Author Topic: 2020 Cast of Wonders Flash Fiction Contest Rules & Schedule  (Read 7180 times)

TrishEM

• Matross
Reply #25 on: October 09, 2020, 03:33:39 AM
Whyyyy would they do that? Thanks for catching it.

MilvusScribe

• Extern
    • @MilvusScribe
Reply #26 on: October 09, 2020, 04:18:24 PM
The disqualified story is still getting new votes; is that intentionally allowed? or something that needs to be addressed?

Karissa

• Autarch
Reply #27 on: October 09, 2020, 05:46:03 PM
The disqualified story is still getting new votes; is that intentionally allowed? or something that needs to be addressed?

The disqualified story "String Days" is showing zero votes when I view the poll.

The withdrawn story "My Changeling Son" had garnered some votes before the author asked to withdraw, but has gotten no new ones since the withdrawal.

At this time, I'm not planning to make any changes, but we'll continue to monitor voting.

MilvusScribe

• Extern
    • @MilvusScribe
Reply #28 on: October 09, 2020, 06:18:11 PM
Hmm, it was showing 2 yesterday morning, 3 yesterday evening, and 5 votes this morning when I viewed it. 🤔

Ah it's showing 0 now for me also

Was just checking! Thanks 😅

Languorous Lass

Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 11:10:28 PM
Karissa, are you planning to take any steps to allow people who originally voted for the withdrawn story to redirect their votes to another story? 

Karissa

• Autarch
Reply #30 on: October 10, 2020, 03:36:09 AM
Karissa, are you planning to take any steps to allow people who originally voted for the withdrawn story to redirect their votes to another story?

I had thought about that actually. Just never made a decision mainly because I'm not sure about the technical logistics. From what I can tell, I can open the that poll to allow voters to change votes but that would allow everyone who voted in that poll to change any and all their votes (which might not be that big of a deal?) And how long do I leave the option open to change a vote? Would a day be long enough?

I'm open to ideas and suggestions. Maybe those who voted for that story could DM me and I can change votes on their behalf. I just don't want to do anything that appears shady.

Languorous Lass

Reply #31 on: October 10, 2020, 03:47:47 AM
Thanks for your thoughtful response. 

Karissa

• Autarch
Reply #32 on: October 11, 2020, 01:51:34 PM
I have conferred with the  Great and Mighty Powers that Be (aka Astrokath) and we've agreed that for those 5 folks who voted for the withdrawn story in Group 3 (My Changeling Son), you may  DM me and let me know to which story you'd like to change your vote, and I'll make those changes accordingly.

Please DM before the poll closes on Tuesday  (October 13th) at Midnight EST. After that, I won't make any more changes.

silverpine

• Lochage
Reply #33 on: October 17, 2020, 09:07:06 AM
(Posting this here too just in case)

Group 13:

There's a story listed in the poll that isn't among the posted stories, thus I can't actually read it: Ephemeropterus Intergalacticus has Fulfilled his Mission

Also, Hexperts is listed as Experts in the poll.

Karissa

• Autarch
Reply #34 on: October 17, 2020, 07:08:17 PM
(Posting this here too just in case)

Group 13:

There's a story listed in the poll that isn't among the posted stories, thus I can't actually read it: Ephemeropterus Intergalacticus has Fulfilled his Mission

Also, Hexperts is listed as Experts in the poll.

Fixed! Thanks for the assist ;)

FictionPhial

• Hipparch
    • The Fiction Phial
Reply #35 on: October 19, 2020, 08:44:06 AM

Hang on.... *counts on fingers* if today is the 19th....
and the 20th is tomorrow...
doesn't that mean group 16 will be up on Wednesday?  ???

VOTING SCHEDULE:

Polls should open and close just after midnight EDT/EST on the dates below. Each group will be open for voting for a week. A new group will open each day, for example:

Group 1 will open Mon, October 5, 2020 and close Mon, October 12, 2020
Group 2 will open Tuesday, October 6, 2020 and close Tuesday, 13, 2020     

Group 16 will open Tuesday, October 20, 2020 and close Tuesday, October 27, 2020

The semi-final groups will be posted on Mon, November 2, 2020 close Mon, November 9, 2020.

The final group will start on Fri, November 13, 2020 close Fri, November 20, 2020.

