/2020 to add that all stories are being posted with the formatting with which they were submitted.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 07:08:12 PM by Karissa »

Ettan

• Peltast
    • Weird Wild Art
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 03:20:47 AM
Very disappointed that nobody bothered to announce this contest here in the forum until AFTER submissions had closed!

weirdwildart.com

astrokath

• -between the singing stars-
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 03:59:47 PM
Very disappointed that nobody bothered to announce this contest here in the forum until AFTER submissions had closed!

Thank you for your feedback. The contest was announced on the show itself and has been on the Cast of Wonders submission schedule on our website and Moksha portal for most of the year. We're sorry not to have posted an announcement here as well - we didn't expect or want our listeners to miss out. Mea culpa.

Not the droid you're looking for.

Ettan

• Peltast
    • Weird Wild Art
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 04:06:34 AM

Thank you for your feedback. The contest was announced on the show itself and has been on the Cast of Wonders submission schedule on our website and Moksha portal for most of the year. We're sorry not to have posted an announcement here as well - we didn't expect or want our listeners to miss out. Mea culpa.

I focus on the forum contests to contribute and read. I'd written to Karissa about the failure to announce on the forum this year and they mentioned a calendar which I was not aware of. I asked where to find it but they haven't bothered to respond to that.

weirdwildart.com

carter101

• Extern
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 07:03:05 AM

I focus on the forum contests to contribute and read. I'd written to Karissa about the failure to announce on the forum this year and they mentioned a calendar which I was not aware of. I asked where to find it but they haven't bothered to respond to that.

You'll find it on the website: https://www.castofwonders.org/, and click submissions.

Ettan

• Peltast
    • Weird Wild Art
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 04:43:19 AM

You'll find it on the website: https://www.castofwonders.org/, and click submissions.

Thanks.

weirdwildart.com

Languorous Lass

Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 09:49:09 PM
I'd written to Karissa about the failure to announce on the forum this year and they mentioned a calendar which I was not aware of. I asked where to find it but they haven't bothered to respond to that.

Since, as you point out, the deadline for submissions to this contest has already passed, perhaps Karissa’s attention is more appropriately focused on organizing the submitted stories for posting and voting.

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 03:29:47 AM
Aw nuts, I would very much have liked to enter this too.  I did not realize we needed to be monitoring other sites for that.  :(

astrokath

Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 08:55:10 AM
Aw nuts, I would very much have liked to enter this too.  I did not realize we needed to be monitoring other sites for that.  :(

Apologies for our oversight - we assumed our listeners and readers would be fully looped in. This is a mistake on my part. It's been a stressful summer and I dropped this particular ball.  :-(

I hope you still enjoy reading and voting on the stories that came in - there's a wonderful selection waiting in the wings!

Deborah L. Davitt

• Matross
Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 02:24:26 PM
On reading the stories, I went to reply to one, and found no reply button.

This is because I was not logged in.

Which suggests that the stories are readable by those who aren't logged in.

Yep. I logged out again (and just logged back in to post this). The Group 1 stories are visible to all, which means they are now published. As the entire point of using a private forum is to prevent first-publication rights from being used up, please secure Group 1's stories properly. Thank you! :)

astrokath

Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 05:39:55 PM
Hi Deborah, terribly sorry this happened!  The board permissions have been fixed now.

Karissa

• Autarch
Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 06:45:39 PM
On reading the stories, I went to reply to one, and found no reply button.

This is because I was not logged in.

Which suggests that the stories are readable by those who aren't logged in.

Yep. I logged out again (and just logged back in to post this). The Group 1 stories are visible to all, which means they are now published. As the entire point of using a private forum is to prevent first-publication rights from being used up, please secure Group 1's stories properly. Thank you! :)

Deborah, thanks for letting us know. I am still figuring out the details of the forum and contest. I realized around 11:00 pm EDT last night that I had not thought to ask anyone with experience what the permissions should be, and all the people I would reach out to were long since asleep.  So, I opted to open to all which I thought was a better risk than not including groups that should have been included. Now I know what to do when I open up Group 2 for voting. Thanks so much again!

Xart

• Palmer
Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 06:38:47 AM

Same here! Please specify where future contests will be advertised so that I don't miss out again.

