Author Topic: Film Poll 22: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 15620 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: March 05, 2008, 09:51:27 PM
This week we have a situation I've been anticipating since I started these polls. I let a random number generator pick the films from the list, and some movie series have several entries. Out of all the Star Trek films, only two made the list, and their numbers both came up this week. The trekkie vote is sure to be split. Of course, if you don't like Star Trek, there are three other movies to choose from. And if you are a fan of serious cinema... well I think this week Star Trek is your best bet.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 10:24:59 PM
Wow, tough call.  I had to go with Back to the Future. 

I just saw SpaceBalls a couple weeks ago on cable, it seemed a lot funnier when I was younger.  It didn't do much for me this time around.   I think Shaun of the Dead is a much better sci-fi comedy.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 10:29:30 PM
And if you are a fan of serious cinema... well I think this week Star Trek is your best bet.

>:( Shaun of the Dead deals with serious issues about relationships and step-families and... pubs and... shotguns and... never mind.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 11:42:08 PM
That was the hardest vote, yet.  I took a pass on Spaceballs, since I've never actually seen it firsthand.  (Everyone and their giant dog, Barf, has quoted it to me in toto at some point...)

Shaun was good, but didn't twirl my dials the way BttF did; and neither Star Trek held up in my highly scientific memory test.... First Contact might have done it, tho.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 05:32:46 AM
No contest.  Star Trek II is easily the best Trek ever shot.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 05:37:30 AM
Grr. I might just hand my geek card in now.

Of all of those I have only seen one in it's entirety, and that's only because my wife likes Michael J Fox.

I think I saw a bit of a Star Trek movie once. The original cast came to 20th Century Earth and gave some dude the secret of making invisible aluminium. Why I remember that I don't know, but it's all the Star Trek movie I've seen.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 07:04:30 AM
I think I saw a bit of a Star Trek movie once. The original cast came to 20th Century Earth and gave some dude the secret of making invisible aluminium. Why I remember that I don't know, but it's all the Star Trek movie I've seen.

Well at least you've seen one of the Trek films in the poll.  That was Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 07:14:25 AM
Wow, tough call.  I had to go with Back to the Future. 

I just saw SpaceBalls a couple weeks ago on cable, it seemed a lot funnier when I was younger.  It didn't do much for me this time around.   I think Shaun of the Dead is a much better sci-fi comedy.

I never thought Spaceballs was very funny.  Think I was just in that slightly-too-serious phase of teenage years when I saw it.  And I held the films it was trying to parody in high reverence.  But still, I don't think it poked fun at the right things *about* those films.

But people do quote it all the time, so it got added to the list...

williamjamesw

• Palmer
Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 08:57:36 AM
Somehow, I don't think there'll be much of a split in the Trek vote; at least with these two as the choices

OOps, misread the Roman numeral on the second one.  I thought it was #5,  these two might give each other some competition.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:08:10 AM by williamjamesw »

I'll just go back to being silent again now.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 10:19:19 AM
I love Shaun of the Dead to tiny, tiny pieces.  It may very well be Autopised at some point in fact.

But this is all about Star Trek II.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 12:52:54 PM
I love Shaun of the Dead to tiny, tiny pieces.  It may very well be Autopised at some point in fact.

But this is all about Star Trek II.

Maybe it would have taken my vote a few weeks ago, based upon my fond memories, but after seeing it (and ST:IV, and BttF, actually) fairly recently with my kids.... well, here's a fun little thread about ST:II to distract you from realizing I don't have a point!

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 01:05:15 PM
no vote from me this time. i don't like startrek, spaceballs is lame and didn't see shaun or bttf.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 02:06:55 PM
I never thought Spaceballs was very funny.  Think I was just in that slightly-too-serious phase of teenage years when I saw it.  And I held the films it was trying to parody in high reverence.  But still, I don't think it poked fun at the right things *about* those films.

I think I got about three, maybe four, really good laughs out of Spaceballs.  It's not one of Brooks' better comedies.  Still, the Planet of the Apes joke was pure gold.

eytanz

Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 04:25:44 PM
Of all Brooks's films, Spaceballs was the one that made me laugh most when I first saw it. That was probably not unrelated to the fact that I was eleven years old at the time.

I think it's a prime example of a film that didn't age well. In 1987, a Star Wars parody was fresh and exciting; the conventions and cliches of SF were just reaching the level of mainstream in which it started making sense to make fun of them. Now, we've reached the point where not only SF cliches are tired, but the humor making fun of them is old, and the meta-humor making fun of the humor making fun of SF is starting to strain.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 09:05:04 PM
I actually had to go with Spaceballs.  Remember, I have no taste in cinema.  I was raised by wolves.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 12:35:29 AM
I actually had to go with Spaceballs.  Remember, I have no taste in cinema.  I was raised by wolves.

Cinema tastes best with barbecue sauce (I like Cattleman's because it's got kick) but I've heard it's also good with cinnamon and sugar.  Too bad wolves don't have access to such vital dietary supplements.

FamilyGuy

• Matross
Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 12:36:52 AM
"Revenge is a dish best served cold."  One of my favorite movie lines...

When will all the rhetorical questions end?

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 02:04:16 AM
"Revenge is a dish best served cold."  One of my favorite movie lines...
Years later, Ricardo Montalban would voice another villainous character to say "Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins."  :D

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 12:14:16 PM

Cinema tastes best with barbecue sauce (I like Cattleman's because it's got kick) but I've heard it's also good with cinnamon and sugar.  Too bad wolves don't have access to such vital dietary supplements.
Yeah, my lupine family didn't do much with condiments.
Rick Moranis is just amazing in that flick.  There were certainly parts that weren't very good, but Moranis just cracks me up in that flick.
Then again, I also love (and own a copy of) Ice Pirates, so what do I know?  My (French) mother-in-law says that all my taste is in my mouth.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 12:44:23 PM

Rick Moranis is just amazing in that flick.  There were certainly parts that weren't very good, but Moranis just cracks me up in that flick.
Then again, I also love (and own a copy of) Ice Pirates, so what do I know?  My (French) mother-in-law says that all my taste is in my mouth.

Ah... I never let my mother-in-law taste my mouth.  :P

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 03:18:49 PM

"You call this radar?!'
'No sir, we call this...MR COFFEE!'

Love that:)

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 03:30:15 PM
Back to the Future and Star Trek II currently tied 7-7...

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 04:01:51 PM
Back to the Future and Star Trek II currently tied 7-7...

KHAN!!!

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 08:44:22 PM

Ah... I never let my mother-in-law taste my mouth.  :P
Well, she is French, ya know...

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 09:18:45 PM
I'm glad a couple people had the taste to vote for Star Trek IV.  I wasn't one of them, but I've got very fond memories of seeing that movie when I was a kid.  Spock discovering colorful metaphors was hilarious.