"You should promise to do the impossible, because sometimes the impossible was possible, if you could find the right way, and at least you could often extend the limits of the possible.  And if you failed, well, it had been impossible." -- Going Postal

Karissa

• Autarch
Reply #36 on: October 19, 2020, 10:52:44 AM

Group 15 is open today, the 19th. (I was running a bit behind this morning)
Group16 will open tomorrow on the 20th

FictionPhial

• Hipparch
    • The Fiction Phial
Reply #37 on: October 19, 2020, 11:18:40 AM

Group 15 is open today, the 19th. (I was running a bit behind this morning)
Group16 will open tomorrow on the 20th

oh, cool! Thanks!

"You should promise to do the impossible, because sometimes the impossible was possible, if you could find the right way, and at least you could often extend the limits of the possible.  And if you failed, well, it had been impossible." -- Going Postal

Karissa

• Autarch
Reply #38 on: October 20, 2020, 02:08:31 PM
I overlooked a story in group 16. I just added it (about 4 hours after the group opened). It's called "Choices" and if anyone who has already voted in group 16 wants to change their vote to vote for this story, please DM me and I'll make changes to the voting totals accordingly.

Languorous Lass

Reply #39 on: October 22, 2020, 02:43:38 PM
So all the stories have been posted now!  I’m looking forward to seeing which ones from the most recent groups are moving on to the next round. 

Karissa

• Autarch
Reply #40 on: October 27, 2020, 01:55:21 PM
First thing is that I want to give a huge THANK YOU to all the participating authors and voters and to those who left feedback. The participation so far has been wonderful!

Second: Starting today, I'll be working to move the round 1 winning stories into their semi-finals groups. Once they move into their new voting group, they won't be visible until semi-final groups start opening again. First group of semi-final stories opens for voting on Monday, November 2nd.

Also remember that November 3rd is national voting day in the US! I hope you all will vote here for stories then go to the polls to vote for your local and national leaders.

Thanks again for all your patience, helpful feedback, and participation.

Karissa

• Autarch
Reply #41 on: October 27, 2020, 02:43:45 PM
In addition to the information above, I'm also making one more small change, stated below, based on my experience from round 1:

Polls should open and close just after midnight around 6:00 a.m. EDT/EST on the dates stated in the rules.

Liam

• Lochage
Reply #42 on: November 02, 2020, 03:44:32 PM
Are we expecting all the semi-final groups today, or are they strung out over multiple days? (Thx!)

whimsyartifice

• Palmer
Reply #43 on: November 02, 2020, 03:53:58 PM
Are we expecting all the semi-final groups today, or are they strung out over multiple days? (Thx!)

Came to ask the same question. The Rules post made it sound like all Semifinals Groups would be posted today and be up for a week, but I'm not sure myself whether that's what's happening now.

Karissa

• Autarch
Reply #44 on: November 02, 2020, 05:15:05 PM
Apparently, I don't even read my own rules!

I had it in my head that we'd open each group on a one day at a time basis like the original rounds, but now that I'm reading the rules and the schedule, I see that isn't going to work out!

So, I'm going in to open the other semi-final rounds now.

Sorry for the confusion but I'm glad y'all are here to keep me straight.

Liam

• Lochage
Reply #45 on: November 02, 2020, 05:27:16 PM
Yay! Seems fairer that way, because of the voter drop off over time. Though I might only tackle one group a day myself!

Karissa

• Autarch
Reply #46 on: November 02, 2020, 05:34:28 PM
Yay! Seems fairer that way, because of the voter drop off over time. Though I might only tackle one group a day myself!

I agree! Also, the largest majority of voters at this point are folks that have already read these stories once. Any new participants will get a whole week to read and vote, and there are far fewer stories to consider this round, so no need to provide so much time.

Also, sticking to the posted schedule ensures the contest wraps up before Thanksgiving in the US.  I think by then everyone will be more than ready to move on to other things and won't want to have this contests still hanging around out there.

Karissa

• Autarch
Reply #47 on: November 09, 2020, 03:49:45 PM
There were two groups in the semi-final round that wound up with stories tied for 3rd place. Per the rules of the contest--all stories that tied for 3rd place will advance to the next round. Therefore, instead of 18 stories in the finals, there will be 20 total.

I will start moving advancing stories into the final group tomorrow and throughout the rest of the week.

Voting for the contest winners will open this Friday, the 13th! (Y'all aren't superstitious, are you?  ;) ).

I'm excited to see how this contest ends! The stories have been really amazing this year, and I suspect selecting your favorite 3 will be hard. I know it will be for me.