Liam

• Lochage
Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 11:12:31 AM
Interestingly, you can see the votes so far after you have voted, though it says the votes are private (and as they were in the last contest, I believe?). I guess that's a setting. It feels less open to manipulation, if the results aren't known by anyone until the contest closes! I assume it's a setting in the poll? Not a complaint, per se, but an observation, if this isn't what you intended, perhaps see what can be done to change it?

(And thanks for running this contest- I always enjoy them, and it sounds like you've been thrown into, if not the deep end, then not the shallows either!)

Karissa

• Autarch
Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 11:19:34 AM
Interestingly, you can see the votes so far after you have voted, though it says the votes are private (and as they were in the last contest, I believe?). I guess that's a setting. It feels less open to manipulation, if the results aren't known by anyone until the contest closes

The votes are visible yes, but only after your vote has been cast and the vote cannot be changed once it has been cast. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 11:29:25 AM by Karissa »

GLeen

• Extern
Reply #16 on: October 06, 2020, 10:37:51 PM
The votes are visible yes, but only after your vote has been cast and the vote cannot be changed once it has been cast. Thanks!

But it won't stop some from gaming the system and having people come in to vote from them. (I worked the back end of fanfic awards for years.  I know what people will do for a jpeg, so I can only imagine they will do even more for money and publication).  I wish the vote tallies were kept hidden as they were in the last contest, as Liam noted, and only revealed once voting for each thread was closed.

Languorous Lass

Reply #17 on: October 06, 2020, 11:42:19 PM
I’m of the opposite view.  I much prefer the vote tallies being viewable after we cast our votes.  Though I didn’t submit a story, I do develop favorites, and a large part of the fun of the contest for me is being able to root for my picks as they move through the voting process (or don’t).  I will confess to having tried (unsuccessfully) to rally Forum members behind one of my picks in the Pseudopod flash contest, but it would never have occurred to me to recruit people to join the Forum just to vote for a story, and I had no idea who the author of the story was—I just loved it on its own merits.    By contrast, I didn’t enjoy the last Escape Pod contest nearly as much, at least in part because I couldn’t follow the voting process.

shanehalbach

• Matross
  • Clockwork Lasercorn
    • shanehalbach.com
Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 01:06:26 AM
I have done many of these contests over the years, and in my recollection the vote totals were always visible after one voted. So far as I know this has never caused a problem.

If anything, the usual problem is getting anybody to come in and vote; so many people drop out after maybe half way through the first round that it's hard to sustain.

pchand

• Lochage
    • I write sometimes
Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 02:55:40 AM
Thirding visible votes, I totally did the same thing as LL to try and rally votes to a favorite (well after I was knocked out). I think it would be fairly obvious if a story that wasn't doing well jumped ahead right as a bunch of new people joined??

astrokath

Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 01:21:13 PM

But it won't stop some from gaming the system and having people come in to vote from them. (I worked the back end of fanfic awards for years.  I know what people will do for a jpeg, so I can only imagine they will do even more for money and publication).  I wish the vote tallies were kept hidden as they were in the last contest, as Liam noted, and only revealed once voting for each thread was closed.

If they try to game the system, they get noticed. Trust me. We keep a close and disapproving eye on that kind of thing, and stories have been disqualified for that reason in the past. If you love a story, send your friends to read the whole group without singling it out.

John

• Extern
Reply #21 on: October 07, 2020, 03:33:05 PM
First post.  Ready to read.

Feverwood

• Hipparch
Reply #22 on: October 07, 2020, 11:07:28 PM
I normally like seeing the votes after I voted just to see how my tastes are compared to others.

astrokath

Reply #23 on: October 08, 2020, 10:39:39 AM

2. Stories will be posted anonymously. Authors of the stories that did not advance will be revealed at the end of each stage. All author names will be revealed at the end of the contest. Please do not try to publicly guess at the identities of the authors. Those posts will be deleted and the poster will be warned. As an author, please do not try to garner outside support through blogs, Twitter, Facebook, etc. If we discover that an author has revealed their authorship of a story before it is allowed (in the contest threads or elsewhere), that is grounds for disqualification of the story.

I have just disqualified a story for being publicly available elsewhere on the internet under the author's name.

Languorous Lass

Reply #24 on: October 08, 2020, 04:05:27 PM
Disappointing that someone would violate the rules of the contest.